Windows will not run exe files or open Internet Explorer.

B

Billy E. Karlinsey

Hi All
See prior post of mine and threads "Seem to loss file association to the ..exe file extensions"
I tried the script on line 275 did not help. I can not run REGEDIT.EXE or REGEDIT.COM also a couple of other files that I'm not familiar with REGEDT32.EXE and REGINI.EXE.I can not run REGEDIT.EXE or REGEDIT.COM also a couple of other files that I'm not familiar with REGEDT32.EXE and REGINI.EXE. Tried to run the RUN command (START) for all the above files with the proper paths. when clicking O.K. got this window: Windows cannot open this file, FILE:XXX, 1. to open this file, windows need to know what program created it. Windows can go on line to look up automatically, 2. or you can manually Select from a list of programs on your computer. Some time this would work but not on the REGEDIT files. Would get this message some of the times: The application failed to initialize properly (0X0150004) Click on OK to terminate the application.I use method to get the command window so I could run SFC /SCANNOW. In the command mode then CDing to proper folder I was able to run an EXE file. The program is call CONFIGSAFE and program like Windows restore but much more so I return to an earlier setting, But not luck with fixing the problem. At this point after running McAfee virus scan with no problems found and same with Ad-Ware SE. What is know now any EXE file I left double click on does not run the file. A right Click does not show the OPEN or the Run as.. also trying to open Internet Explorer does not work if using the help and support and click on a link, Internet Explorer will open, that I find peculiar. Going to Start-Control Panel-Add or Remove Programs will not open. I was trying to get to it to run the repair on Internet Explorer. I have exhausted my scant knowledge. How to gain access to the repair for Internet Explorer I would think is my basic problem. I did install Service Pack 2 (WindowsXP Home-CD form Microsoft) with no problems for over two months.Any other ideas out there as the next step seem to be trying a repair or reinstall with and OME CD which I know nothing about the subject and do not to lose my date files.
Billy

S

siggy

Hi Billy,
You are not alone in this crazy PC world as I am experiencing exactly
the same problems that you have described below. I am as mystified as
you. Interestingly we are both using Ad-aware SE which may be
significant and I like you have Service Pack 2 installed. Did you ever
solve the mystery.
Regards
Siggy

Ask a Question