Windows Vista Windows Vista Recovery Environment ... Did you know ...

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I was using the Windows Recovery Environment (RE) the other day, ;) and I must say I was very impressed.

This is a special version of Windows Vista included on the DVD that can be used to fix problems when Windows does not start. You have to know it's there as you might think the Vista DVD is just for installation but it could get you out of a really tight spot.

The concept isn't new as Windows CDs have been able to perform some repair functions for some time. This could take the form of an install over the old one, repairing files but without losing programs or office documents.

Windows XP has the Recovery Console, like the command prompt but with a slightly more limited list of commands. It can be used to fix problems with boot order and the like.

The Vista RE is a lot more capable. It can run System Restore, always a good thing to try first when problems strike. ;)

If you forked out for Vista Ultimate it can also recover full backups. Booting problems can also be fixed automatically. This is a common problem when experimenting with Linux. :D

What is really interesting is that the RE can now run some Windows software. The example given in the Microsoft literature is notepad. This slightly sells the upgrade short, although it still has it's place ... especially when repairing a damaged HOSTS file for example. :thumb:

Some antivirus and antispyware software can run in the RE so you can hopefully remove any offending software.

The other wonderful thing about Vista RE is that it can detect and use USB keys and hard disks. So important documents can be copied off the computer in case the only solution is to wipe the hard disk.

It could be that this feature alone may help stop the advance of Linux. Well, I often recommend using a Linux Live CD for recovering damaged system, or at least copying files. Sadly Windows Explorer does not work in Vista RE so Linux may still offer a friendlier interface until I find something that does.

More information can be found on the Window RE blog. It even has help for installing the Recovery Environment onto the computer from the DVD. But I wouldn't worry about that unless you regularly play around with Windows in a way that might break it. ;)

[EDIT: forgot to add the MS link for more info]

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/2b3724d1-f4ad-5b26-16dc-3e9e66f4be5e1033.mspx

:cool:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Very interesting Mucks, I've not used the Vista recovery console (and hopefully won't have to ;)), but this is very handy to know. :D

Reaction score
Mucks,

I will I be able to use this Windows Recovery Environment In my Vista Home Premuim.

Can you please let me know.

Thanks,

wizkid

muckshifter

Reaction score
wizkid said:
Mucks,

I will I be able to use this Windows Recovery Environment In my Vista Home Premuim.

Can you please let me know.

Thanks,

wizkid
Yes.

Applies to all editions of Windows Vista.
;)

Reaction score
Cool Thanks,

How do I use it is it like xp where you put the disk in the computer then selcect Recovery tool?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Muckshifter said:
The other wonderful thing about Vista RE

BillGatesFanBoy said:
It could be that this feature alone may help stop the advance of Linux.

I'm getting worried about you.

You getting cheques from Redmond?

No?

Ok, just sit down there, relax, take a deep breath and tell me when it started and all about it....

;)

muckshifter

Reaction score

Ask a Question