Windows XP Windows Vista Home Premium

Reaction score
I am virtually computer-illiterate and a good friend, who normally gets me out of scrapes, isn't around for a while (no, not in prison!) If any one can give me advice on the problem below, it would be much appreciated.

Briefly: my computer does automatic backups every Sunday, and has done so with no problems for well over a year. Last Sunday (11 July 2010) it came up with a message ..."backup failed". When I looked at the RECOVERY(D) hard disk drive it indicates:

Total size: 9.99 GB space free 4.83 MB !!

Looking further I find the hard disk has 2025 items on it all showing 'date modified' as either 2006 or 2008. I have no idea what the files are, they are all complete gobbledogook to me! eg

Name date modified type folder

x86 microsoft windows 2006 file folder winsxs(D:)Windows
ditto 2008 MANIFEST FILE Manifest(D:)

etc

I've tried using Disk cleanup but instead of giving me various options, it only allows me to clean up the Recycle Bin - which is empty!

If this means anything to anybody, and they have any ideas how I can get rid of the impedimenta ion my D hard drive, I would be very grateful!

Cheers! Peter

Reaction score
Windows Vista Home Premuim

Thanks very much for your assistance. I've run the chkdsk option and ticked both options:
1 automatically fix file system error
2 Scan and attempt recovery of bad sectors

It took 5 mins and said 7821 files processed "disk successfully scanned - no problems were found"

But still all the files are sitting on my D: hard disk drive and sytem nowl shows I only have 3.77mb space free!

Anyway, I am grateful to you for your suggestion. Cheers. Peter

Ask a Question