Windows Vista Business Edition Upgrade

Hello,

I work for a community college and we recently got a DVD of Windows Vista
Business Edition upgrade. The problem is that the DVD is not bootable, isn't
it spposed to be bootable? I looked at the contents of the DVD and there is
a boot directory. Also, I have read on various websites that you can boot
from an upgrade DVD. Could my DVD be faulty? I used it to install Vista and
it worked fine.

Thanks

Carey Frisch [MVP]

The upgrade version of Vista will only work when you
are are the desktop of the qualifying operating system
you intend to upgrade from, such as Windows XP.

How to install Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918884/en-us

Upgrade installation keys are blocked when you start from the Windows Vista DVD
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930985/en-us

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

:

Hello,

I work for a community college and we recently got a DVD of Windows Vista
Business Edition upgrade. The problem is that the DVD is not bootable, isn't
it spposed to be bootable? I looked at the contents of the DVD and there is
a boot directory. Also, I have read on various websites that you can boot
from an upgrade DVD. Could my DVD be faulty? I used it to install Vista and
it worked fine.

Thanks

Rock

Rich M said:
Hello,

I work for a community college and we recently got a DVD of Windows Vista
Business Edition upgrade. The problem is that the DVD is not bootable,
isn't
it spposed to be bootable? I looked at the contents of the DVD and there
is
a boot directory. Also, I have read on various websites that you can boot
from an upgrade DVD. Could my DVD be faulty? I used it to install Vista
and
it worked fine.

The DVD should be bootable. There is only one Vista DVD (except for the VL
version), all Vista versions are on it, and it's bootable. In the BIOS did
you set the DVD drive to be first in the boot order?

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
I suspect this is the volume license DVD which would be why it's not
bootable.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: "Rock" <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Re: Windows Vista Business Edition Upgrade
|>Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 15:11:13 -0800
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
|>

|>> Hello,
|>>
|>> I work for a community college and we recently got a DVD of Windows
Vista
|>> Business Edition upgrade. The problem is that the DVD is not bootable,
|>> isn't
|>> it spposed to be bootable? I looked at the contents of the DVD and
there
|>> is
|>> a boot directory. Also, I have read on various websites that you can
boot
|>> from an upgrade DVD. Could my DVD be faulty? I used it to install
Vista
|>> and
|>> it worked fine.
|>
|>The DVD should be bootable. There is only one Vista DVD (except for the
VL
|>version), all Vista versions are on it, and it's bootable. In the BIOS
did
|>you set the DVD drive to be first in the boot order?
|>
|>--
|>Rock [MVP - User/Shell]

Rock

Yes that has to be it. Didn't even think about him having a VL version.

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello,
I suspect this is the volume license DVD which would be why it's not
bootable.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: "Rock" <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Re: Windows Vista Business Edition Upgrade
|>Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 15:11:13 -0800
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
|>

|>> Hello,
|>>
|>> I work for a community college and we recently got a DVD of Windows
Vista
|>> Business Edition upgrade. The problem is that the DVD is not
bootable,
|>> isn't
|>> it spposed to be bootable? I looked at the contents of the DVD and
there
|>> is
|>> a boot directory. Also, I have read on various websites that you can
boot
|>> from an upgrade DVD. Could my DVD be faulty? I used it to install
Vista
|>> and
|>> it worked fine.
|>
|>The DVD should be bootable. There is only one Vista DVD (except for the
VL
|>version), all Vista versions are on it, and it's bootable. In the BIOS
did
|>you set the DVD drive to be first in the boot order?
|>
|>--
|>Rock [MVP - User/Shell]

Hello,

Thanks for all your replies. I'm sorry I did not mention this in my first
post, but I did not think it was important. The Community College I work for
has a Select Media Agreement and a Volume Licensing agreement with Microsoft.
That means that yes, the DVD I'm using is a volume license copy.

Thanks

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello,
I suspect this is the volume license DVD which would be why it's not
bootable.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: "Rock" <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Re: Windows Vista Business Edition Upgrade
|>Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 15:11:13 -0800
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
|>

|>> Hello,
|>>
|>> I work for a community college and we recently got a DVD of Windows
Vista
|>> Business Edition upgrade. The problem is that the DVD is not
bootable,
|>> isn't
|>> it spposed to be bootable? I looked at the contents of the DVD and
there
|>> is
|>> a boot directory. Also, I have read on various websites that you can
boot
|>> from an upgrade DVD. Could my DVD be faulty? I used it to install
Vista
|>> and
|>> it worked fine.
|>
|>The DVD should be bootable. There is only one Vista DVD (except for the
VL
|>version), all Vista versions are on it, and it's bootable. In the BIOS
did
|>you set the DVD drive to be first in the boot order?
|>
|>--
|>Rock [MVP - User/Shell]

Rock

Rich M said:
Hello,

Thanks for all your replies. I'm sorry I did not mention this in my first
post, but I did not think it was important. The Community College I work
for
has a Select Media Agreement and a Volume Licensing agreement with
Microsoft.
That means that yes, the DVD I'm using is a volume license copy.

That's the one Vista DVD that is not bootable.

Diamontina Cocktail

Are you saying Vista Business upgrade isnt bootable? What happens when your
MBR goes haywire and thus you cant boot? On XP I would boot off the CD and
fix that then the machine would work again.

Rock

Diamontina Cocktail said:
Are you saying Vista Business upgrade isnt bootable? What happens when
your MBR goes haywire and thus you cant boot? On XP I would boot off the
CD and fix that then the machine would work again.

Maybe you should read the whole thread for context? I didn't say that. The
volume license version DVD is not bootable. That is the only one.