Is Vista upgrade install disk bootable?

Is Vista upgrade install disk bootable? Is Vista full version disk bootable?
Do either one of these come in CD format or only in DVD format? I tried
booting to upgrade DVD and system just booted to hard drive. The DVD player
is the first device in the boot sequence in the bios settings.

R. C. White

Hi, Steve.

Vista is too big for a CD; all disks are DVD-ROMs. The full versions are
bootable. I'm almost sure that the upgrade DVD is bootable, too, but I've
never had one so I can't be sure.

Booting from CD/DVD can be tricky in some computers. On many, a message
appears on the second boot-up screen that says to "press any key to boot
from CD", or similar language. If no key is pressed, the computer proceeds
to boot from the hard drive.

If you tell us which computer make and model you have, or which mobo/BIOS if
you built it yourself, someone here will probably recognize it and know the
proper steps to boot that machine from CD/DVD. If you don't, we'll have to
guess, like I just did, and we'll likely guess wrong.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Seth

R. C. White said:
Hi, Steve.

Vista is too big for a CD; all disks are DVD-ROMs. The full versions are
bootable. I'm almost sure that the upgrade DVD is bootable, too, but I've
never had one so I can't be sure.

Actually, Vista is available in CD format. But A) I've only seen the
Enterprise version offered that way and B) it is too big for a single CD.
On the MS-SA/MVLS website, CD1 shows as 606MB, 2 and 3 are 639MB and disk 4
is 85MB.

R. C. White

Hi, Steve.

You still haven't told us the make and model of your computer. So we're
still just guessing. :>(

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
(e-mail address removed)
Microsoft Windows MVP
(Running Windows Live Mail beta in Vista Ultimate x64)

DFI AD77 Infinity KT400 AGp 8X DDR 400. AMD Athalon XP220+ 1.79ghz with 1
gig of memory. Built it myself.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

The Windows Vista "upgrade" DVD is not bootable. In order
to install the upgrade version, you must have either Windows
XP or 2000 installed, then begin the upgrade process while
at the desktop. A "full version" Vista DVD is bootable and
can be installed without a qualifying older Windows version
having been previously installed.

How to install Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918884/en-us

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

:

Is Vista upgrade install disk bootable? Is Vista full version disk
bootable?
Do either one of these come in CD format or only in DVD format? I tried
booting to upgrade DVD and system just booted to hard drive. The DVD player
is the first device in the boot sequence in the bios settings.

Is this a new change with Vista? Previously you could install the full
version from the upgrade disk. It would just prompt you to insert the
previous version disk for verification and the would install.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Yes, a change was made. You cannot use an upgrade
license as you can a full license. Windows Vista does
not prompt for an older Windows CD if you intend
to perform a clean install on a blank hard drive.

Installation choices for 32-bit consumer versions of Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933162/en-us

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

:

Is this a new change with Vista? Previously you could install the full
version from the upgrade disk. It would just prompt you to insert the
previous version disk for verification and the would install.

Mark

Well,

My upgrade disk boots up just fine to the repair or install functions.
Granted, I cannot do a full install from this point, but it is bootable.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
The retail upgrade Windows Vista DVD is bootable.
The only DVDs that are not bootable are the Upgrade Volume License DVD for
Windows Vista
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|> From: "Mark" <[email protected]>
|> Subject: Re: Is Vista upgrade install disk bootable?
|> Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 12:51:21 -0500
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
|>
|> Well,
|>
|> My upgrade disk boots up just fine to the repair or install functions.
|> Granted, I cannot do a full install from this point, but it is bootable.

|> > to install the upgrade version, you must have either Windows
|> > XP or 2000 installed, then begin the upgrade process while
|> > at the desktop. A "full version" Vista DVD is bootable and
|> > can be installed without a qualifying older Windows version
|> > having been previously installed.
|> >
|> > How to install Windows Vista
|> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918884/en-us
|> >
|> > --
|> > Carey Frisch
|> > Microsoft MVP
|> > Windows Shell/User
|> >
|> > --------------------------------------------------------------------
|> >
|> > "Steve T" wrote:
|> >
|> > Is Vista upgrade install disk bootable? Is Vista full version disk
|> > bootable?
|> > Do either one of these come in CD format or only in DVD format? I
tried
|> > booting to upgrade DVD and system just booted to hard drive. The DVD
|> player
|> > is the first device in the boot sequence in the bios settings.

R. C. White

Hi, Steve.

Thanks for that info. Now maybe someone will be familiar with that mobo and
can tell you how to get it to boot from your DVD.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
(e-mail address removed)
Microsoft Windows MVP
(Running Windows Live Mail beta in Vista Ultimate x64)

koze

To enter the BIOS the DEL key need to be pressed as noticed on the boot
screen, and in "Advanced BIOS features" the bootsettings can be changed

Ko