How do you make a drive bootable?

etoel

I have a dual boot setup where I boot from the first HD and start XP/Vista.
Vista is installed on a separate disk.
I don't use XP at all and want to remove that disk, but then I need to make
the Vista disk bootable.
The Vista install is on a raid volume.

I googled a little bit and found some information about bootrec and tried to
boot from the DVD and tried /fixboot, but nothing happens.

When I load the recovery console it doesn't display any Vista installations,
so I wasn't very surprised that bootrec failed. I then proceeded to load the
driver for the raid controller, but still no installations are displayed...

Is there a simple way to make a disk bootable for Vista - on a raid
volume...?

Thanks

/Erik

John Barnes

Make your RAID drive first in boot priority. Then run the Start-up repair
from the Vista DVD (sometimes takes more than 1 time).

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
I think you have to set the partition active first.
The partition that you boot from has to be a primary partition and it has
to be active
Disk Management shows you which partition is active and identifies the
Primary partitions.
Right-click My computer, Mange, choose Disk Management
I am not sure that Startup-Repair sets a volume as Active you may have to
do that first.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|> From: "John Barnes" <[email protected]>
|> Subject: Re: How do you make a drive bootable?
|> Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 11:10:52 -0800
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
|>
|> Make your RAID drive first in boot priority. Then run the Start-up
repair
|> from the Vista DVD (sometimes takes more than 1 time).

XP/Vista.
|> >Vista is installed on a separate disk.
|> > I don't use XP at all and want to remove that disk, but then I need to
|> > make the Vista disk bootable.
|> > The Vista install is on a raid volume.
|> >
|> > I googled a little bit and found some information about bootrec and
tried
|> > to boot from the DVD and tried /fixboot, but nothing happens.
|> >
|> > When I load the recovery console it doesn't display any Vista
|> > installations, so I wasn't very surprised that bootrec failed. I then
|> > proceeded to load the driver for the raid controller, but still no
|> > installations are displayed...
|> >
|> > Is there a simple way to make a disk bootable for Vista - on a raid
|> > volume...?
|> >

|> > Thanks
|> >
|> > /Erik

etoel

Yes, yes and double yes!
Thank you so much.
I never tried without setting the partition to active and I had to run the
Startup-repair twice, the first time I got the "NRLDR missing" message.

One happy clam :)

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello,
I think you have to set the partition active first.
The partition that you boot from has to be a primary partition and it has
to be active
Disk Management shows you which partition is active and identifies the
Primary partitions.
Right-click My computer, Mange, choose Disk Management
I am not sure that Startup-Repair sets a volume as Active you may have to
do that first.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|> From: "John Barnes" <[email protected]>
|> Subject: Re: How do you make a drive bootable?
|> Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 11:10:52 -0800
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
|>
|> Make your RAID drive first in boot priority. Then run the Start-up
repair
|> from the Vista DVD (sometimes takes more than 1 time).

XP/Vista.
|> >Vista is installed on a separate disk.
|> > I don't use XP at all and want to remove that disk, but then I need
|> > make the Vista disk bootable.
|> > The Vista install is on a raid volume.
|> >
|> > I googled a little bit and found some information about bootrec and
tried
|> > to boot from the DVD and tried /fixboot, but nothing happens.
|> >
|> > When I load the recovery console it doesn't display any Vista
|> > installations, so I wasn't very surprised that bootrec failed. I then
|> > proceeded to load the driver for the raid controller, but still no
|> > installations are displayed...
|> >
|> > Is there a simple way to make a disk bootable for Vista - on a raid
|> > volume...?
|> >

|> > Thanks
|> >
|> > /Erik

John Barnes

Thanks Darrell. I had assumed that it would have been active already.

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello,
I think you have to set the partition active first.
The partition that you boot from has to be a primary partition and it has
to be active
Disk Management shows you which partition is active and identifies the
Primary partitions.
Right-click My computer, Mange, choose Disk Management
I am not sure that Startup-Repair sets a volume as Active you may have to
do that first.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|> From: "John Barnes" <[email protected]>
|> Subject: Re: How do you make a drive bootable?
|> Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 11:10:52 -0800
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
|>
|> Make your RAID drive first in boot priority. Then run the Start-up
repair
|> from the Vista DVD (sometimes takes more than 1 time).

XP/Vista.
|> >Vista is installed on a separate disk.
|> > I don't use XP at all and want to remove that disk, but then I need
|> > make the Vista disk bootable.
|> > The Vista install is on a raid volume.
|> >
|> > I googled a little bit and found some information about bootrec and
tried
|> > to boot from the DVD and tried /fixboot, but nothing happens.
|> >
|> > When I load the recovery console it doesn't display any Vista
|> > installations, so I wasn't very surprised that bootrec failed. I then
|> > proceeded to load the driver for the raid controller, but still no
|> > installations are displayed...
|> >
|> > Is there a simple way to make a disk bootable for Vista - on a raid
|> > volume...?
|> >

|> > Thanks
|> >
|> > /Erik

John Barnes

Also, is SFC still not able to fix problems it finds? Another author has
written that it does, but I remember you correcting that notion too many
months ago for my search, and you also included the process that is now
necessary to fix any problems that SFC finds. Thanks