Windows Validation

LinuxRULES

Carey said:
Must be, it keeps crashing often enough and getting infected with trojans,
worms, spyware and adware on a fairly regular basis.

Pssst, got a tip for you. Windoze is UNPROTECTABLE. By its very nature it is
impossible to protect your PC if you're running Windoze. That explains why
it has not been made secure yet and never will be unless M$ rebuilds it
from scratch the way a real operating system should be built.

Cheers,
LRules

kurttrail

Roger said:
Aren't you assuming too much? Who said he can read.

ROFL! I stand corrected!

Hell, I'm not ever certain he is a real human. For all I know, it could
be some kinda random post generator!

--
Peace!
Kurt

Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers

Psst! I'll let you in on a secret: No operating system is bullet proof -
some are just targeted less than others. Who wants to write a bug that can
only infect .1% of the users out there? Where's the notoriety in that?
Script kiddies want bragging rights, and you can only get that by targeting
the big guys. Just like the schoolyard, nobody thought you were cool if you
beat up the little kids, you were only cool if you took on the bully (and
didn't get your ass handed to you).

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

kurttrail

Rick said:
Psst! I'll let you in on a secret: No operating system is bullet
proof - some are just targeted less than others. Who wants to write a
bug that can only infect .1% of the users out there?

Which is why having one companies OS on 95% of the worlds PC is a
security risk, in and of itself. Why go after a small target when you
can hit a big fat one?

Which is easier? Finding a needle in the haystack, or spitting in the
air and hoping it hits something, anything.
Where's the
notoriety in that? Script kiddies want bragging rights, and you can
only get that by targeting the big guys. Just like the schoolyard,
nobody thought you were cool if you beat up the little kids, you were
only cool if you took on the bully (and didn't get your ass handed to
you).

And Linux is a major player with servers on the web, so hitting them
would be a major news story. Just like SQL server, with Code Red.

And how about the recent MySQL bot that only affected those that ran it
on Windows?

Nothing is perfect, but the MicroMonopoly is the biggest security hole
in the computer world today. The homogeny of the Windows OS on PCs is
big fat target with a sign on it saying "Bring 'em on!"

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers

And Linux is a major player with servers on the web, so hitting them would
be a major news story. Just like SQL server, with Code Red.

You'd think so, but again no one is targeting the Linux servers, cause all
that gets from the masses is a "huh?", "what?", doesn't mean anything to
most. The vast majority only listen when a bug targets home users. Then it's
"Oh my god!, Where's the patch?".

Actually, it's sort of a good thing that Linux isn't targeted so much,
there's no one entity to hold responsible for issuing patches for the
various vulnerabilities. Who is everyone going to blame for an unpatched
security hole in some lesser iteration of Linux? I subscribe to CERT's
newsletters, and they divulge just about as many server security holes for
Linux as the do for Windows, but no one outside of sysadmins pays much
attention to them.
The homogeny of the Windows OS on PCs is big fat target with a sign on it
saying "Bring 'em on!"

Yep, no target like the big guy on the block. No one wants to pick on the
little guy.

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Duncan Edment

Guys,

I'd like to thank you all for your posts however, I am still no further
forward. I am still unable to Validate my copy of XP Pro, when once it
did validate. I refuse to call Microsoft's Premium Rate number for
technical assistance. I don't need technical assistance. What I need
is for Microsoft to recognise that my copy of XP Pro is valid,
legitimate, real, bonafide, purchased with my good hard-earned-cash.
Not pirated, not bought of some geezer down the pub, not registered
using a pirated key, but A VALID ONE!

Do Microsoft think that I would have activated the product and
registered it with valid details, if I had been using a pirated key?
That would be plain silly, would it not?

Come on Microsoft--or anyone else--help me out here?

Duncan

--
Newsgroups are like one big sandbox that all of us
UseNet kiddies play in with peace & harmony.

Spammers, Cross-Posters, and Lamers are the
people that pee in our big sandbox.

To e-mail, please remove NO_SPAM.

kurttrail

Duncan said:
Guys,

I'd like to thank you all for your posts however, I am still no
further forward. I am still unable to Validate my copy of XP Pro,
when once it did validate. I refuse to call Microsoft's Premium Rate
number for technical assistance. I don't need technical assistance.
What I need is for Microsoft to recognise that my copy of XP Pro is
valid, legitimate, real, bonafide, purchased with my good
hard-earned-cash. Not pirated, not bought of some geezer down the
pub, not registered using a pirated key, but A VALID ONE!

Do Microsoft think that I would have activated the product and
registered it with valid details, if I had been using a pirated key?
That would be plain silly, would it not?

Come on Microsoft--or anyone else--help me out here?

When you try to validate what happens?

From http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/faq.aspx:

"Greater reliability. Using genuine Microsoft software helps you stay up
to date with the features and enhancements that keep your PC running as
smoothly as possible."

"Faster access to updates. Using genuine Microsoft software is the best
way to receive the latest product updates, product enhancement and
support from Microsoft."

"Overall richer experience. New innovations and offerings exclusively
reserved for genuine Microsoft software users help you keep pace with
the latest technology and constantly expand and improve the capabilities
of your PC."

Boy, Validation sure isn't more reliable, fast, or a richer eXPerience
for you than if it didn't exist! MS's bullsh*t marketing words don't
measure up to your eXPerience that is for sure. And MS doesn't really
care if their paying customers having problems, since they already got
your money.

Again From http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/faq.aspx:

"If you cannot resolve your problem using this FAQ, then please use the
Contact Us [
http://register.microsoft.com/contactus30/contactus.asp?domain=downloadcenter ]
link at the bottom of Microsoft Download Center pages to request
additional assistance."

(800) MICROSOFT (642-7676)

Call up and complain!

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Carey Frisch [MVP]

You'll have to contact Microsoft support directly:

Microsoft Help and Support
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&prid=3518&gprid=185522

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

:

| Guys,
|
| I'd like to thank you all for your posts however, I am still no further
| forward. I am still unable to Validate my copy of XP Pro, when once it
| did validate. I refuse to call Microsoft's Premium Rate number for
| technical assistance. I don't need technical assistance. What I need
| is for Microsoft to recognise that my copy of XP Pro is valid,
| legitimate, real, bonafide, purchased with my good hard-earned-cash.
| Not pirated, not bought of some geezer down the pub, not registered
| using a pirated key, but A VALID ONE!
|
| Do Microsoft think that I would have activated the product and
| registered it with valid details, if I had been using a pirated key?
| That would be plain silly, would it not?
|
| Come on Microsoft--or anyone else--help me out here?
|
| Duncan

Leythos

I am still unable to Validate my copy of XP Pro, when once it
did validate. I refuse to call Microsoft's Premium Rate number for
technical assistance.

MS does not charge for Activation - just select the Activate by Phone
method, it's a toll-free call.

kurttrail

Leythos said:
MS does not charge for Activation - just select the Activate by Phone
method, it's a toll-free call.

MORON! *VALIDATION*! Not Activation. And why don't you bother to read
his original post, where he can't validate and was only given the option
for pay-for support to fix his Validation problem!

Do you have you head up Carey's ass too?!

--

Carey said:
You'll have to contact Microsoft support directly:

Microsoft Help and Support
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&prid=3518&gprid=185522

Why the F*#k should he have to pay MS to fix something that only helps
MS? If they want to do this Validation Crap, they should pay to solve
the problems that they are causing with it!

You are a scumbag, and so are those people at Microsoft that thought up
this Validation Crap!

Nobody should have to pay MS to fix their Validation Crap! And only
scumbags like you would even suggest such a thing! It really is time to
take your head out of your ass for once, MicroOstrich!

http://microscum.com/carey/

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Steve N.

Leythos said:
MS does not charge for Activation - just select the Activate by Phone
method, it's a toll-free call.

Uh, Lethos, Activation and Validation are not the same thing.

Steve

Leythos

Uh, Lethos, Activation and Validation are not the same thing.

Sorry, you are right, I missed that part. Since Validation is in beta why
would anyone want to run it on a machine they cared about?

Steve N.

Leythos said:
Sorry, you are right, I missed that part.

Hey, it happens :)
Since Validation is in beta why
would anyone want to run it on a machine they cared about?

Darned good point. I think it's a bit dangerous that MS is starting to
present everyone with "opportunities" to beta test their software. How
many average users out there even know what the heck "beta" means
anyway? They just see it as another update and away they go.

However, in this case the OP appears to know what he's doing and has
some valid concerns.

Personally, I have no beef about product activation and validation as
long as they actually WORK, which they don't always and when they don't
work right they just create problems for people. Microsoft needs to
remember the maxim that the customer is always right; the customer comes
first.

Steve

Alias

Steve N. said:
Microsoft needs to remember the maxim that the customer is always right;
the customer comes first.

Steve

That'll be the day. The activation/validation is just a part of the
licensing scam that assumes everyone is a pirate until they prove otherwise.
Unfortunately, until a viable alternative OS appears, MS will continue to
rip off their customers and the crackers won't care because they don't have
to go jump through the hoops that MS requires of its PAYING customers.

Leythos

Microsoft needs to remember the maxim that the customer is always right;
the customer comes first.

Steve, the customer is NOT always right. In fact, when it comes to
security and decisions about networks and performance the customer is
almost always wrong and a strong asset to a customer is a vendor that will
tell them they are wrong.

I've seen companies that operate with the ideal that the customer is
always right, but they don't actually give the customer what they need,
just lip service. I've never lost a customer and I always tell them the
truth and I've never had a customer have a problem with that.

Alias

Leythos said:
Steve, the customer is NOT always right. In fact, when it comes to
security and decisions about networks and performance the customer is
almost always wrong and a strong asset to a customer is a vendor that will
tell them they are wrong.

You are changing the subject (Strawman argument. Look it up). The subject
was activation and validation (see the Subject field). Both cases assume but
that he or she is a thief until they prove otherwise.
I've seen companies that operate with the ideal that the customer is
always right, but they don't actually give the customer what they need,
just lip service. I've never lost a customer and I always tell them the
truth and I've never had a customer have a problem with that.

Do you even know who coined the phrase "the customer is always right (even
when they're wrong)"? Or, as Ronald Reagan so eloquently put it, "I'm PAYING
for this microphone".

Steve N.

Leythos said:
Steve, the customer is NOT always right. In fact, when it comes to
security and decisions about networks and performance the customer is
almost always wrong and a strong asset to a customer is a vendor that will
tell them they are wrong.

Please don't twist my words to apply to a change of subject. The
customer pays for a product and expects it to work as advertised. The
paying customers are what keeps a company alive. You're darned right
they are always right in this regard and when companies do not give the
customer what they paid for, or worse, prevent them from using the
product they paid for, then they will eventually lose those customers.
the only thing saving MS from this reality is the temporary monopoly
they have. And trust me, it IS temporary.
I've seen companies that operate with the ideal that the customer is
always right, but they don't actually give the customer what they need,
just lip service.

Like Microsoft? Heheh. :)
I've never lost a customer and I always tell them the
truth and I've never had a customer have a problem with that.

Good for you.

Steve

Leythos

Please don't twist my words to apply to a change of subject.

I didn't twist your words, I commented specifically on the part that I
wanted to comment on. I would suggest that you should have used OTHER
words in your speech if you didn't really want it addressed.

I don't see where MS has lied to any customer or where they told they
customer the customer was wrong.

If you don't like participating in the BETA of the Validation program,
don't slam MS, beta programs have been used for decades by vendors and
it's a valid way to ask people if they WANT TO HELP TEST products so that
they are made better for all users.

?

.

The activation/validation is just a part of the
licensing scam that assumes everyone is a pirate until they prove otherwise.

Be careful, I've been preaching that since M$ first instituted this
scheme. But each and every time, the Rabid Activation Scheme
Supporters cloned by M$ are there to try and spin the whole scheme
into a more positive light. They always have the same tired old
argument articulated in the same exact sentences and words, like
reading it off the same M$ Provided Cue Card.

IT really doesn't take a brain surgeon or rocket scientist to figure
out that the only people the activation schemes encroach upon are the
honest owners of the software because the hacked/cracked versions run
by the pirates don't require jumping through hoops and activation
schemes to use..... no matter what the Rabid Activation Scheme
Supporters cloned by M$ read off their M$ Provided Cue Cards.