Windows Validation

Duncan Edment

Like some others, I too am having problems with Validation.

Previously, I went through the validation process and everything was
fine. My PC & Code validated OK.

Recently, I've been having trouble running a VB script and someone
suggested downloading Windows Script 5.6 for Windows 2000 and XP. So I
clicked on the link they had provided and then clicked on the button to
download the file. However, I was presented with the "Validate Windows"
screen, before I could download the file. As I had done it previously,
and all was OK, I didn't expect to have to go through it again. But I
thought, nothing can go wrong! How wrong I was!!

After going through several screens, without having to download any of
the ActiveX controls as I had already done it, I was presented with a
screen which informed me that I had an "Invalid License Key". I was
basically being informed that my copy of XP Pro was a pirated copy, or
at least the key was.

I tried to contact Microsoft via their on-line e-mail help, only to be
told that it was not a Windows XP Pro issue, and that I should call a
premium rate number to get assistance.

Is this typical of Microsoft now? I have a legitimate copy of XP Pro,
with a legitimate key, which has previously been entered and submitted
when I went through Activation. Every thing was fine then, so what's
changed?

Duncan

--
Newsgroups are like one big sandbox that all of us
UseNet kiddies play in with peace & harmony.

Spammers, Cross-Posters, and Lamers are the
people that pee in our big sandbox.

To e-mail, please remove NO_SPAM.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Is your copy of Windows genuine?
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/windows/default.mspx

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

:

| Like some others, I too am having problems with Validation.
|
| Previously, I went through the validation process and everything was
| fine. My PC & Code validated OK.
|
| Recently, I've been having trouble running a VB script and someone
| suggested downloading Windows Script 5.6 for Windows 2000 and XP. So I
| clicked on the link they had provided and then clicked on the button to
| download the file. However, I was presented with the "Validate Windows"
| screen, before I could download the file. As I had done it previously,
| and all was OK, I didn't expect to have to go through it again. But I
| thought, nothing can go wrong! How wrong I was!!
|
| After going through several screens, without having to download any of
| the ActiveX controls as I had already done it, I was presented with a
| screen which informed me that I had an "Invalid License Key". I was
| basically being informed that my copy of XP Pro was a pirated copy, or
| at least the key was.
|
| I tried to contact Microsoft via their on-line e-mail help, only to be
| told that it was not a Windows XP Pro issue, and that I should call a
| premium rate number to get assistance.
|
| Is this typical of Microsoft now? I have a legitimate copy of XP Pro,
| with a legitimate key, which has previously been entered and submitted
| when I went through Activation. Every thing was fine then, so what's
| changed?
|
| Duncan

Duncan Edment

Carey,

As I already explained, yes my copy of XP Pro is legitimate. I visited
the site you listed as the Validation Failure page points you there. My
CD exhibits all the hallmarks of a valid copy of XP Pro.

But, what gets me most is, in order to download MS AntiSpyware, I had to
validate my copy of windows. This went through without a problem. Now,
it fails.

Duncan

--
Newsgroups are like one big sandbox that all of us
UseNet kiddies play in with peace & harmony.

Spammers, Cross-Posters, and Lamers are the
people that pee in our big sandbox.

To e-mail, please remove NO_SPAM.

Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers

Don't have that answer. Hopefully it will work correctly when the time
comes.

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Duncan Edment

Rick,

That's what I did in the end. However, I am still concerned about the
fact that my copy of XP Pro passed validation once before, but now
fails. Nothing has changed since then, when I downloaded MS AntiSpyware
and had to validate my copy. It validated fine. Now, it fails.
Microsoft have somehow decided that I no longer have a valid,
hologramed, perfectly legitimate copy of Win XP Pro, but instead a
pirated copy, or at least a pirated key.

And, as Alias points out in the next post, what do I do when Validation
becomes a necessary requirement? I ain't going to buy another copy of
XP, just so that Bill's bank balance can get increased and I can
validate a copy of XP. Anyway. who's to say the same thing wont happen
again?

Duncan

--
Newsgroups are like one big sandbox that all of us
UseNet kiddies play in with peace & harmony.

Spammers, Cross-Posters, and Lamers are the
people that pee in our big sandbox.

To e-mail, please remove NO_SPAM.

Steve N.

Alias said:
That will work now but when validation is a requirement, then what?

Alias

Then you either shell out more money to Micro$cam or use a different OS.

Steve

kurttrail

Rick said:
Don't have that answer. Hopefully it will work correctly when the time
comes.

Wishful thinking, Rick. PA is required right now, and it still has its
flaws and errors.

And what about the crap of sending people to pay-for support just to
download a file to repair his installation? Windows Script is part of
the OS, isn't it. And if that is the cause of the failure to validate,
shouldn't that support be free, since no end user really needs
Validation, only MS does. How many people is MS gonna fool into buying
support through this Validation crap?!

Sorry Rick, but this validation crap is just another MicroScheme for MS
to sell people per-instance support. And again, it does nothing to stop
piracy where it lives, with the criminals and the countries that support
piracy. Just another load of crap for MS's paying customers to endure!

--
Peace!
Kurt

Roger

You'll probably have to place a call to India, like I did to validate mine.
That seems to be where microsoft wants us to validate nowadays.
Sheesshhhh!

kurttrail

Steve said:
Kurt was right, Carey is relapsing into his old habits again.

He just needs a good bitch-slapping every once in a while! ;-)

--

Roger said:
You'll probably have to place a call to India, like I did to validate mine.
That seems to be where microsoft wants us to validate nowadays.
Sheesshhhh!

Hey, how often do you get to make a toll-free call to India? Count the
hidden benefits. While you're on the phone with the Indian person start
up a casual conversation, it can be fun. :) And most of those Indians
speak better English than you and I do. Probably better educated, too.

Steve

Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers

Hey,

Admittedly I do not fully agree with WPA (I personally believe they should
use a household license), and I am not a big fan of the new validation
scheme either, but that doesn't mean we aren't going to have to deal with
it.
Wishful thinking, Rick. PA is required right now, and it still has its
flaws and errors.

Sure, so do Creative sound drivers, and they've been around for a while too.
If they are going to insist on having these things in place, that's fine,
and it's their choice. I intend to push them to get it right or get rid of
it, but not by griping about it.
And what about the crap of sending people to pay-for support just to
download a file to repair his installation?

He was told to go there to correct the validation issue, not for the
download. This is obviously a failure of the validation scheme.
Windows Script is part of the OS, isn't it. And if that is the cause of
the failure to validate, shouldn't that support be free, since no end user
really needs Validation, only MS does. How many people is MS gonna fool
into buying support through this Validation crap?!

I've yet to hear of anyone paying to have their validation corrected. The
download is free, as it should be, and I provided a way to get to it. If
they mandate validation, and it's not right, they will hear about it - and I
won't be alone. A small, very vocal minority got the right person's ear and
ended up getting extended support for Win98, well past the original
announced deadline. Those same voices are still talking to the right people.
Sorry Rick, but this validation crap is just another MicroScheme for MS to
sell people per-instance support. And again, it does nothing to stop
piracy where it lives, with the criminals and the countries that support
piracy. Just another load of crap for MS's paying customers to endure!

That's one way of looking at it, but I don't share that view based on
experience thus far. As you well know, WPA and now the GV are attempts to
curb "casual" piracy. Even MS knows it isn't going to stop those that really
want to crack it. As I've said, I don't know of anyone that actually had to
pay to have incorrect reporting to the validation routine corrected.

Indeed.

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

kurttrail

Steve said:
Are you volunteering? I did it last time, so it's somebody else's
turn. :)
Steve

I doubt he even reads my posts anymore.

--

Rick said:
Hey,

Admittedly I do not fully agree with WPA (I personally believe they
should use a household license), and I am not a big fan of the new
validation scheme either, but that doesn't mean we aren't going to
have to deal with it.

Yeah, but maybe we can get them to support peole having associated
problems with it for free, instead of redirecting them to pay-for
support.
Sure, so do Creative sound drivers, and they've been around for a
while too. If they are going to insist on having these things in
place, that's fine, and it's their choice. I intend to push them to
get it right or get rid of it, but not by griping about it.

Yeah, but Drivers actually do something for the End User. Validation
does absolutely nothing for the End User, except when it goes wrong.
He was told to go there to correct the validation issue, not for the
download. This is obviously a failure of the validation scheme.

I've yet to hear of anyone paying to have their validation corrected.

Yeah, but this guy has a problem getting validated. Whether it's his
OS, or the Validation Code itself, he shouldn't be directed to pay-for
support when all he needed was the file to fix Windows Script.
The download is free, as it should be, and I provided a way to get to
it. If they mandate validation, and it's not right, they will hear
about it - and I won't be alone. A small, very vocal minority got the
right person's ear and ended up getting extended support for Win98,
well past the original announced deadline. Those same voices are
still talking to the right people.

Let's hope that happens before validation goes prime time.
That's one way of looking at it, but I don't share that view based on
experience thus far. As you well know, WPA and now the GV are
attempts to curb "casual" piracy. Even MS knows it isn't going to
stop those that really want to crack it. As I've said, I don't know
of anyone that actually had to pay to have incorrect reporting to the
validation routine corrected.

But we have this guy, that if it happened when mandatory validation goes
live, he would have been stuck in a Catch 22, knowing something was
wrong with his OS, knowing what to do to fix it, but not being able to
the download until he paid for support, all because his problem also
affected his ability to validate.

Just seems wrong to me on a visceral level, especially since validation
does nothing but cause unnecessary hassles for End Users.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Greg R

If I do have a problem when Microsoft Requires validation. I will be
using bigfix.

If people have trouble updating there instant message client because
of validation problem. You can get another chat client that will work
with msn servers

I just hope. When I purchase software from Microsoft that requires
activation (Buying it at the store). I won’t have to validate it as
well.

You can get big fix from http://help.bigfix.com/

Greg R
My next system will be either a mac, a Linux or a custom built windows
98se system. Since, I have most of the updates on a the cdrom. I
mainly use older software.