Windows XP Windows update?

Reaction score
Had a problem yesterday maybe someone else can fathom it out [Mucks-FBS]:D this is what happened. Windows XP update :eek:>download and pick a time to install as I always have > it started in the usual way then; all hell let loose
wallbash.gif
> PC froze > had to rebooted and back, staying off line> checked the usual nothing thwart went online every thing ok until> I connected to Windows update manually> froze again?
wallbash.gif
Checked manager and > SVCHOST EXE using 100% CPU I waited 40mins in the end had to reboot by unplugging the mains, looked on a few sites and apparently has happened to millions of users mainly if they have not got SP1-SP2 I have SP2 so that puts a spanner in the cog? I then built another PC using the same disc as before and no problems, I have used all the components in other PCs and they are all functioning OK. Boinc uses 90-99% and I don’t get any problems? I still can’t work it out.:rolleyes:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Another one of those windows mysteries...I wouldn't worry about it Itsme...

Reaction score
crazylegs said:

I aint:D but it would be nice to know the cause:user: Bloody MS cant wait to see the cockup with Vista:lol:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
when the sh1t hits the fan ... duck!

crazylegs said:
Correct ... been there seen it done it.

;)

Oh, and no problem here with MS updates in either XP or Vista. :)

user.gif

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Windows Update

Hi All,
Can't help but just had the same problem - cursor moving but couldn't do anything, even reboot. Had to pull the plug.
Cheers,
peahouse05:nod:

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Windows Update

Hi Mucks,
Must be a hell of a coincidence! Was updating Viglen 650MHz, site had searched for updates and on the page after that there was a long error code OOOsomething I think.
Had to switch off power to get out.
Was given this PC with XP on it.
Cheers,
peahouse05:thumb:

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
err, did you read the date on that ... it's 4 years old.

:rolleyes:

Yep I sure did :nod: But there are newer ones :nod: I will find some and post back:p

muckshifter

Reaction score
I don't see your point ... :confused:

You had a 'problem' ... you blame it on Windows Update ... you 'fix' the problem by reinstalling, well you went further and re-built ... and now you want to know what the problem was in the first place?

How the hell would I know ... sh1t happens with SVCHOST, it runs so much of the hardware you probably had a bad driver ... why not start by listing the PC specs NEXT time. :rolleyes:

And all of your links are unsolved too ... I ain't gonna help 'em.

:confused:

peahouse ... that 650 running XP will 'crap out' on many occasions, live with it. :p

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
I don't see your point ... :confused:
And all of your links are unsolved too ... I ain't gonna help 'em.
That is the point?:p ;) Out of all the forums [1000s] no one has found the answer not even MS?:confused:

I built the PC in question in 2001 and in all that time it had never ever crashed/stopped or let me down in any way:D , the only thing I ever did to it [2004] was upgrade and install XP with SP2 from XP singular, I ran BOINC with no problems at all until when it was downloading updates thier site just froze:confused:, I did everything I knew reinstalled all drivers but to no avail, hence there was nothing else I could do but to build another PC for Crunching purposes so there you have it, Oh and a lot of the components I have reused in the new PC >RAM> HDD>DVDD>Etc: >Crunch>Crunch>Crunch:D
The spec> Asrock MB K7S8X > CPU AMD ATHLON 2.6 >1GIG 2700 DDR RAM >MAXTOR HDD 120 GIG IDE> :blush:

muckshifter

Reaction score
ah, there you go, that asshole MB will catch you out again ... may take another year or so. :p

For every 1000 people that have a 'problem' there are 100,000 who don't ... Why do people use Windows?

Don't answer that ...
happywave.gif

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
ah, there you go, that asshole MB will catch you out again ... may take another year or so. :p

The MB is fine:D after all it is 5 years old and still going>>>>>>>>>>>

I won`t answer the rest:lol: ;)

Ask a Question