Windows update error 0x800c0005

Rob p.

Can not get to updates. Keep getting error 0x800c0005
please help. looked on faq's but my error not listed.
thanks, Rob

Rashmi.K.Y [MSFT]

Hi,

I understand that you are unable to perform Windows updates. The system
displays error 0x800c0005.

Please try the following suggestions. Check the windows update after
performing each suggestion. If the suggestion works, stop at that point.

Suggestion 1:

1. Go to Internet options-->connections-->LAN settings-->uncheck
automatically detect settings'OK
2. Uninstall any firewall software and antivirus and check if you are able
to do Windows update

Suggestion 2:

1. Click on start -> run
2. Type cmd and click OK
3. In the command prompt, type the following commands one after the other
and press enter.

REGSVR32 SOFTPUB.DLL
REGSVR32 WINTRUST.DLL
REGSVR32 INITPKI.DLL

Now check if the Windows update works.

Suggestion 3:

This error can occur if you have mapped network drives configured and you
don't have the correct permissions to access them. Try disconnecting all
mapped network drives and then try accessing the Windows Update site and
see if the installs still fail.

Suggestion 4:

If you are using the NTFS file system on your hard drive(s) then try these
steps.
Check permissions on the C:\WUTemp folder (if you have more than one hard
drive, check this folder on each drive).

1. Open Windows Explorer.
2. Navigate to the C:\WUTemp folder.
3. Right-click on the folder name and select Properties from the popup
menu.
4. Click on the Security tab.
5. Set Full Control access for the following accounts:
Users
Power Users
Administrators
6. Click Apply, and then OK.
7. Now try accessing the Windows Update site.

Suggestion 5:

1. Click on Start, Run and type "REGEDIT" (w/o the quotes). The Registry
Editor will open.

WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that
may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot
guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor
can be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate

3. On the upper menu, click on Edit, and select Permissions from the
drop-down list.

4. Give Administrator (And / Or System) Full Control and Read permissions
by checking the allow boxes.

NOTE: In certain instances these boxes are grayed out.
Insure that all accounts have appropriate permissions.

5. Click Apply, and then OK.
6. Close the Registry Editor.
7. If you had to make any changes, then try the Windows Update site and
see if the error persists.

Hope the issue is resolved.

Thank you,

Rashmi