Windows Mail, IE7 and Outlook unable to access Internet

John Kotuby

I bought a new Dell (for my home machine) with Windows Vista ultimate so
that I could code software faster with Visual Studio 2005. It's a good
thing that I wasn't still on VS 2003 as Microsoft is not even planning
on supporting that version of their own development software.

Now for some reason the Internet is not accessible from IE7, Outlook or
Windows mail. People have been asking me if I installed a 3rd party
firewall. I have not.

Of course I will continue searching for the answers in appropriate
Newsgroups. I was hoping that someone might point out an obvious setting
that I might have changed by accident... even though I have only tried
lowering the Security settings to the lowest level possible.

Yes, all 3 programs accessed the Internet for a few weeks...so apparently
something occurred as I was trying to find the proper AV program to install.

Note that I have installed Firefox and Thunderbird and they are working just
fine for email and browsing.

The Dell came loaded with McAffee AV which expired after 30 days. I
uninstalled that and installed the latest version of Panda IS 2007, freshly
downloaded from their site, which I had a license for and claimed to be
compatible with Vista. Panda runs fine on all my XP machines, but it was
conflicting with something in Vista upon startup (sorry I don't remember the
exact error message at the moment).

I uninstalled Panda IS. It may be about that time that IE and the other
progs stopped accessing the Internet. I don't have enough evidence however
to make that connection conclusive.

Since another poster had mentioned browser hijackers as a possibilty, I
purchased Norton Av 2007 and installed that, so I could run a complete
malware scan. The machine came up clean. However, I should mention that it
took 2 attempts to install Norton. The first attempt left me with a problem
using Norton Live Update to get AV def updates.

I uninstalled Norton and reinstalled and now liveupdate works fine.

But here is the strange part, which I just realized last night. Every
program that is on that machine, with the exception of the MS programs which
are now having a problem, can access the Internet to update their files
without a problem. So it's not just the Mozilla products that are working
OK.

Obviously there is something in common with the way all 3 (IE7, Outlook 2007
and WM) access the Internet that is different than all the other programs. I
suppose when I find out what that commonality is, I may find the answer.

I am trying to avoid a disk format and re-install of Vista. Even if I did
that, until I find out what is causing the current problem, I may end up in
the same boat anyway.

So, for now, it's Mozilla to the rescue, even though I would like to be
able to test my ASP.NET 2.0 web project with IE7 as well as Firefox.

Well...hold the presses...now that I mentioned testing my web project, I
just tried accessing http://localhost with IE7 and it worked! Ok, now I have
more information to work with.

Thanks for your help... John

John,

I have had the same problem with Outlook and IE7 using Norton Security. I
had to open my firewall settings go to the list of trusted programs and
delete outlook as a trusted program. I then added it again with the same
settings. I also did this with IE7. After that everything worked fine.

I know you dont have Norton but it could be a common issue with Vista across
different firewall programs.

-Vicente

Gary VanderMolen

I can't speak for the other apps, but it is a known fact that Norton and
McAfee security products do not coexist well with Windows Mail.

Gary VanderMolen