Windows Mail ... encoding/mime problems in sent e-mails

Grant - CNW

I migrated my email from Outlook Express to Windows Mail...
for the mosst part, I like the new features and support in the new Mail
program...
But I have come across one problem that I can't figure out...
searching the posts on this forum, no one else seems to be having the same
problem...

When I send a new e-mail OR reply to an e-mail from a contact, the email
content is shifted to the bottom of the email and a ton (about 30-50 lines)
of MIME encoding information is imbedded in the top portion of the email.
I have tried changing encoding... to reply in senders format... or default
to Windows instead of ISO format... all with no resolution.
People complain about the emails they get from me from my Windows Mail
account... but if I send from Outlook Express, from hotmail web interface,
or my Blackberry... all is good and encoding info is not included. Seems
to be some Windows Mail setup issue... running on Vista Ultimate x64... with
latest updates applied as of now...

Any ideas? ...Grant

Here's an example of encoding included... email addresses removed to prevent
SPAM...
From: (e-mail address removed)
To: (e-mail address removed)
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 08:18:36 -0800

(e-mail address removed)> <[email protected]>
Bcc: "Grant" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: RE:
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 11:18:30 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0026_01C873B2.52500D10

email easier to read in this format/encoding? ...g

EEKS... what is all the stuff?

More importantly, how do I turn it OFF?!

Gary VanderMolen

That's not MIME encoding. Those are normal headers that every
message has, but normally you don't see those until you press
Ctrl-F3. They certainly should not appear in the body of the
email message. Can't say I've ever seen this problem before.
One of the usual culprits for odd problems is your antivirus program.
Which AV are you running? If McAfee or Norton, would you
consider uninstalling it (as a test) to see if that cures the problem?

Grant - CNW

No anti-virus software is installed yet... :)
Ctrl-F3 shows the Message Header... the stuff I am seeing is prefix in the
content...
Perhaps the Hotmail service is adding this info? Emails sent between
hotmail.com users...
Seems to be issues with multi-part translation or character set-1252 ?

I tried sending various encoded emails (Western European(ISO), Western
European(Windows), etc) to myself at hotmail and they all come in okay...
but if I reply to user's email (read in Western European(ISO)) and BCC
myself, it comes in with the encoding/charset info... see another example
attached from this morning... very strange...

EXAMPLE
======

Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 08:43:17 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0060_01C87465.CDDB4F40

------=_NextPart_001_0061_01C87465.CDDB4F40

**********************************
EMAIL CONTENT HERE (removed)
**********************************

Gary VanderMolen

Is this problem limited to replies sent to Hotmail recipients?
That seems contrary to what you were saying before, about the problem
occurring even when originating a new message in Windows Mail.
If it is strictly a Hotmail problem, this is not the right forum for that.
AFAIK, none of the regular responders here are Hotmail experts.

Grant - CNW

No, I don't think it is limited to Hotmail... but I will do some more
testing and post the results in next little bit... thanks.. .Grant

Grant - CNW

Confirmed... problem occurs when sending NEW or REPLY emails to HOTMAIL
recipients... other ISP email addresses work fine... I will follow-up with
Hotmail support... thanks for your help... Grant

Gary VanderMolen

OK, good luck with that. Frankly, I haven't heard much in the way of
positive kudos for Hotmail support.

N. Miller

[...]

Your example doesn't look different from what I would normally expect to
see. I sent a test email between two Hotmail accounts, using Windows Live
Mail, and don't see what you describe.

Here are my examples, body content copied from the WLM message pane:

Exhibit B (Hotmail account 'A' to Hotmail account 'B', using WLM 12.0.1606):

| I don't think this is any more a WLM problem than it is a WM problem.
|
| Norman
| ~Doko ni mo nai sono basho e
| ~Ima hajimaru utagoe ga
| ~Todoite-iru, michibiite'ru
| ~Takaraka ni to heaven

Exhibit B (Hotmail account 'A' to Hotmail account 'B', using MSIE 7):

| Header content in the email body...a Windows Live Mail issue?
|

| --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Helping your favorite cause is as easy as instant messaging. You IM, we give. Learn more.

Exhibit C (Hotmail 'B' reply to Hotmail 'A', using WLM 12.0.1606):

(There is a format issue here, where the quoted text is not set off with
quote characters. I need to investigate the Options to see if I can adjust
that to my taste. From the "Norman" signature to the top should have a quote
indicator.)

Exhibit D (Hotmail 'B' reply to Hotmail 'A', using MSOE 6):

This one is just a problem with the inability of the copy function to copy
the RTF display format. In the original I am copying from there is a solid,
vertical black line from the "Original Message" text to the "Helping
your..." text of the Windows Live Hotmail advert tag.

In neither of the original messages were there any header lines in the
message body. In both of the replies, there were only brief header lines,
quoted from the original message, but no header lines from the reply,
itself.

I am not sure what the source of your problem might be; but I can't
replicate it at all.

BTW, in terms of what is which:

Windows Mail (desktop mail client included with Windows Vista)

Previously:
Windows Live Mail (Was formerly "MSN Hotmail".)
Windows Live Mail desktop (Beta) (The old name for the desktop client, when
MSN Hotmail was changed to Windows Live Mail.)

Currently:
Windows Live Hotmail (Was formerly "Windows Live Mail".)
Windows Live Mail (Was formerly "Windows Live Mail desktop".)

Even after all the confusion MSFT caused by using similar names for two very
different products (MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express), they still couldn't
keep their product names straight.

For matters pertaining to anything "Hotmail", the best newsgroup is still:

'microsoft.public.msn.discussion'

This would include the product MSFT currently calls, "Windows Live Hotmail".

If you want to discuss matters pertaining to the desktop client, now called,
"Windows Live Mail", go here:

'microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop'

The newsgroup name retains the old name for the client, which incuded
'desktop', all lower case, but which is now called simply, "Windows Live
Mail".

carol harada

Grant - CNW said:
[...]

By changing the default hotmail server in Windows Live Mail Desktop
client...

....from...
http://mail.services.live.com/DeltaSync_v1.0.0/sync.aspx

....to...

http://mail.services.live.com/DeltaSync_v2.0.0/sync.aspx
....or...
http://mail.services.live.com/DeltaSync_v3.0.0/sync.aspx

it resolved the problem. I have done this for all of my HOTMAIL accounts
under WLM desktop...
I suspect that the http://mail.services.live.com/DeltaSync_v1.0.0/sync.aspx
setup or server... imbeds the encoding info as some kind of debug setting...

HOTMAIL server issues...

But at least there is a workaround... Grant :)

Grant - CNW

Changing HOTMAIL account server to
http://mail.services.live.com/DeltaSync_v2.0.0/sync.aspx OR
http://mail.services.live.com/DeltaSync_v3.0.0/sync.aspx

FROM
http://mail.services.live.com/DeltaSync_v1.0.0/sync.aspx

solved the problem... FYI... thanks... grant

N. Miller said:
I migrated my email from Outlook Express to Windows Mail...
for the mosst part, I like the new features and support in the new Mail
program...
But I have come across one problem that I can't figure out...
searching the posts on this forum, no one else seems to be having the
same
problem...

When I send a new e-mail OR reply to an e-mail from a contact, the email
content is shifted to the bottom of the email and a ton (about 30-50
lines)
of MIME encoding information is imbedded in the top portion of the email.
I have tried changing encoding... to reply in senders format... or
default
to Windows instead of ISO format... all with no resolution.
People complain about the emails they get from me from my Windows Mail
account... but if I send from Outlook Express, from hotmail web
interface,
or my Blackberry... all is good and encoding info is not included.
Seems
to be some Windows Mail setup issue... running on Vista Ultimate x64...
with
latest updates applied as of now...

Any ideas? ...Grant

Here's an example of encoding included... email addresses removed to
prevent
SPAM...

EEKS... what is all the stuff?

More importantly, how do I turn it OFF?!

Your example doesn't look different from what I would normally expect to
see. I sent a test email between two Hotmail accounts, using Windows Live
Mail, and don't see what you describe.

Here are my examples, body content copied from the WLM message pane:

Exhibit B (Hotmail account 'A' to Hotmail account 'B', using WLM
12.0.1606):

| I don't think this is any more a WLM problem than it is a WM problem.
|
| Norman
| ~Doko ni mo nai sono basho e
| ~Ima hajimaru utagoe ga
| ~Todoite-iru, michibiite'ru
| ~Takaraka ni to heaven

Exhibit B (Hotmail account 'A' to Hotmail account 'B', using MSIE 7):

| Header content in the email body...a Windows Live Mail issue?
|

| --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Helping your favorite cause is as easy as instant messaging. You IM, we
give. Learn more.

Exhibit C (Hotmail 'B' reply to Hotmail 'A', using WLM 12.0.1606):

Thanks for your feedback. As I suspected, the problem was with the
Hotmail server, or with some aspect of how the server settings
were saved in your Windows Live Mail. Did you try simply deleting
the Hotmail account, and then recreating the account in WLM?

Ken Allison

"When I send a new e-mail OR reply to an e-mail from a contact, the email content is shifted to the bottom of the email and a ton (about 30-50 lines)
of MIME encoding information is imbedded in the top portion of the email."

My first recognition of this major MS goof was a call from my attorney. He punched the print button to get a copy of my message which had a document in PDF format attached. He said he came back later and shut down the printer -- 200-plus sheets of paper on the floor. MIME encoded that PDF in alpha characters page after page after page. The best work-around I have found is to re-do the settings on Outlook Express and connect via gmail.com. Dump Windows Live Mail NOW FAST. Ken Allison