windows mail crashes when signature is inserted into emails

zareen12345

Whenever I write an email and try to insert my signature before sending,
WindowsMail crashes and closes, and I get the following error message:

"Windows Mail could not be started. The application was unable to open the
Windows Mail message store..... Close the program or wait for it to complete
its operation, then open Windows Mail again. (0x800C0155)"

I tried creating a signature and asking it to "always insert" the signature,
but whenever I tried to create a new signature, it crashed as well. We ran
the wmutility program yesterday and still no success.

Gary VanderMolen

One thing you should try as a possible quick fix is to delete that
potentially corrupted mail account, restart Windows Mail, then
recreate that account. If that didn't fix the problem, read on:

That problem may be caused by interference from an antivirus program.
Which antivirus are you running? Some of them cause problems with
Windows Mail over time. As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus
should be turned off, although that may not be sufficient to eliminate
all bad effects. In a worst case scenario, your antivirus may need to be
uninstalled/reinstalled or replaced.

Email scanning in any antivirus should be disabled, for reasons
explained here:

As an alternative to replacing your antivirus, consider upgrading to
Windows Live Mail, because it is less prone to suffering bad effects from
overly intrusive antivirus programs:
http://download.live.com/wlmail

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)