"Windows Mail can compact the message store"

Sam Hobbs

Windows does many things automatically that you have no knowledge of. Since
we don't know what Windows is doing, we cannot be sure that everything in
our system is valid. There is just too much of an opportunity for malicious
software to do things without our knowledge.

In this situation, Windows Mail is informing you that it needs to do
something. It is so unusual for Windows software to do that that some people
think it is a problem. It is a good thing that Windows is telling you what
it is doing. The problem is the many other times that Windows does things
that it does not tell you.

Sometimes people do many chores, but instead of getting credit for what they
do do, they get criticized for what they don't do. Don't be one of the do do
critics.

jamguitar

Richard Urban said:
When you delete messages the space isn't necessarily freed up. By compacting
the store occasionally, every 100 shutdowns by default, it keeps the store
smaller than it otherwise would be. This is a good thing BTW.

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

RICH2532

Carol in GA said:
I've had Vista installed for almost a month now and this evening I keep
getting a message when I close Windows Mail that says:

"Windows Mail can compact the message store. This can take a few minutes."
and asks "OK or Cancel"

What is this?

Sam Hobbs

If compacting caused a problem for every person, then this newsgroup would
be so busy that it would be useless. If even a small percentage of Windows
Mail users had the problem, there would be multiple message every day.

What "recurring thread" are you referring to? I sure don't see one. As best
as I remember, there has not been any such messages in the past month. I
could be wrong but if there were more than a couple then I should remember
them.

Steve Cochran

Compacting in Outlook Express resulted often in message loss. This does not
appear to be the case in WinMail due to the fact that only the database now
is compacted. However, its always important to backup as your hard drive
could fail. See www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx and the section on WinMail to
see what to backup.

steve

Graham IA/DU

Carol like you and millions of others we get these stupid messages from the
Microsoft Boffins. Even when my mail folders are totally empty I get this.
You could change to IMAC.

the only thing they are great at is offering lots of useless suggestions.
HMGW IA/DU16

Bruce Hagen

You let it compact.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

"Gunner in Woodstock" <Gunner in (e-mail address removed)>

Lambo

Exactly WHAT did Microsoft PUT on my computer recently to cause these POP UPS
upon start-up. I've had this VISTA beast for two years now. I DO NOT USE
"Microsoft Mail". I do use Outlook. So, when I DID follow the instructions
to "compact myself" to get rid of the warnings...MS Mail of course started
downloading two years worth of mail from my mail server for crying out loud.
While it was doing that, I set it to "compact myself", and yet the box still
comes up. Exactly WHAT update did this of recent? I will UNDO that update.
- Signed, tired of MS after 30 years, thinking of Apple

Bruce Hagen said:
You let it compact.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]
Imperial Beach, CA

"Gunner in Woodstock" <Gunner in (e-mail address removed)>
wrote in message
How do you delete the messages?

.

Bruce Hagen

Microsoft Mail has not been used in about 15 years. Do you mean Windows
Mail? If you don't use Windows Mail, why did you have an account set up in
it? The messages wouldn't have downloaded if you hadn't
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

Lambo said:
Exactly WHAT did Microsoft PUT on my computer recently to cause these
POP UPS
upon start-up. I've had this VISTA beast for two years now. I DO NOT
USE
"Microsoft Mail". I do use Outlook. So, when I DID follow the
instructions
to "compact myself" to get rid of the warnings...MS Mail of course
started
downloading two years worth of mail from my mail server for crying out
loud.
While it was doing that, I set it to "compact myself", and yet the box
still
comes up. Exactly WHAT update did this of recent? I will UNDO that
update.
- Signed, tired of MS after 30 years, thinking of Apple

Bruce Hagen said:
You let it compact.
--

:

I've had Vista installed for almost a month now and this evening I
keep
getting a message when I close Windows Mail that says:

"Windows Mail can compact the message store. This can take a few
minutes."
and asks "OK or Cancel"

What is this?

.

Gary VanderMolen

Windows Mail (not Microsoft Mail) can't download a single message
unless you first set up a mail account in it.
You need to figure out what you are doing that is causing
Windows Mail to run. You can also set it to "not available":

Open the Default Programs applet, then click on "Set program
access and computer defaults." Expand the Custom selection, and
remove the checkmark for "Enable access to this program" opposite
Windows Mail. Then click the radio button in front of Microsoft Outlook.
Click OK.

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)