Windows XP Windows Genuine Advantage

Reaction score
Just turned on my laptop and got the following box appear after loading Dreamweaver 8.
"Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications" come up.

Any reason or just an MS update?

Reaction score
feckit said:
Just turned on my laptop and got the following box appear after loading Dreamweaver 8.
"Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications" come up.

Any reason or just an MS update?

When this message came up, did you click on it and see if anything else came up..? It normally onnly comes up if your copy of Windows is not genuine...

Reaction score
It's a real copy of windows that came with the computer.
However i have just installed Dreamweaver which i thought was a "real" copy.
If it's not a real copy could this have triggered it?

If Dreamweaver is not legal then i will uninstall it & get a copy that is!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
What does the WGA notification say? I've not seen it pop up before other than when I first installed the OS and activated it - but I doubt it would have anything to do with dreamweaver :)

Reaction score
Just says it's validating my copy of windows.
Never done it before in 2 years, but did do an MS update etc, first one in 3+ months?
Could it be the updates that triggered it?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, it does validate sometimes when you do updates - as you can only get updates with an activated copy of Windows. I wouldn't worry about it, as your copy of Windows is genuine :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Windows Genuine Advantage is a piece of software Microsoft use to make sure you're not ripping them off.

It is regularly updated. What you most likely saw was confirmation of it being updated, is all.

Microsoft couldn't give a monkeys whether your copy of Dreamweaver is iffy or not and they certainly wouldn't go out of their way to detect pirated software from any company other than their own and maybe any company closely affiliated with them.

So worry ye not :)

'Windows Genuine Advantage' If ever there was a misnomer... ;)

Reaction score
Genuine Advantage

i've had the Genuine Advantage notice every time I boot up ever since I installed some updates months ago. It wants me to install the software so I always click Cancel on the principle that I don't want any unnecessary software slowing down my pc. Anyone know how to stop it popping up? And yes, what a misnomer.

Ask a Question