Windows Game Removal

Tech

I found examples of how to permanently remove Windows games, Solitaire,
Free Cell and Pinball but how do I automate this for several thousand pc's?

Hi Steve,

Windows Games are considered system files so they are hidden
from the Add-Remove programs list by default. The following is
a step by step guide I made to help you overcome this obstacle:

First, we are going to unhide all files and file extensions:
1. Choose Start / Programs / Accessories / Windows Explorer.
2. In Windows Explorer, choose Tools / Folder Options.
3. Click the View tab in the Folder Options dialog box.
4. Double-click Hidden Files and Folders, and then select Show Hidden Files
and Folders.
5. Deselect Hide File Extensions for Known File Types, and then click OK.

Now we are going to edit the Sysoc.inf file to unhide all games:

1. Choose Start / Run / Copy+Paste the next line into the RUN box and press
[ENTER]:
notepad %SystemRoot%\Inf\Sysoc.inf

2. Scroll down until you find the line that reads:
Games=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,games.inf,HIDE,7
and delete the HIDE from the line so it now reads:
Games=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,games.inf,,7

3. Below the is the line that reads:
AccessUtil=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,accessor.inf,HIDE,7
delete the word HIDE from the line so it now reads:
AccessUtil=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,accessor.inf,,7

4. Scroll down a little to the line that reads:
Pinball=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,pinball.inf,HIDE,7
and delete the word HIDE from the line so it now reads:
Pinball=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,pinball.inf,,7

5. Click File / Exit and choose YES to save the changes you made to the
file.

6. Click Start / Settings / Control Panel / Add-Remove Programs.

7. Select and Remove any of the games you want from the list.

Bob

I followed the instructions below, but still do not see
games, specifically freecell in the uninstall dialog box.

What do I need to do to uninstall freecell?
Bob

Gary Smith

Bob said:
I followed the instructions below, but still do not see
games, specifically freecell in the uninstall dialog box.
What do I need to do to uninstall freecell?

Bring up Add/Remove Programs and click Add/Remove Windows Components on
the left side of the window. You'll get a new window labeled "Windows
Components Wizard". Highlight "Accessories and Utilities" and click the
Detail button. Highlight "Games" and click the Details button again. You
should be presented with the four standard games. Click to uncheck any
you want to uninstall. Then click OK and OK again, then Next to continue
the uninstall.

mapengfei

Tech said:
[...]

Joined
May 31, 2007
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Did anyone find a way to automate this? I don't want to have to "touch" hundreds of PC's.

--
Gary L. Smith (e-mail address removed)
Columbus, Ohio