Windows freeware to edit & create EXIF data for JPEG photos

Crusader

Does anyone know of Windows freeware that creates and edits EXIF data for
JPEG photos?

Crusader

Wow. I appreciate your telling me about this as I was totally unaware of
Exifer prior to this post. It is "probably" a good tool and it probably
works just fine, but it sure doesn't work the way I thought it would for
me, a newbie.

First, I figured I'd load a picture and get a form with all the Exif data
but it puts only SOME of the Exif data into a form where you have to scroll
one by one through the forms.

Second, I figured it would load existing Exif data like that shown with
Irfanview but it doedsn't. It seems to wipe out the existing Exif data and
allow you to create totally new Exif data, but that's not what I wanted. To
it's credit, I didn't state that I wanted to edit existing Exif data so I
am NOT complaining. I'm just stating what it seems to be.

I'm sure it's probably a good tool, but I will keep looking unless there is
nothing else out there and then I'll go back to Exifer which seems to be
great for createing NEW Exif data but not necessarily for editing EXISTING
Exif data.

Thanks!!!!!

Ray Macey

I'm sure it's probably a good tool, but I will keep looking unless there is
nothing else out there and then I'll go back to Exifer which seems to be
great for createing NEW Exif data but not necessarily for editing EXISTING
Exif data.

As I said in my reply to your first post, try MS photo info. It lets
you append or replace EXIF and IPTC as you prefer

Ray

Crusader

As I said in my reply to your first post, try MS photo info. It lets
you append or replace EXIF and IPTC as you prefer

Ray

Hi there Ray,
I generally avoid Microsoft bloatware products at all costs, but since
Exifer replaced but didn't allow an edit to existing Exif data, I guess
since there is no other alternative, I'm installing the Microsoft PhotoInfo
product you recommended right now after (for the umpteenth time) going
through the Windows validation process (why can't they just remember the
previous validation).

I immediately see MS PhotoInfo requires .NET bloatware, so I'll have to
install that in order to run the program. This should be more clearly
stated on the download pages (maybe it is, but I don't remember seeing that
it takes two downloads to get the software up and running).

OK, that was wierd. When I installed MS PhotoInfo, it didn't give me the
option to start it when the installer finished, it didn't put an icon on
the desktop and it didn't put an entry in the start menu. While I applaud
the lack of bloat ... my first response is "where is the program shortcut"?

Luckily I know where I put ALL my programs (c:\software\photo
editors\msphotoinfo) so I could make a shortcut for my menu system to
"PhotoInfo.exe".

When I doubleclicked on C:\software\photo
editors\msphotoinfo\photoinfo.exe, the GUI didn't come up but a warning
came up saying "Photo Info: No supported image files were found in the
current file selection". Huh? I didn't select any files. When I press OK,
the warning goes away, and nothing else happens.

Obviosly the intuitive use model isn't the norm here. Nowhere did the GUI
tell me what to do so I started guessing that I have to select a few image
files first before the MS PhotoInfo program knows what to do. I right
clicked to use the intuitive "Open With" command but then figured that MS
must have put SOMETHING in the menu system. Lo and behold, there was a new
"PhotoInfo" selection way way down in my menus (lot's of crapware installs
things into this right click selection).

In about twice or three times the time it takes for Irfanview to bring up a
picture, MS PhotoInfo had the Exif data available, which isn't too bad.

But then, I was shocked to find that, like Exifer, the proven existing Exif
data was not available in the edit tabs. I scrolled through each tab
(Description, Keywords, Origin, Advanced, Details) and didn't see anything
other than the Description tab had a vastly truncated version of what
Irfanview shows with the "I" information command - yet, like Irfanview, the
existing Exif data was NOT editable.

In the Origin tab, the DATE was available if you hit the box that said "Use
Exif capture date if available" which was good. But, nowhere was there a
button that said "suck in the existing Exif data, dammit".

Did I miss something here?

Other than the Exif creation date, are you SURE that MS PhotoInfo sucks in
existing Exif data to be modified thereafter?

which I just downloaded.

Susan Bugher

Crusader said:
Hi there Ray,
I generally avoid Microsoft bloatware products at all costs, but since
Exifer replaced but didn't allow an edit to existing Exif data, I guess
since there is no other alternative, I'm installing the Microsoft PhotoInfo
product you recommended right now after (for the umpteenth time) going
through the Windows validation process (why can't they just remember the
previous validation).

But then, I was shocked to find that, like Exifer, the proven existing Exif
data was not available in the edit tabs. I scrolled through each tab
(Description, Keywords, Origin, Advanced, Details) and didn't see anything
other than the Description tab had a vastly truncated version of what
Irfanview shows with the "I" information command - yet, like Irfanview, the
existing Exif data was NOT editable.

Program: PixVue
Author: Eamonn Coleman
W: LFW
Ware: (Freeware) LFW (v 2.0.1)
http://www.softsea.com/review/PixVue.html

per info from ACF posts (saved in my Treepad file) you can add metadata
via Explorer's right click menu and you can use templates for mass
processing. (I haven't used it.)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Ray Macey

Other than the Exif creation date, are you SURE that MS PhotoInfo sucks in
existing Exif data to be modified thereafter?

It's been a while since I used it, but I remember it doing that.
Having just had another look, it seems you're right and it does not.
It appears as if I was remembering another program. My apologies for
wasting your time

Ray

Crusader

Having just had another look, it seems you're right and it does not.
My apologies for wasting your time

Hi there Ray,

No, you did NOT waste my time. The whole purpose of the usenet is for
people to help people and for other people to benefit from the exchange of
ideas. I think it was GREAT that you suggested a program that could have
solved the problem - in this case, a program that allowed modification of
existing Exif data.

As often happens in usenet posts, I was NOT CLEAR from the start that I
wanted to edit EXISTING data. That is my bad. I didn't realize that was a
limitation of the existing Exif-data editors until I tried one or two out.

And, it was not at all your fault I have a predisposition (call it
prejudice if you will) to not like Microsoft products due to bloat all too
often being the result. So I didn't try the MS PhotoInfo program until the
Exifer program failed first.

In addition, we didn't waste our time as we both edified the populace at
large by our exchange of ideas, suggestions, & results. So THANK YOU for
suggesting Microsoft PhotoInfo - it might be a great program for many who
don't have the specific desire to edit existing Exif data!

Thank you Ray and everyone else ... I will try the other suggested Exif
editors to see if they can modify EXISTING Exif data!

Crusader

Lo and behold, there was a new "PhotoInfo" selection way way
down in my right click menu

Interesting. Very interesting. I think I found a bug in MS Photo Info and
perhaps, a bit of spyware (or at the very least, some stupidware).

1. MS Photo Info phones home to Microsoft every time you run it
2. There is apparently no option to turn off that home phoning
3. MS Photo Info can't seem to handle being installed properly

The purported spyware occurs when you right click on a photo, ZoneAlarm
freeware immediately tells you that "Windows Explorer is trying to access
the Internet" and then another security alert "Photo Info executable is
trying to access the Internet" destination IP 131.107.115.28:HTTP, both of
which you can deny.

When I reverse DNS 131.107.115.28 with Nir Sofer's IPNetInfo freeware
(http://www.nirsoft.net), it tells me MS PhotoInfo is trying to contact
"Microsoft Corp" at "One Microsoft Way", "Redmond, Washington" for some
reason.

I can't believe MS PhotoInfo is contacting Microsoft for the purpose of
Exif data in my photos (I sure hope it's not transmitting my Exif
information to Microsoft) so the only other quasi legit reason for
contacting Microsoft would be to check for updates.

Generally I turn that update check off (preferring to contact the
manufacturer only when I manually check for updates). So, I clicked about
to find the setting to turn off automatic updates. And clicked. And
clicked.

Nowhere could I find an options form that allowed me to TURN OFF that
incessant "MS Phone Home" of Microsoft Photo Info. Can that be?

Interestingly, even though I have Opera, Firefox, Safari, and, yes,
Internet Explorer installed and running, when I pressed the "Give us your
feedback on this product" button, MS Photo Info (Version 1.0, build
1.0.278.0) said "Photo Info: An error occurred trying to show Feedback Web
page. Do you have a valid web browser installed?" After a couple of tries,
MS Photo Info hung my system, and I had to reboot and rebuild my Quick
Launch menu which I have to rebuild almost every time the machine hangs.

Why did Microsoft Photo Info not find it's own web browser?

I'm going to guess that MS Photo Info has a bug where it can't deal with
the fact that it was installed into the intuitive (to me) path of
c:\software\photo editors\msphotoinfo". Or maybe it can't handle that all
my browsers, including Internet Explorer, are stored in c:\software\web
browsers\". Hmmmhmmmhmmm...

Maybe someone ELSE can test this reputed MS Photo Info bug by installing
Microsoft Photo Editor into a path that isn't "c:\program files" and then
click on the "Advanced" tab, and then "About Microsoft Photo Info".

So, I have now have two requests so this newsgroup populace is edified
about MS Photo Info ...

1. Does anyone know where the option lies to turn OFF the MS Photo Info
prediliction to phone home every single time you use the program?

2. Can someone try and report back whether MS Photo Info handles being
installed into "c:\software\photo editors" for them?

Thanks for helping everyone by posting your results to the usenet!

Crusader

Since Exifer and MS Photo Info didn't work to edit existing Exif
information, I move on to test Susan's PixVue suggestion.

StartupMonitor freeware gave a warning with the PixVue installation of:
The program wextract_cleanup0 has registered the executable
rundll.exe c:\My OS\Windows\system32\advpack.dll,DelNodeRunDLL32
"C:\DOCUME~1\crusader\LOCALS~1\Temp\IXP000.TMP\"
to run at system startup. Do you wish to allow this change? Yes. No.

Would you answer yes or no to this warning? WHy?

Crusader

Too bad. PixVue does not seem to edit existing Exif data.

I right clicked on a photo and noticed that there were multiple PixVue menu
entries added (due to bloat, my right click menu is longer than the screen
so I have to scroll down).

Even though I know (from Irfanview) that the photo has extensive Exif data,
PixVue only seems to know about the "Date Created" and "Time Created".

Click as I might, from the "1. General" to "2. Keywords", "3.Categories"
and "4. Origin" tabs, like Exifer and MS Photo Info before PixVue, none
allow edits to EXISTING Exif data!

Wow. You'd think this would be a very common feature.

Doesn't anyone else want to edit existing Exif data with a Windows freeware
tool?

Crusader

Try "Image resizer" which contains an exif editor.
http://semland.com/ir/#download
(select English (go to "OPCJE" next click on "JEZYK").

I guess the Polish Image Resizer is the world's last choice for Exif
editors as all the others failed.

Not to be confused with the Microsoft Image Resizer PowerToy
(http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx),
I downloaded your suggested Polish Image Resizer to test if it could edit
existing Exif information in a digital photograph.

Given that Polish is a foreign language to me, I'm glad you told me to
click first on the "OPCJE" menu and then on the "JEZYK" sub menu item, or
I'd never have figured out how to use this rec.photo.digital and
alt.comp.freeware recommended image-resizer program!

But when I hit "File > Other Functions > Change EXIF", the Image Resizer
program spits out the error "General Information: EXIF DATA ErrStr = Not an
EXIF file".

Despite the fact the photo has extensive Exif data, this Polish Image
Resizer is apparently looking for an Exif file??? What is an Exif file?

I looked up in Wikipedia for what an Exif file is, but only find that the
capitalization is Exif and not EXIF.

Does anyone out there know what an Exif file is that the Polish Image
Resizer is looking for?

Ray Macey

Click as I might, from the "1. General" to "2. Keywords", "3.Categories"
and "4. Origin" tabs, like Exifer and MS Photo Info before PixVue, none
allow edits to EXISTING Exif data!

Keywords are IPTC, not Exif, and I know for certain that Photoinfo
does display and let you edit existing IPTC keywords, though as
previously discussed, it lacks in other areas.

That being said, another one to try is IDimager lite (it's the free
version). It gives quite a bit of freedom to edit EXIF data (though I
don't like the program itself).

Orientation
Date time
Date original
Date digitized
User Comment
JPG Comment
Instructions
Usage Terms
Genre
Job Identifier
Title
Headline
Description
Keywords
Copyright notice
Creator details

Those are the "at a glance" IPTC and Exif fields it will let you edit,
though it displays a much larger number that you can't edit (shutter
count, pixel/resolution details, exposure values etc)

Ray

Marcin

there are no separately EXIF file,
try use it with other file,

I tested Image Resizer,
this is sample readout I got using image resizer.

General Information:

File Name: 2005_01_10_0020.JPG
File Size: 164k
File Date: 2007-07-09
Photo Date: 2005:01:10 11:29:02
Make (Model): Canon (Canon PowerShot A80)
Dimensions: 1024 x 768
Exposure Time: 1/100 sec
Focal Length: 7,81 mm
FNumber: F2,8
Flash: No

Orientation: Normal
OwnerName: ""
ImageType: "IMG:powerShot A80 JPEG"
FirmwareVersion: "Firmware Version 1.00"
ImageNumber: 2636351
ExposureTime: 1/100 sec
FNumber: F2,8
ExifVersion: "0220"
DateTimeOriginal: 2005:01:10 11:29:02
DateTimeDigitized: 2005:01:10 11:29:02
ExposureMode: Auto
ExposureBiasValue: 0/3
MeteringMode: MultiSegment
WhiteBalance: Auto
Flash: Off, surpressed
FocalLength: 7,81 mm
FlashPixVersion: "0100"
ColorSpace: sRGB
ExifImageWidth: 1024
ExifImageLength: 768
DateTime: 2005:01:10 11:29:02
XResolution: 180,00
YResolution: 180,00
ResolutionUnit: Inch
Make: Canon
Model: Canon PowerShot A80
ExifOffset: 196

____ EXIF DATA ______________

Make = Canon
Model = Canon PowerShot A80
Orientation = Normal
XResolution = 180,00
YResolution = 180,00
Resolution Unit = Inch
Date Time = 2005:01:10 11:29:02
YCb Cr Positioning = Centered
Exif Offset = 196
Exposure Time = 1/100 sec
FNumber = F2,8
Exif Version = "0220"
Date Time Original = 2005:01:10 11:29:02
Date Time Digitized = 2005:01:10 11:29:02
Components Configuration = YCbCr
Compressed Bits Per Pixel = 3/1
Shutter Speed Value = 0,0099 sec (1/101)
Aperture Value = F3,0
Exposure Bias Value = 0/3
Max Aperture Value = F3,0
Metering Mode = MultiSegment
Flash = Off, surpressed
Focal Length = 7,81 mm
Maker Note = "."
User Comment =
Flash Pix Version = "0100"
Color Space = sRGB
Exif Image Width = 1024
Exif Image Length = 768
Interoperability Offset = 1844
Interoperability Index = R98
Interoperability Version = "0100"
Related Image Width = 1600
Related Image Height = 1200
Focal Plane XResolution = 1600000/280
Focal Plane YResolution = 1200000/210
Focal Plane Resolution Unit = Inch
Sensing Method = OneChipColorArea
File Source = "."
Custom Rendered = Normal process
Exposure Mode = Auto
White Balance = Auto
Digital Zoom Ratio = 2272/2272
Scene Capture Type = Portrait
Focal Length in 35mm Film = 59,41
Intel Byte Order
Make = Canon
Model = Canon PowerShot A80
Orientation = Normal
XResolution = 180,00
YResolution = 180,00
Resolution Unit = Inch
Date Time = 2005:01:10 11:29:02
YCb Cr Positioning = Centered
Exposure Time = 1/100 sec
FNumber = F2,8
Exif Version = "0220"
Date Time Original = 2005:01:10 11:29:02
Date Time Digitized = 2005:01:10 11:29:02
[...]

_____ Maker Specific Data _____

Macro mode = Normal
Self Timer = 2
Compression Rate = Basic
Flash Mode = Not fired
Drive Mode = Single
Focus Mode = Single
ExposureInfo1 = 92, 2, 20, 3, 0, 0, 0, 4
White balance = Auto
ExposureInfo2 = 68, 0, 128, 174, 95, 213, 0, 0
Unknown = 9, 9, 1600, 1200, 2272, 212, 409, 38
Unknown = 0, 0, 0, 0
ImageType = "IMG:powerShot A80 JPEG"
FirmwareVersion = "Firmware Version 1.00"
ImageNumber = 2636351
OwnerName = ""
Unknown = 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0
Unknown = 1
Macro mode = Normal
Self Timer = 2
Compression Rate = Basic
Flash Mode = Not fired
Drive Mode = Single
Focus Mode = Single
ExposureInfo1 = 92, 2, 20, 3, 0, 0, 0, 4
White balance = Auto
ExposureInfo2 = 68, 0, 128, 174, 95, 213, 0, 0
ImageType = "IMG:powerShot A80 JPEG"
FirmwareVersion = "Firmware Version 1.00"
ImageNumber = 2636351
OwnerName = ""

==========================
==========================
I'm able to change by using Image Resizer:
Owner Name
Image type
Make
Model
Firmware Version
Image Number
Orientation
Light Source
White Balance
Exposure Mode
==============================
================================
Best wishes
Marcin Gorgolewski
www.gorgolewski.com

Crusader

[...]

Date Time = 2005:01:10 11:29:02
YCb Cr Positioning = Centered
Exif Offset = 196
Exposure Time = 1/100 sec
FNumber = F2,8
Exif Version = "0220"
Date Time Original = 2005:01:10 11:29:02
Date Time Digitized = 2005:01:10 11:29:02
[...]
Date Time = 2005:01:10 11:29:02
YCb Cr Positioning = Centered
Exposure Time = 1/100 sec
FNumber = F2,8
Exif Version = "0220"
Date Time Original = 2005:01:10 11:29:02
Date Time Digitized = 2005:01:10 11:29:02
[...]

Wierd. Very wierd. I tried with photographs taken both with Nikon and Canon
cameras. Irfanview shows extensive Exif fields for both. I must be doing
something wrong if you see Exif data and I don't.

Let's see if we're both doing the same thing.
a. I'm on Windows XP SP2
b. I unpacked the zip file from http://semland.com/ir/#download
c. It contained a single exe file which I moved to
"c:\software\photo editors\polish_image_resizer"
d. I made a shortcut and put that in my start menu at
"Start -> software -> photo editors -> polish image resizer"
e. Clicking on that shortcut brings up IR version 0.9g build 220905.13
f. I selected English by pressing "OPCJE" -> "JEZYK" -> English
g. I select a photo by pressing "File" -> "Open" -> "photo.jpg"
where the photo is stored in "c:\photos\testphoto\photo.jpg"
h. I select File -> Other Functions -> Change EXIF
and I get the error:
General Information:
____ EXIF DATA ______________
ErrStr = Not an EXIF file

I'll run some more tests but I did test both Canon and Nikon photos.
One problem I've seen is some programs have hard-coded paths in them so
they can't work on a system where there is none of those silly
Microsoftisms such as a ridiculously flat "c:\program files" directory and
no confusingly organized "c:\Documents and Settings" directory.

Usually the only ones that have problems with a well organized computer are
the Microsoft programs but I'll create a "program files" and "documents and
settings" hierarchy to test if that's the culprit.

Crusader

there are no separately EXIF file,
try use it with other file,

I THINK I FOUND THE PROBLEM.

It wasn't that my hierarchy was organized and different from the idiocy
that Microsoft promulgates - it seems that the IR program expects the
"File" "Open" command to find the photograph to be in the same directory in
which the IR executable resides!

On a hunch, I copied my test photos into the directory in which IR resides
and lo and behold, the Exif data was viewable (using the sequence stated
prior) and editable. It's a bit inconvenient, but it works.

Woo hoo! Thank you!

Unfortunately only the "OwnerName", "ImageType", "Make", "Model",
"FirmwareVer", ImageNumber, Orientation, MeteringMode, LightSource,
WhiteBalance, and ExposureMode were updatable.

But extensive Exif information was displayed (see below).
Unfortunately, I tried changing the Exif information and it didn't take so
I must have missed a hidden save step somewhere. There is a button on the
English version of the change Exif form saying "Zapiusuj tekstowe
informacje (testowe!)" which I didn't hit (fearing the nuclear missiles
would be launched).

Do I need to check the "Zapiusuj tekstowe informacje (testowe!)" button in
order for the Exif changes to be written to disk?

General Information:

File Name: test2.jpg
File Size: 1416k
File Date: 7/9/2007
Photo Date: 2007:06:17 19:51:17
Make (Model): Canon (Canon PowerShot S1 IS)
Dimensions: 2048 x 1536
Exposure Time: 1/60 sec
Focal Length: 5.80 mm
FNumber: F2.8
Flash: Yes

Orientation: Normal
OwnerName: ""
ImageType: "IMG:powerShot S1 IS JPEG"
FirmwareVersion: "Firmware Version 1.03"
ImageNumber: 1000019
ExposureTime: 1/60 sec
FNumber: F2.8
ExifVersion: "0220"
DateTimeOriginal: 2007:06:17 19:51:17
DateTimeDigitized: 2007:06:17 19:51:17
ExposureMode: Auto
ExposureBiasValue: 0/3
MeteringMode: MultiSegment
WhiteBalance: Auto
Flash: On, auto mode, red-eye reduction
FocalLength: 5.80 mm
FlashPixVersion: "0100"
ColorSpace: sRGB
ExifImageWidth: 2048
ExifImageLength: 1536
DateTime: 2007:06:17 19:51:17
XResolution: 180.00
YResolution: 180.00
ResolutionUnit: Inch
Make: Canon
Model: Canon PowerShot S1 IS
ExifOffset: 196

____ EXIF DATA ______________

Make = Canon
Model = Canon PowerShot S1 IS
Orientation = Normal
XResolution = 180.00
YResolution = 180.00
Resolution Unit = Inch
Date Time = 2007:06:17 19:51:17
YCb Cr Positioning = Centered
Exif Offset = 196
Exposure Time = 1/60 sec
FNumber = F2.8
Exif Version = "0220"
Date Time Original = 2007:06:17 19:51:17
Date Time Digitized = 2007:06:17 19:51:17
Components Configuration = YCbCr
Compressed Bits Per Pixel = 5/1
Shutter Speed Value = 0.0167 sec (1/60)
Aperture Value = F3.0
Exposure Bias Value = 0/3
Max Aperture Value = F3.0
Metering Mode = MultiSegment
Flash = On, auto mode, red-eye reduction
Focal Length = 5.80 mm
Maker Note = "."
User Comment =
Flash Pix Version = "0100"
Color Space = sRGB
Exif Image Width = 2048
Exif Image Length = 1536
Interoperability Offset = 2036
Interoperability Index = R98
Interoperability Version = "0100"
Related Image Width = 2048
Related Image Height = 1536
Focal Plane XResolution = 2048000/208
Focal Plane YResolution = 1536000/156
Focal Plane Resolution Unit = Inch
Sensing Method = OneChipColorArea
File Source = "."
Custom Rendered = Normal process
Exposure Mode = Auto
White Balance = Auto
Digital Zoom Ratio = 2048/2048
Scene Capture Type = Standard
Focal Length in 35mm Film = 38.00
Intel Byte Order
Make = Canon
Model = Canon PowerShot S1 IS
Orientation = Normal
XResolution = 180.00
YResolution = 180.00
Resolution Unit = Inch
Date Time = 2007:06:17 19:51:17
YCb Cr Positioning = Centered
Exposure Time = 1/60 sec
FNumber = F2.8
Exif Version = "0220"
Date Time Original = 2007:06:17 19:51:17
Date Time Digitized = 2007:06:17 19:51:17
Components Configuration = YCbCr
Compressed Bits Per Pixel = 5/1
Shutter Speed Value = 0.0167 sec (1/60)
Aperture Value = F3.0
Exposure Bias Value = 0/3
Max Aperture Value = F3.0
Metering Mode = MultiSegment
Flash = On, auto mode, red-eye reduction
Focal Length = 5.80 mm
Maker Note = "."
User Comment = "live for photography"
Flash Pix Version = "0100"
Color Space = sRGB
Exif Image Width = 2048
Exif Image Length = 1536
Interoperability Index = R98
Interoperability Version = "0100"
Related Image Width = 2048
Related Image Height = 1536
Interoperability Offset = 2036
Focal Plane XResolution = 2048000/208
Focal Plane YResolution = 1536000/156
Focal Plane Resolution Unit = Inch
Sensing Method = OneChipColorArea
File Source = "."
Custom Rendered = Normal process
Exposure Mode = Auto
White Balance = Auto
Digital Zoom Ratio = 2048/2048
Scene Capture Type = Standard
Exif Offset = 196
Focal Length in 35mm Film = 38.00

_____ Maker Specific Data _____

Macro mode = Normal
Self Timer = 2
Compression Rate = SuperFine
Flash Mode = Auto+red-eye
Drive Mode = Single
Focus Mode = Single
ExposureInfo1 = 92, 2, 0, 5, 5, 0, 0, 4
White balance = Auto
ExposureInfo2 = 68, 32, 128, 53, 95, 189, 0, 0
Unknown = 1, 1, 2048, 1536, 632, 436, 114, 78
Unknown = 0, 0, 0, 0
ImageType = "IMG:powerShot S1 IS JPEG"
FirmwareVersion = "Firmware Version 1.02"
ImageNumber = 1000019
OwnerName = ""
Unknown = 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0
Unknown = 1
Macro mode = Normal
Self Timer = 2
Compression Rate = SuperFine
Flash Mode = Auto+red-eye
Drive Mode = Single
Focus Mode = Single
ExposureInfo1 = 92, 2, 0, 5, 5, 0, 0, 4
White balance = Auto
ExposureInfo2 = 68, 32, 128, 53, 95, 189, 0, 0
ImageType = "IMG:powerShot S1 IS JPEG"
FirmwareVersion = "Firmware Version 1.02"
ImageNumber = 1000019
OwnerName = ""

___ Thumbnail Data ______
Thumbnail Start = 1021
Thumbnail Length = 9643

Compression = Jpeg
XResolution = 180.00
YResolution = 180.00
Resolution Unit = Inch
JPEGInterchange Format = 5108
JPEGInterchange Format Length = 6584
Compression = Jpeg
XResolution = 180.00
YResolution = 180.00
Resolution Unit = Inch
JPEGInterchange Format = 5108
JPEGInterchange Format Length = 6584

Crusader

(Sorry, I forgot to edit the original out of that last post).
Here is just the post without the original message at the top.

[...]

That's a *tiny* bit harsh. ;) (There's lots of info there.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exif
"The Exif specification is currently not officially maintained because
there is no public entity or people officially behind Exif."

howsomeever. . . EXIF.org has some specifications

http://www.exif.org/specifications.html

<q>
EXIF 2.1 Specification by JEITA, June 1998.
http://www.exif.org/Exif2-1.PDF

EXIF 2.2 Specification by JEITA, April 2002.
Although in English, this requires Japanese fonts to be installed
(Acrobat 6.0 should do this for you this automatically).
http://www.exif.org/Exif2-2.PDF

DCF Design rule for Camera File system. Specification by JEITA, December
1998.
http://www.exif.org/dcf.PDF

EXIF 2.1(DCF Version) Specification by JEITA, last revised December 1998.
http://www.exif.org/dcf-exif.PDF

TIFF 6.0 Specification from Adobe.
http://www.exif.org/TIFF6.pdf

MakerNote Specifications
Sanyo MakerNote
Description of MakerNote used in Sanyo (plus Olympus and so on) cameras.
http://www.exif.org/makernotes/SanyoMakerNote.html
</q>

That's not a complete list of the formats used in digital cameras. My
old Canon uses the CIFF format to store info.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware