Windows error message: Electronic Arts autorun

Help!

I did a search to try to find some help, but to no avail.
I'm about to panic and just burn my pc to a crisp. I've
tried installing the PC-CD version of Lord of the Rings:
Return of the King on my computer, and everything goes
just fine until after I've input the CD-Key. It shows me
a Windows error message saying "Electronic Arts Autorun
has encounted a problem and needs to close . . ."

I've tried disk clean-up, disk defrag, disk scan/check,
I've changed the drive path (per EA's instructions), I've
tried shutting down all extraneous background processes,
etc. I even exchanged the game and tried a different one.
It works on my roommate's computer (or at least will go
beyond the point mine can) so I'm convinced the CD is
fine. I'm also sure that my own DVD-Rom is operating
fine, since it can read the disk contents.

I'd like to play this game, but since it won't install,
I'm in trouble. EA seems to be of little help, so I hope
someone can help me.

My system info:
Windows XP Pro 5.1
Pentium 4 1.60 GHz
512 MB RAM
free space: 994 MB available
DirectX 9.0b
ATI Radeon 9600, Catalyst 9.0
Creative SB Audigy sound card

Jimmy S.

Hi!

First think I you do is ask your roommate to allow you to
install his CD Player onto your computer. This will let
you know right away whether a problem with your DVD
player causing your installation to fail. Good luck! :)

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

| I did a search to try to find some help, but to no avail.
| I'm about to panic and just burn my pc to a crisp. I've
| tried installing the PC-CD version of Lord of the Rings:
| Return of the King on my computer, and everything goes
| just fine until after I've input the CD-Key. It shows me
| a Windows error message saying "Electronic Arts Autorun
| has encounted a problem and needs to close . . ."
|
| I've tried disk clean-up, disk defrag, disk scan/check,
| I've changed the drive path (per EA's instructions), I've
| tried shutting down all extraneous background processes,
| etc. I even exchanged the game and tried a different one.
| It works on my roommate's computer (or at least will go
| beyond the point mine can) so I'm convinced the CD is
| fine. I'm also sure that my own DVD-Rom is operating
| fine, since it can read the disk contents.
|
| I'd like to play this game, but since it won't install,
| I'm in trouble. EA seems to be of little help, so I hope
| someone can help me.
|
| My system info:
| Windows XP Pro 5.1
| Pentium 4 1.60 GHz
| 512 MB RAM
| free space: 994 MB available
| DirectX 9.0b
| ATI Radeon 9600, Catalyst 9.0
| Creative SB Audigy sound card

John Parker

I have had the same issue and using a cd rom as opposed
to a dvd-rom does not solve this issue there is something
with the ntdll.dll file that is having an issue here and
I am currently working to see if i can find a fix. If
anyone else could help on this issue it would be greatly
apprieciated.

John