Windows 8, take file control back from Microsoft?

BillW50

In John Doe typed:
Probably, but it depends on the situation. I have a situation
where Windows 8 prevents me from writing to files unless I am
logged in as the "elevated" administrator. It's a crock. Microsoft
has no right "owning" ordinary PC users' files. There should at
least be some easy way to remove the prohibited access garbage.
Microsoft holding my hand is like a blind person leading me across
a busy street. Microsoft ineptly taking control away from personal
computer users has been in the works for a long time. Don't be
surprised if it gets worse.

Oh man! I totally get that John! Kudos! And yes, for your predictions
that it gets worse... I have examples where it does. :-(

TGH

Is there a way to make Windows 8 files as easy to access as they were
in Windows XP?

Thanks.
I use a program called Directory Opus, http://www.gpsoft.com.au/

Its not cheap but very powerful and works brilliant, been using it since
the Amiga days. There is a 2 month Trial on there.

TGH

RayLopez99

Which is why if you want to use a modern OS, you should use a modern

computer. Duh. I have XP and Windows 7 on the same duo core Intel with

2.5Ghz and 4 GB of PC-800 RAM and 7 is just as snappy as XP. The search

feature is a thousand times faster and much more effective.

Good points, though I don't like the search feature of 7 and instead got the excellent program "dtSearch" which is 100x better.

RL

John Doe

Some "technical help" from someone whose lines are unwrapped and
quoted material is doublespaced...

GMAN

Probably, but it depends on the situation. I have a situation
where Windows 8 prevents me from writing to files unless I am
logged in as the "elevated" administrator. It's a crock. Microsoft
has no right "owning" ordinary PC users' files. There should at
least be some easy way to remove the prohibited access garbage.
Microsoft holding my hand is like a blind person leading me across
a busy street. Microsoft ineptly taking control away from personal
computer users has been in the works for a long time. Don't be
surprised if it gets worse.

I have tried ever trick in the book to take ownership. What i ended up doing
is taking the hard drive to another pc with XP, moving the files to a 64GB
thumb drive then going back to the newer machine that i built for my son and
mocing it that way. Why does it allow me to do this from a thumb drive and not
my extrenal hard drive case???? Probably it just recognizes that i am trying
to work with folders called Documents or Pictures? That wouldnt make sense
sice i went ahead and kept the same folder structure on the flash drive.

BillW50

I have tried ever trick in the book to take ownership. What i ended up doing
is taking the hard drive to another pc with XP, moving the files to a 64GB
thumb drive then going back to the newer machine that i built for my son and
mocing it that way. Why does it allow me to do this from a thumb drive and not
my extrenal hard drive case???? Probably it just recognizes that i am trying
to work with folders called Documents or Pictures? That wouldnt make sense
sice i went ahead and kept the same folder structure on the flash drive.

That is the loophole in Microsoft security. If I ever want control over
files in Windows and Windows says no... I boot up BartPE or WinPE from
USB and I have full control over the Windows drive. Which is pretty dumb
security if you ask me.

GMAN

That is the loophole in Microsoft security. If I ever want control over
files in Windows and Windows says no... I boot up BartPE or WinPE from
USB and I have full control over the Windows drive. Which is pretty dumb
security if you ask me.

Exactly, it just hurts the common user, not the mid level or advanced user.

I wonder how many families have lost photos due to this issue.

GMAN

Thumb drives typically use FAT32, which lacks the security features of
NTFS that the OS uses.

I always reformat my thumbdrives NTFS so that i can fit huge video files to
play directly on my Smart 3D 55" LG TV

Gene E. Bloch

I always reformat my thumbdrives NTFS so that i can fit huge video files to
play directly on my Smart 3D 55" LG TV

1. Good idea.

2. Invalidates my remark :)

Ken Blake

Thumb drives typically use FAT32, which lacks the security features of
NTFS that the OS uses.

They may *come with* FAT32, but you don't have to keep them FAT32.
Just format them as NTFS if that's what you want.

BillW50

In Alias typed:
Which is why if you want to use a modern OS, you should use a modern
computer. Duh. I have XP and Windows 7 on the same duo core Intel with
2.5Ghz and 4 GB of PC-800 RAM and 7 is just as snappy as XP. The
search feature is a thousand times faster and much more effective.

Really? I have 14 computers from 2006 that blows away my two Dell
machines manufactured a few months ago. They even run Windows 7 and
Windows 8 far faster and better too.

GMAN

In Alias typed:

Really? I have 14 computers from 2006 that blows away my two Dell
machines manufactured a few months ago. They even run Windows 7 and
Windows 8 far faster and better too.
Agreed , newer isnt always better. A decent hand built PC from a few years ago
can blow away a brand new name brand .

Nil

Agreed , newer isnt always better. A decent hand built PC from a
few years ago can blow away a brand new name brand .

Maybe *can* blow away, but not necessarily does. The last computer I
assembled was about a year and a half ago, but it's quite a smoker,
even though it's made of fairly modest components. It runs Windows 7.

OTOH, I made my main computer that I'm sitting at now about 6 years
ago. It's reasonably snappy and has been the most stable and reliable
computer I've ever had. It runs Windows XP. The newer one mentioned
about is quite a bit quicker, though.

John Doe

Nildo is constantly whining about my posts while the majority of
its posts are in my threads...

From: Nil <rednoise REMOVETHIScomcast.net>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Subject: Re: Windows 8, take file control back from Microsoft?
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2013 11:20:32 -0500

Agreed , newer isnt always better. A decent hand built PC from a
few years ago can blow away a brand new name brand .

Maybe *can* blow away, but not necessarily does. The last computer I
assembled was about a year and a half ago, but it's quite a smoker,
even though it's made of fairly modest components. It runs Windows 7.

OTOH, I made my main computer that I'm sitting at now about 6 years
ago. It's reasonably snappy and has been the most stable and reliable
computer I've ever had. It runs Windows XP. The newer one mentioned
about is quite a bit quicker, though.

PeterC

I always reformat my thumbdrives NTFS so that i can fit huge video files to
play directly on my Smart 3D 55" LG TV

Do you have to have one drive formatted FAT32 for firmware updates? My Sammy
needs that.

Gene E. Bloch

They may *come with* FAT32, but you don't have to keep them FAT32.
Just format them as NTFS if that's what you want.

Yes, that's what GMAN (the one with the problem) did. I just didn't know
when I posted that he had done that.

GMAN

Do you have to have one drive formatted FAT32 for firmware updates? My Sammy
needs that.
You mean TV firmware updates? No, my tv can do its firmware updates via its
built in Wifi N connection.