Perpetual HDD error scan when "dual booting" Windows XP and 8

John Doe

This isn't a request for help, it's a likely solution to a problem
I heard somebody else also having.

In my situation, it's not really "dual booting" since I'm using
Macrium Reflect to copy the whole OS back and forth, but maybe it
can apply to the dual boot scenario too. If you have a problem
with your drives being check-disked every time you boot between
windows XP and Windows 8, the problem might be the recycle bin.
Preliminarily speaking, I found a workaround, disabling the
recycle bin on both installations (XP & 8). I also changed the
Macrium Reflect boot disk, but I don't think that was effective. I
think it was disabling the recycle bin in both installations. I
got that clue from (I think) Windows 8 at some point in time
throwing up an error about the recycle bin being corrupted. I
wouldn't want to forever have the recycle bins disabled, but it
might serve as a decent workaround until I can get out of Windows
XP and cope with Windows 8 on a regular basis.

Paul

John said:
[...]

If you're dual booting those two OSes, try going into the Power
control panel or where you can set the "disk spindown time" and
disable disk spin down by setting the time to zero. CHKDSK stopped
running after I did that.

Paul

John Doe

Paul said:
John Doe wrote:

If you're dual booting those two OSes, try going into the Power
control panel or where you can set the "disk spindown time" and
disable disk spin down by setting the time to zero. CHKDSK
stopped running after I did that.

Aren't you supposed to provide a path... I don't know where that
setting is.

I'm not technically dual booting, I'm using an image of both
operating systems. It has to be restored every time I change from
one to the other.

The problem has been stopped several times, problem is that it
started up again. I've had the recycle bin disabled in both
installations for more than enough time to prove that corruption
of the recycle bin is the problem here. There might be ways around
corrupting the recycle bin or easier ways to fix the recycle bin
after it's corrupted. I don't doubt that it could have something
to do with your setting. But I doubt that you have the same
problem, since I think a problem might be prevented that way but
not fixed that way.

And as you know... Unless you know what is causing the problem,
only time will tell whether your method has fixed the problem.

I'd be happy to test your method (if I knew the path and) if I
thought it would work for the problem I have here. But, currently,
the only fix I know of here requires copying all the files off of
the drive and then restoring them back to the drive, and I don't
feel like doing that again. There might be another method to
recover, by manipulating the recycle bin (if your method doesn't
work), but I don't know what that might be.

piehead

"John Doe" wrote in message
Paul said:
John Doe wrote:

If you're dual booting those two OSes, try going into the Power
control panel or where you can set the "disk spindown time" and
disable disk spin down by setting the time to zero. CHKDSK
stopped running after I did that.

I had this problem after installing 8 on a separate drive, with xp vista and
7 also each on its own drive. I select the boot drive in the bios to choose
the operating system. I found the culprit to be fast shutdown which is on by
default in windows 8. After disabling fast shutdown I have never had this
problem since.

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/what-is-fast-startup-windows-8-disable-it/

John Doe

piehead paintshop.co.tw said:
Paul said:
John Doe wrote:

If you're dual booting those two OSes, try going into the Power
control panel or where you can set the "disk spindown time" and
disable disk spin down by setting the time to zero. CHKDSK
stopped running after I did that.

I had this problem after installing 8 on a separate drive, with
xp vista and 7 also each on its own drive. I select the boot
drive in the bios to choose the operating system. I found the
culprit to be fast shutdown which is on by default in windows 8.
After disabling fast shutdown [actually "fast startup"] I have
never had this problem since.

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/what-is-fast-startup-wi
ndows-8-disable-it/

That makes sense. I won't be surprised if it's a a shutdown
problem as Paul suggested and you have linked to. I'll try
enabling the recycle bin and disabling "fast startup" in Windows
8.

Paul

Paul said:
John Doe wrote:
[...]

"Piehead" could be right. At the time, I changed a couple settings
at the same time, and it was my assumption disabling spindown was
what fixed it. I could be wrong. I may have done a "powercfg -h off"
while I was screwing around. Which could be the same thing as using
the tick box (GUI method).

Disk spindown is controlled as a Power setting. I see a "Hard Disk" entry
here, and that might be what I used. You'd go to the Control Panels
and find the one for Power.

http://www.eightforums.com/attachme...-options-b.jpg?filter[1]=File Folder Settings

The reason I modified the disk spindown, is I could actually hear the
disks spinning down while I was working. Even if it doesn't change
the CHKDSK issue, I'd still leave it set that way (disabled by setting
it to zero).

*******

The suggestion of Piehead is mentioned here as well.

http://techtrickz.com/how-to/fix-disk-check-error-in-dual-boot-windows-8-windows-7-system/

Paul

John Doe

Not to take away from any of the skilled and learned replies, but…

Here, and with my configuration, the solution has boiled down to
disabling the recycle bin on all of my drives, restarting, and
then remaking the recycle bin. An easy fix to the perpetual drive
error scan problem here.

John Doe

Alek Trishan said:
John Doe Wrote:

And did that work?

As far as I know, Yes. When the disk was allegedly corrupted, that
was the fix.

Now, before exiting/restarting Windows 8 and booting to the Macrium
Reflect CD to get into XP, I simply do recycle bin properties and
disable all of the recycle bins. That seems to work.

Apparently it was the recycle bin, here.