Windows 8 Windows 8 Release Preview

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Didn't I get that several months ago? :confused:

And as I recall it was pretty much a pile of tosh but hey - enjoy! I think ;)

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Didn't I get that several months ago? :confused:

And as I recall it was pretty much a pile of tosh but hey - enjoy! I think ;)

What you got before was the consumer preview, this is the Release Preview, what use to be called the release candidate.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Hmm, this still isn't exciting me as much as the Win7 RC did....

I was all over that and running it as my main OS from the time it was released up until they released the full version.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I wonder if I fire up my original install whether it will 'auto-patch' up to the release candidate?

Whatever, if they still haven't changed the basic navigation premise then Win 8 can lay down with the fishes, lol

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I wonder if I fire up my original install whether it will 'auto-patch' up to the release candidate?

Whatever, if they still haven't changed the basic navigation premise then Win 8 can lay down with the fishes, lol

Ok apparently if you do it from the update thingy its as good as a fresh install.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Just fired up Win 8 after a lengthy hiatus and updated. 58.1Mb, 20 files, only took about five minutes.

Presumably they wouldn't update if the original pre-release was now outdated?

I'm going to state this quite categorically though - I hate it. I've just played with it for over an hour and tried to like it, understand it, come to grips with it but hell, I'm just lost. Nothing seems solid or steady, I can't find anything and worst of all I couldn't install Libre Office, it wouldn't have it.

Mobile telephone and Tablet OS's were not designed for desktop PC's, Windows think they're being up to date but although they may please some they're going to leave a lot of folk alienated with this shift. Besides, Win 7 is really very good - why the hell they have to change it? Oh, sorry, so Microsoft can make some more money, of course, silly me.

Nah, not for me at all and I'm not being a Luddite, I did after all go straight out and buy Vista and Win 7 when they were released. One out of two not too bad I suppose... ;)

Nope, Win 8 is not for me and I am now going to wipe this 500Gb disk and try another Linux Distro on it.

I really can't wait for when Steam works within Linux....

Reaction score
Ok apparently if you do it from the update thingy its as good as a fresh install.

I was hoping that would be the case, and so all I had done was update my existing VM install. But as it turns out MS still doesn't do things like that, like we're used to in most Linux distros. I just heard Paul Thurrott saying MS requires a fresh install between builds, so I went ahead and installed it from the RC iso to compare, and sure enough, my fully updated old Win8 install is build 8250, while the new RC is build 8400.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I was hoping that would be the case, and so all I had done was update my existing VM install. But as it turns out MS still doesn't do things like that, like we're used to in most Linux distros. I just heard Paul Thurrott saying MS requires a fresh install between builds, so I went ahead and installed it from the RC iso to compare, and sure enough, my fully updated old Win8 install is build 8250, while the new RC is build 8400.

With all MS OS's I prefer a fresh isntall. Yes a pain sometimes reinstalling apps etc, but at least you know its done right then :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Is that right Zema? Hmm. Ok, what we all want to know is - it may be different but is it any better?

I've formatted the disk now and I honestly don't think I can be bothered to mess about with it again.

It actually took me a full five minutes to find the shutdown button, lol

Reaction score
Is that right Zema? Hmm. Ok, what we all want to know is - it may be different but is it any better?

I've formatted the disk now and I honestly don't think I can be bothered to mess about with it again.

It actually took me a full five minutes to find the shutdown button, lol

Better? Not by much really :) They haven't removed Aero yet - that's slated to happen in the RTM. There's some new wallpaper, some new additional metro color schemes - all still as flat and boring as ever, and they've put new stuff in the apps store. Oh and the shutdown control is still hidden - so that those phantom hordes of Windows 8 tablet users won't accidentally tap it while trying to launch Angry Birds :D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Microsoft: Don't overclock Windows 8 unless you like our new BSOD.Redmond boffins burn up CPUs so you don't have to.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/07/02/microsoft_research_pc_hardware_crashes/

The article is based on this report

http://research.microsoft.com/apps/pubs/default.aspx?id=144888

We present the first large-scale analysis of hardware failure rates on a million consumer PCs.

Interesting stuff
breakfast.gif

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Reaction score
It's going to be interesting to see the reaction when the vast majority of the population, who know nothing about the massive changes to their familiar Windows OS, start buying new computers with Windows 8 installed :D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
It's going to be interesting to see the reaction when the vast majority of the population, who know nothing about the massive changes to their familiar Windows OS, start buying new computers with Windows 8 installed :D

Be interesting to see how many "People do not swap to linux because it is so different from windows" articles there are after 8 launches.
tease.gif

Ask a Question