Windows 8 Windows 8 vs. Windows 7 Performance

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
A nice little review regarding the two OS's. I'm still in no rush to drop Win 7, but a decent read non the less.

Unless you have been living under a rock, there is a good chance you have caught wind of Microsoft’s latest operating system. Those eager to see what the new OS is all about had their first chance to take a peek back in February when Microsoft released the Windows 8 Consumer Preview.
More than a million downloads took place within the first day of the preview's release, but users were in for a shock as major changes awaited them. By far the most controversial has been the replacement of the Start menu for the new Start screen, and inherently, Microsoft's decision of doing away with the Start button on desktop mode.
For the first time since Windows 95 the Start button is no longer a centerpiece of the operating system, in fact it's gone for good.
On the final version of Windows 8, clicking the bottom-left corner of the screen -- where the Start button would normally be located -- launches the Metro interface (or whatever it is they are calling it now). The new tile-based interface is radically different from anything used on a Windows desktop and resembles what we've successfully seen working on the latest iterations of Windows Phone.
http://www.techspot.com/review/561-windows8-vs-windows7/

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Interesting article :nod:

Just looking at the benchmarks does seem to indicate that it would be a faster, more efficient experience overall... but that new interface would take a lot of getting used to. It will be interesting to see what the general consensus is in 6 months time!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
From the reviewer:

However, many users seem to be struggling to get their head around it. Personally, in spite of using Windows 8 for several months, I'm still undecided if I like the new interface or not. It certainly takes some time getting used to and for that reason I'm not jumping to conclusions just yet.

Fair point, but my experience with Win 8 was so horrible that I remain to be convinced I could use it full time.

Review summary at this stage of Win 8's development:

Gaming better on Win 7 by a country mile.

Encoding quicker on Win 8

Win 8 starts up and shuts down a bit quicker.

Everything else, in terms of performance (and NOT usability) are pretty much a muchness.

Nope, the day I want my mobile interface on my desktop I'll ask for it thanks ;)

Not pour moi.

Ask a Question