Windows 8 Windows 8 RC To Get Flatter Explorer UI, Other Changes

Reaction score
If a report from Chinese tech blog win8china.com is to be believed--and they've been pretty accurate so far--the Release Candidate (RC) version of Windows 8 will feature a tweaked Explorer user interface that somewhat matches the flat UI that pervades the Metro interface.

Here are some before and after shots that will drive home the expected change:

Before (Beta/Consumer Preview):

attachment.php

After (RC):

attachment.php

This flatter new Explorer is just the beginning, folks. We've learned separately that other UI changes are coming to the RC build, including new icons, new cursors, new controls, and more.
From Paul Thurrott's winsupersite.com

This might be intended to make it more compatible with a tablet display.

Attachments

• Win8RC_before.jpg
    Win8RC_before.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 269
  • Win8RC_after.jpg
    Win8RC_after.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 256

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Wow that is really interesting. They have changed from a light blue to a dark blue strip at the top of the screen.

:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Wow that is really interesting. They have changed from a light blue to a dark blue strip at the top of the screen.

:rolleyes:

It's not a great screen shot and you may have to look closely to see it but the area encircled in red illustrates one of the changes - the 3D-looking elements we've long been used to will be rendered flat and featureless.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
It's not a great screen shot and you may have to look closely to see it but the area encircled in red illustrates one of the changes - the 3D-looking elements we've long been used to will be rendered flat and featureless.

Me original post was an attempt at cynical sarcasm mate. I will only buy and use 8 if I have no other choice for quality gaming. :fool::D

Reaction score
No prob Abarbarian that's cool :) And same here, I only use Windows for gaming any more anyway, though I have a feeling that Win8 or a similarly looking descendent will be in our futures ultimately - some future Direct-X version will likely require it etc. Anyway it' going to be interesting to watch ;)

Ask a Question