Microsoft reportedly planning Windows 9 release in April 2015

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Microsoft is currently working on an "Update 1" for Windows 8.1, but the company has bigger plans for the future of Windows as part of a "Threshold" wave of updates. Windows watcher Paul Thurrott reports that the company’s Threshold plans will involve a release of Windows 9 around April 2015. Microsoft will allegedly unveil its vision for Windows 9 at the company’s Build 2014 developer conference in April, with a release planned for a year later.

It appears that Microsoft is currently planning to use the Windows 9 branding and vision as a way to move away from some of the criticisms of the Windows 8 operating system. It’s not immediately clear what type of changes will be made to Windows 9, but "Metro 2.0" inside the new OS will reportedly include a major focus on improving Microsoft’s new app world and tiles. Previous rumors have suggested Microsoft is planning to separate out its Windows 8-style ("Metro") apps to allow them to float and run in separate windows on the traditional desktop. The Verge understands Microsoft is also planning a Start menu return for Windows 9, but that the company may deliver this early in a second "Update 2" for Windows 8.1 later this year.
Source

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Could the Windows 9 release date be October 2014?

Information provided by Windows leaker WZOR claims that Microsoft will launch Windows 9 in October this year.

This new hint contradicts previous rumours that suggested Windows 8.1 would get an upgrade called GDR1 and debut alongside Windows Phone 8.1 at the Build 2014 conference.

Windows 9 was originally thought to be part of the a set of products to be released in Spring 2015 along with Windows Phone 9 and an upgrade for the Xbox One.
Windows 8's final curtain?

The new rumour throws into question the authenticity of the GDR1 upgrade for Windows 8.1 (which could have actually been Windows 8.2) if a whole new operating system is just around the corner.

Equally, it signals that Windows 8 isn't working as a platform. With unremarkable sales, the enduring popularity of its predecessors and even its own employees lambasting it, the arrival of Windows 9 later this year will possibly be the death knell for Microsoft's experimental OS.

There are no additional details regarding an October launch apart from the information provided by WZOR, but it is certainly a possibility. Microsoft communications chief Frank Shaw said in January that there was a "a cadence" to the updates, suggesting an October release might not be wholly out of the question.

All of this information should be taken with a pinch of salt, obviously. Speculation and rumour will either be quashed or backed up when Microsoft steps up to the stage at Build in April.
http://www.techradar.com/us/news/so...ndows-9-release-date-be-october-2014--1217205

Reaction score
Could XP users then jump straight to Windows 9, avoiding Windows 7, 8 & 8.1?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Fascinating if true! I hope some lessons have been learned if we are going to be seeing a big change in direction so soon...

Reaction score
HP in UK still shipping with Windows 8?
Are we getting the crap end of the stick??

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Are Microsoft now becoming like Apple and releasing a new OS every 2 years which in fact is nothing more than a service pack really ?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Let's just file 8/8.1 away with ME & Vista shall we?

Let's face it, MS completely got it wrong - it happens.

Purely my personal POV but the only decent MS OS's were DOS 6.22, XP and Win 7, with Win 7 being the best.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I've been toying with upgrading, still not sure....

GF's laptop has Win 8.1. First thing I did was installed Classic Shell. set it up so you never sees the Charms bar or Metro. Its like a themed Win7, only faster. ;)

Been using her laptop a bit recently to see if i would get on with Win8, its really not that different to 7 once you get past Metro/Charms

I've said in the past, Metro/Tablet UI whatever they want to call it should have been an option on Install/setup. If they had done that no one would have batted an eyelid...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Be that as it may, it's possible it will only have a nine month lifespan which means you going to be pretty sick when Win 9 comes out.

Unless money's no object of course... ;)

And besides, I've read the greater majority of changes from Win 7 to Win 8 are mainly cosmetic with very few real-world improvements 'under the hood'. It may just be your girlfriends' machine has good hardware spec and is relatively uncluttered, that would influence speed more than Win 8 imo.

MS cut out a lot of the POST sequence to impress people with a fast boot time with Win 8, but those operations are there for a reason, lots of checks take place on start up in most good OS's.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
No, i understand what your saying and I agree, I just think Win8 has got a bit of a bad rep, but then its Microsoft's fault anyway! haha.

Well we'll see, I'm still contemplating it, haven't made up my mind fully yet....

Ask a Question