Windows 2000 Professional

Reaction score
Hi, I have a Dell Dimension 4100. Was having problems so I tried to re-install the operating system (Windows 2000) from the CD that came with the Dell. Chose option to upgrade OS instead of clean install. Now everytime I get to the scree that says performing final tasks (registering components) the computer freezes. If I shut down the computer manually when I turn it back on it prompts me to run OS cd again and goes through a series of steps until it get to the same screen again and hangs. How do I resolve this problem. Better yet how do I even get to something else when I start my computer. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Candy
icon8.gif

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I'm wondering if the problems you have with the OS install are somehow related to the issues you had earlier.

You may have a hardware issue that is causing the problem when it reaches the registering components stage - does your PC have a separate graphics card or is it onboard?

If it has both then I would remove the separate one from the motherboard and try again using the onboard graphics and see if that makes a difference.

You could also try a complete clean install too.

Reaction score
windows 2000

Okay if I want to do a clean install how do I get there.....everytime I start my computer from the os cd now it just goes to the screen that I was at before. I can't get to the screen anymore that gives me an option for a clean install. How do I get to that again.....Please help....Candy

Ask a Question