unable to install software - windows 7

Reaction score
i have a Dell inspiron which developed a fault some months ago whereby the WLAN became erratic, & the machine would just freeze up and nothing would happen until you tapped the casing! (yeah.. technical!). I put this down to the Dell MB flex problem and eventually the machine was returned to Dell. since thn it has been back & forth to Dell and has had a new MB, 2 new HD, new WLAN, new CD/DVD drive. The OS has also been reinstalled.
I have it back now with all the new parts and a fresh install of Win7, and have applied all updates. However when i try to install software - in this case my Epson printer disk (which i have successfully installed on 2 other machines here) it fails with a message - <procedure entry point could not be located in the dynamic link library SETUPAPI.DLL>
An install of MS office meets the same fate and an install of adobe photoshop fails with the message that the procedure could not be started.
This was the problem the last time it went back to Dell and they haven't resolved it - they just fitted a new optical drive and reinstalled the OS (which i though might have cured it, but it didn't).
It will be going back to Dell as soon as their rubbish support team respond, but itm, anyone got any ideas on this? Surely the setupapi.dll should have been installed properly with the OS. I have run nothing at all on the machine yet - just tried to install software, so i don't see how it could be corrupted.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The Dell Motherboard flex problem? This is a common thing? Blimey. This is why I advise folk never to buy Dell, they is rubbish, imo.

Which isn't helping you with your problerm though is it? It is a strange one, must admit. Doesn't seem like a hardware fault but it is slightly possible any fault in memory, motherboard or hard disk might cause it.

All I can suggest is turning UAC off completely and scanning with Anti-Malware software such as Malware Bytes (it's a freebie) and also scanning with some anti-virus software.

I'd also consider doing my own fresh install of Win 7 rather than relying on Dell's install. I'm assuming Dell supplied a full version of Win 7 with the machine.

Others here may be able to offer more helpful suggestions. Good luck.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
From previous knowledge of major brand manufacturing:

If you have that problem, there is probably a ground issue in the machine causing a short.

Either that, or it sounds like you have a CPU issue. Overheating, or general failure. This is the only common part in all that you've replaced.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Tell them to replace the case ... better still, get a full refund. :)

Reaction score
thanks for the replies everyone.. but i guess it's all academic now as.. at long last!!.. Dell are replacing the laptop :)

Ask a Question