Windows XP Windows 2000 problem

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
A friend needed help as their pc screwed up so I went along to see if I could help .To cut a long story short .
I used the Dos command SCANREG/FIX as far as I can remember and this seemed to fix the problem but I had to leave before the pc was shut down .

Now it seems as thoughthe pc is running ok apart from it won't shut down from windows , you have to switch the power of .

Secondly , internet acces is fine apart from signing in to sites , e-meail , e-bay etc .

Got any ideas what could be wrong and how to fix it .

:confused:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
If I can find a solution I earn another pint . Help a poor thirsty chap after all its christmas .

laughingsmiley.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Haven't a clue feckit know nowt about 2000 . I guess if I ran the SCANREG/FIX then it might have set stuff back to default . Where would I find such a patch ? It would probably take me days to find on MS's site .

:)

Reaction score
The best way to test to see if it is an application or hardware related issue is to boot to safe mode. If you able to turn the system off properly, then the issue is application related, if not is hardware related.

Seeing as it is most probably an application issue, try updating it to SP4

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
G~MAN said:
The best way to test to see if it is an application or hardware related issue is to boot to safe mode. If you able to turn the system off properly, then the issue is application related, if not is hardware related.

Seeing as it is most probably an application issue, try updating it to SP4

Cheers for the info , that sounds like something I can deal with . I'm almost sure that it is application or os related as the original problem started when the friend tried to install Adobe Photoshop .

nod.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Well I rang me friend and talked her through getting into safe mode and whooooopeee the pc shut down just as it should from safe mode . So from G~Mans advive it looks like a application problem . Are there any obviuos settings that spring to mind that I may have missed that would stop signing in to sites and stopping the pc from shutting down ? Or would it be a doddy/missing file perhaps ?
Me friend is not pc techy so shes going to find out if the 2000 is up to date with all the stuff from MS from the guy who helped her by re-installing the os some months ago , but he is ill at the moment and she does not want to trouble him with too many pleas for help .

user.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I know your all busy shopping and buying shares but anyone got any bright ideas for me problem .

happywave.gif

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The only way I can think of would be to see which services and applications didn't load during safe mode (that normally would) and try disabling them all end then re-enable one-by-one. A bit slow, but it's all I can think of :blush:

This link might help some more though:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315409&sd=RMVP

Reaction score
Have you checked for any viruses? I've never used 2000 personally, I can only recommend updating everything

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Thanks guys . That link you gave Ian looks like it may do the trick . I'd never have found it as I always get lost on the MS site .

nod.gif

Ask a Question