Window Mail rejects name and password, but brings up email anyway

Windows Mail rejects name/PW then works

I recently bought a Vista computer and transfered settings and data from old
XP computer. I used Easy Transfer Cable and its transfer software. The send
/ recieve server info is correct and the password and user name I enter has
been validated by my ISP. But when I start Windows Mail or click
Send/Recieve or just recieve an incoming message a Windows Security window
pops up asking for my user name and password; when I enter them they are
rejected and this error message pops-up.

Under the "Errors" tab:
Account: 'pop.west.cox.net', Server: 'pop.west.cox.net', Protocol: POP3,
Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC17

Under the Tasks tab:
X Check for new messages on 'pop.west.co... Failed Local Area
Network
Ck Check for new messages on 'pop.west.co... Completed Local Area
Network

1 of 2 tasks have completed successfully

To make it more weird, Windows Mail comes up anyway, seemingly ignoring the
error. I can seemingly do everything I want, but I'm really getting tired of
closing the error messages

Any help greatly appreciated.

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

"Windows Mail rejects name/PW then works" <Windows Mail rejects name/PW then
works @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
[...]

Tools | Accounts
Make sure you don't have the same account entered twice.

Stormin''

I have the same problem but I cannot retrieve my mail no matter what ID &
password I use. Have contacted my ISP and all is ok as far they are
concerned. I don't have the account entered twice but do have a hotmail
address. any help will be appreciated as I know I have several e-mails to
answer.

Gary VanderMolen

It would be helpful if you told us who your email service provider is.
If there is an error message, copy it and paste into a reply here.