Win XP not loading!

C

Capt K Ripendran

I have a Win XP SP2 with IE & OE6. Although I use a APC UPS, the power went
off suddenly with the UPC also going off! Now, I keep getting a screen with
"Start Windows Normally" and with other options - but none of them are able
to load Windows. I tried the Repair option as I do not want to use the
Recovery Option which will erase all the Data.

What is the cause and what can be done to start windows. I do NOT have a
Start Up disk though the Compaq Presario has a floopy disk drive - as this
has happened for the first time!
Thanking you
Capt K Ripendran

P

Pegasus \(MVP\)

Capt K Ripendran said:
I have a Win XP SP2 with IE & OE6. Although I use a APC UPS, the power went
off suddenly with the UPC also going off! Now, I keep getting a screen with
"Start Windows Normally" and with other options - but none of them are
able to load Windows. I tried the Repair option as I do not want to use
the Recovery Option which will erase all the Data.

What is the cause and what can be done to start windows. I do NOT have a
Start Up disk though the Compaq Presario has a floopy disk drive - as this
has happened for the first time!
Thanking you
Capt K Ripendran

You should report how far the boot process goes and what messages
you see on the screen.

C

Capt K Ripendran

The following messages are seen on the screen:
"We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally."

This is followed by the corresponding choices, plus a choice of Safe Mode startups.
But, whatever is chosen the screen goes back to the same msg!

Thanking you
Capt K Ripendran

P

Pegasus \(MVP\)

The message you report tells you that the previous startup attempt was unsuccessful. Your PC will then give you the bootup menu that includes the Normal Boot and the Safe Mode options. What is of interest is what exactly happens ***after*** you select the Safe Mode option.
"We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally."

This is followed by the corresponding choices, plus a choice of Safe Mode startups.

Thanking you
Capt K Ripendran

C

Capt K Ripendran

As I had said, even when I choose the Safe Boot option it comes back to the same screen! I had tried different safe Boot option but the result is the same. My suspicion is that the PC is NOT booting the C drive but the D drive where Presario_RP files (FAT 32) are stored! How do I get back to C drive where (NTFS) files are stored?!

The message you report tells you that the previous startup attempt was unsuccessful. Your PC will then give you the bootup menu that includes the Normal Boot and the Safe Mode options. What is of interest is what exactly happens ***after*** you select the Safe Mode option.

Thanking you
Capt K Ripendran

P

Pegasus \(MVP\)

I do not think that the PC is trying to boot from drive D:. If it did then it would not go through the initial boot process at all. However, it would be a good idea to test your suspicion: Disconnect your second disk and see what happens!

I suspect that something has damaged your registry. Normally you would use System Restore to fix it. Since you cannot get into Windows, you cannot use System Restore directly. The link below describes a method to do it indirectly. It's a complex procedure and you might want to ask an experienced friend to assist you. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545
As I had said, even when I choose the Safe Boot option it comes back to the same screen! I had tried different safe Boot option but the result is the same. My suspicion is that the PC is NOT booting the C drive but the D drive where Presario_RP files (FAT 32) are stored! How do I get back to C drive where (NTFS) files are stored?!

Thanking you
Capt K Ripendran

C

Capt K Ripendran

I do not have two disks! The one disk is partitioned into C & D. However, I solved the problem by changing the boot sequence to CD first instead of floppy, CD, and HD. I then used the recovery disk and was able to start Win XP.
Thank you for all your suggestions.

I do not think that the PC is trying to boot from drive D:. If it did then it would not go through the initial boot process at all. However, it would be a good idea to test your suspicion: Disconnect your second disk and see what happens!

I suspect that something has damaged your registry. Normally you would use System Restore to fix it. Since you cannot get into Windows, you cannot use System Restore directly. The link below describes a method to do it indirectly. It's a complex procedure and you might want to ask an experienced friend to assist you. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

Thanking you
Capt K Ripendran

P

Pegasus \(MVP\)

Glad you were able to resolve your problem. I'm totally baffled but thanks for the feedback.
I do not have two disks! The one disk is partitioned into C & D. However, I solved the problem by changing the boot sequence to CD first instead of floppy, CD, and HD. I then used the recovery disk and was able to start Win XP.
Thank you for all your suggestions.

Thanking you
Capt K Ripendran

Ask a Question