Win wants "SP4" CD...?

Kenneth

Howdy,

I run Win 2000 Pro SP4 on my laptop...

I just got an error message that said (in effect) "Some
windows system files have been modified. Insert the Windows
SP4 CD and click OK."

I inserted the original Win CD, but on clicking OK got
another error telling me that it was not the correct CD.

Of course, it is the only one that I have. The SP4 status
was generated with downloads.

What should be my next step?

Thanks for any help on this,

neo [mvp outlook]

You would have to build an integrated CD using your original media and
slipstream SP4 into it. I've always used the steps at
http://old.bink.nu/bootcd/ to accomplish, but other in the group might
suggest other methods.

Kenneth

You would have to build an integrated CD using your original media and
slipstream SP4 into it. I've always used the steps at
http://old.bink.nu/bootcd/ to accomplish, but other in the group might
suggest other methods.

Hello again,

I thank you for your suggestion, but after reading the
instructions must ask if there might be another route.

The process outlined is over my head...

Might there be a way I can discover which files Win thinks
have been modified (so that I could replace those)?

Thanks for any further thoughts,

neo [mvp outlook]

I've never used this program, but AutoStreamer might be worth a peek
http://www.autopatcher.com/autostreamer.html

/neo

ps - be advised that companies like dell, gateway, compaq, .etc distribute
an OEM CD. It might not be possible to slipstream SP4 into it, but anything
is worth a try before calling your OEM and see if they can slide you
replacement media with the SP already integrated.

Celler Dweller

neo said:
You would have to build an integrated CD using your original media and
slipstream SP4 into it. I've always used the steps at
http://old.bink.nu/bootcd/ to accomplish, but other in the group might
suggest other methods.

Howdy,

I run Win 2000 Pro SP4 on my laptop...

I just got an error message that said (in effect) "Some
windows system files have been modified. Insert the Windows
SP4 CD and click OK."

I inserted the original Win CD, but on clicking OK got
another error telling me that it was not the correct CD.

Of course, it is the only one that I have. The SP4 status
was generated with downloads.

What should be my next step?

Thanks for any help on this,
Hi Guys,
This is the Windows File protection service. A little registry edit will
do the trick. look at the bottom of the first article

Registry Settings for Windows File Protection -
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;222473

here is a copy of the .reg file I used to fix tis problem when I
encountered it.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup]

"SourcePath"="C:\\"
"ServicePackSourcePath"="C:\\"

Kenneth

neo said:
[...]

Please accept my thanks... I will experiment with it
tomorrow,

Kenneth

neo said:
[...]

I just read the article (but I am not at the system on which
I had the problem...

When I run updates, I do not specify any location for the
files, I just let Update do its thing.

Should I be using the two registry entries you suggest above
in that situation?

lforbes

wrote in message
 >>  >>
  >>>Howdy,
  >>>
  >>>I run Win 2000 Pro SP4 on my laptop...
  >>>
  >>>I just got an error message that said (in
effect) "Some
  >>>windows system files have been modified. Insert
the Windows
  >>>SP4 CD and click OK."
  >>>
  >>>I inserted the original Win CD, but on clicking
OK got
  >>>another error telling me that it was not the
correct CD.

  >>>Of course, it is the only one that I have. The
SP4 status
  >>>was generated with downloads.
  >>>
  >>>What should be my next step?
  >>>
  >>>Thanks for any help on this,
  >>>
  >>>--
  >>>Kenneth
  >>>
  >>>If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."

Hi Guys,
This is the Windows File protection service. A little registry edit will
do the trick. look at the bottom of the first article

Registry Settings for Windows File Protection -
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;222473

here is a copy of the .reg file I used to fix tis problem when I
encountered it.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersion Setup]

"SourcePath"="C:\"
"ServicePackSourcePath"="C:\"
Hello again,

I just read the article (but I am not at the system on which
I had the problem...

When I run updates, I do not specify any location for the
files, I just let Update do its thing.

Should I be using the two registry entries you suggest above
in that situation?

Windows File Protection gets upset when files in the DllCache (hidden
in the System32 Folder) get out of sync with the C:\Windows\System32
or Drivers files.

However, you get this message when you delete sol.exe (solitaire) or
outlook express from both the dllcache folder and the windows folder.
Who would have thought Solitaire was an essential windows file.

You can fix the problem easily by reapply SP4. Download the entire
works from Microsoft
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/servicepacks/sp4/default.asp

Install it and it should fix the problem.

Cheers,

Lara

George Hester

I'm not sure why you are pointing to C for ServicePackSourcePath. A better location would be to download the Service Pack in question (the Network install) un-pack it and store it somewhere. Then point to the folder just above the i386 folder in that.

--
George Hester
Celler Dweller said:
neo said:
[...]

Good point, My PC happens to be setup with the i386 folder for the
service pack on the root of C:. Not everyone’s PC will be just like this.