Win 16 Subsystem has insufficient resources

Siegmund Baumann

After working with my freshly installed computer for
about half a day I receive the following application popup

"The Win 16 Subsystem has insufficent resources to
continue running. Click on OK, close your applications,
and restart your machine."

Simply killing the NTVDM process does not help. I can no
longer start any 16 bit application till I reboot my
system. If I ignore the message and continue working with
32 bit applications then explorer starts "to be crazy":
Parts of the task bar are displayed on the top of the
screen, some items are no longer displayed, etc.
Sometimes it consumes 100% of the CPU time for 1 or 2
minutes without any reason. If I kill the explorer and
start a new explorer process I can work for one or two
hours and the problems start again.

I encountered the same problem on my old computer, so I
believe it is not hardware related. I run XP and I have
all updates from windows update installed.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Siegmund Baumann

Further investigation has shown that if the explorer
consumes 100% CPU time, then the number of GDI objects is
10000, which is the WIN32 limit. How can I find out what
triggers this resource leak?

Malke

Siegmund said:
Further investigation has shown that if the explorer
consumes 100% CPU time, then the number of GDI objects is
10000, which is the WIN32 limit. How can I find out what
triggers this resource leak?

Usually this error is generated by an older program designed for DOS.
Are you running anything like that?

Malke

RB

I am having the same issue. We're running a old FoxPro DB app from a
server location and many of the XP clients are getting the error.
1) I am running the application in separate memory.
2) Compatibility mode won't work on programs run from a network
location.
3) This happens after the machine has been running the application for
3 or 4 hours, after that only a reboot will fix it.
4) Interestingly enough, this app has run fine for years on our NT4
boxes, leading me to think that it's not a memory leak in the program.

From system log:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Application Popup
Event Category: None
Event ID: 26
Date: 1/23/2004
Time: 12:53:58 PM
User: N/A
Computer: A11379
Application popup: Application: FOXPROW : The Win 16 Subsystem has
insufficent resources to continue running. Click on OK, close your
applications, and restart your machine.

Any help greatly appreciated!

-Randy

jgt

The past two weeks have been pure hell with this issue. I
have no idea what brought it on or how to resolve. I get
failures when I attempt to uninstall applications, update
drivers, etc. The only fix is to reboot. I now find
myself rebooting several times a day whereas before this
became such an issue I could run weeks without a reboot.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

I'm running WinXP Pro with all the latest updates.
I am having the same issue. We're running a old FoxPro DB app from a
server location and many of the XP clients are getting the error.
1) I am running the application in separate memory.
2) Compatibility mode won't work on programs run from a network
location.
3) This happens after the machine has been running the application for
3 or 4 hours, after that only a reboot will fix it.
4) Interestingly enough, this app has run fine for years on our NT4
boxes, leading me to think that it's not a memory leak in the program.

From system log:

Date: 1/23/2004
Time: 12:53:58 PM
User: N/A
Computer: A11379
Application popup: Application: FOXPROW : The Win 16 Subsystem has
insufficent resources to continue running. Click on OK, close your
applications, and restart your machine.

Any help greatly appreciated!

-Randy

"Siegmund Baumann" <[email protected]>