Will the real Eval SP2 please stand up?

Roger Levy

I have seen lots of confusion in this NG about obtaining SP2 and eval SP2. For
example:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/embedded/usewinemb/xp/tools/lang/default.aspx
Has a link described as "Windows XP Embedded with Service Pack 2 Evaluation
Version Download Files." The non-MUI file downloaded here is
WINDOWS_XP_EMBEDDED_SP2E.EXE. The page also has a link to the Download Center
for "more downloads related to Windows XP Embedded with SP2." When I go to the
Download Center there are no such obvious links so I use the exact wording in
the reference, "Windows XP Embedded with SP2" as a search key. This produces 2
hits, one of which is "Windows XP Embedded with SP2." That link is:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...22-256b-48c5-91c1-af6062340efc&DisplayLang=en
Which is a different download than the first -- the file downloaded here is
XPEFFI.exe. This file does not mention "evaluation" and I think it is also not
described properly because I think it is not "Windows XP Embedded with SP2" but
rather just the SP. I claim that because it did not install for me as a
standalone but instead I was able to use it by first installing my eval SP1 from
a CD and then installing this download to upgrade to SP2.

However that upgrade was not satisfactory. I tried to import e1000325.inf with
CD because I need Intel GBe support and I have found that drivers that work in
SP1 do not work in SP2. The import process failed with "File import failed due
to unspecified error while processing file ..." Other NG articles say that
error is typical of TP so maybe XPEFFI.exe gave me the TP? Should I uninstall
my eval SP1 with XPEFFI.exe on top and do a clean install of
WINDOWS_XP_EMBEDDED_SP2E.EXE? Am I likely to be able to import e1000325.inf if
I do so?

Roger

JC

So I can see your confusion. There are a couple methods here...

1. if you are downloading the XPE with SP2 eval, this is the FULL version of
XPE with SP2. if you are running SP1 already, you will need to back up your
SLD's and Repositories of any components you have created, then Backup your
SLX files. Uninstall SP1, then reboot. Once you have rebooted, install the
XPE with SP2...

This is the First link you posted.

2. if you are UPGRADING to SP2 from SP1 (the second link you posted) you
should be able to install it on top of your SP1 installation. There is a SA
password workaround for MSDE you need to implement, but that's documented in
NG already.

NOTE: if you are running the Full licensed version of XPE SP1, then neither
of these links will work. you will need to go to the OEM secure site
https:.//microsoft.embeddedoem.com to obtain the licensed version.

That will hopefully settle the confusion. Most likely if you uninstall SP1
and reinstall the Full SP2, this will fix your problem with e1000325.inf...
however the best way to do this is to use CD with your driver, and make it a
true component in the database. (maybe that's what you were eluding to, but
it was not clear there) :)

HTH,
JC

Roger Levy

JC,
In the hope that you were right I uninstalled my eval SP2 which was built by the
2nd method you described. From your explanation, my expectation was that the
first method would be a full, self contained install of eval XPe/SP2. However
when I started WINDOWS_XP_EMBEDDED_SP2E.EXE, it auto-extracted a lot of files
and then displayed the exact same startup screen that was displayed by
XPEFFI.exe including the message:

If you have not installed Windows XP Embedded with Service Pack 1, insert Disc 1
and choose Tools Setup. Windows XP Embedded with SP1 is required before you
install ...

So it appears that both files are SP2 updates. Why are there 2 different SP2
updates to the evaluation edition? Is one of them really the TP as I asked
before? If not, which one should I use? I've already observed that the
XPEFFI.exe update has a characteristic attributed to TP, i.e. failure of CD to
import an .inf file.

Roger

KM

Roger,

The second link you posted - SP2 Eval - beside the SP2 Update it also does include SP1 (SP1 ToolKit, MSDE, SP1 Database) as a part
of the download unless you explicitly uncheck related checkboxes in XPEFFI.exe tool GUI.
The link I am talking about is
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...22-256b-48c5-91c1-af6062340efc&DisplayLang=en. (read Instructions
section on the page).

AFAIK, there is no just Full SP2 available. SP2 is always an update to SP1. Some links allow you to download just SP2 Update, some
SP2 Update+SP1. This is true for Eval and Non-Eval versions.

Now about the difference in the links you posted earlier. The first one - direct download over http.
While the second link allows you to use XPEFFI (Web download) Tool. The tool just saves you some click-time and provides a
multithread download of all the required files to selected destination. Some issues with XPEFFI are known when you are behind a
firewall. So, I guess, that is the reason Microsoft created the first link.

The used to be a link to SP2 TP download (which, IIRC, was just a SP2 Update download) but I failed to find it now (maybe already
removed?) and it is definitely not one of the links you listed.

Larry Waibel

I have a boxed product labeled Microsoft Windows XP Embedded, Includes Service pack 1. I
don't see any place where it says 'evaluation'. Which version of SP2 do I download to
update it? Thanks!

From: "KM" <konstmor@nospam_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Will the real Eval SP2 please stand up?
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 15:25:48 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=dacd1722-256b-48c5-91c1-af6062340e
fc&DisplayLang=en. (read Instructions
section on the page).

AFAIK, there is no just Full SP2 available. SP2 is always an update to SP1. Some links
allow you to download just SP2 Update, some
SP2 Update+SP1. This is true for Eval and Non-Eval versions.

Now about the difference in the links you posted earlier. The first one - direct download over http.
While the second link allows you to use XPEFFI (Web download) Tool. The tool just saves
you some click-time and provides a
multithread download of all the required files to selected destination. Some issues with
XPEFFI are known when you are behind a
firewall. So, I guess, that is the reason Microsoft created the first link.

The used to be a link to SP2 TP download (which, IIRC, was just a SP2 Update download)
but I failed to find it now (maybe already

KM

Larry,

Are you asking about ToolKit or runtime image?
If it is about the ToolKit, check out the Configuration settings. If the feild to enter PID number is there - it is the Full
version, if not - Eval.
If you asked about the runtime and the image has Explorer Shell, on the Shell Desktop it will show an Eval string at the right
bottom corner.

Larry Waibel

I'm asking about the ToolKit. Where do I find the 'Configuration settings'?

From: "KM" <konstmor@nospam_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 12:17:43 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded

Larry,

Are you asking about ToolKit or runtime image?
If it is about the ToolKit, check out the Configuration settings. If the feild to enter PID number is there - it is the Full
version, if not - Eval.
If you asked about the runtime and the image has Explorer Shell, on the Shell Desktop it will show an Eval string at the right
bottom corner.

KM

Larry,

Open your SLX (XPE Project) with TD and click on the "Settings" node on the top of the middle window.
Check the "Run-time Image Licensing" section of the page appeared on the right side window.

KM, BSquare Corp.

I'm asking about the ToolKit. Where do I find the 'Configuration settings'?

Larry Waibel

MSDN has a number of 'product updates' downloads. Are these included in the SP2 download or should they all be downloaded and
imported before the SP2 install?

KM

Larry,

SP2 database includes most of the QFEs from SP1. You don't need to download/install them separately.

Larry Waibel

Okay, there is a PID entry field so I have the full version. It's not real clear to me
whether that link download file can be applied to both the eval and full versions?

From: "KM" <konstmor@nospam_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 14:05:43 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded

Larry,

Open your SLX (XPE Project) with TD and click on the "Settings" node on the top of the middle window.
Check the "Run-time Image Licensing" section of the page appeared on the right side window.

KM, BSquare Corp.
I'm asking about the ToolKit. Where do I find the 'Configuration settings'?
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=dacd1722-256b-48c5-91c1-af606234
0e http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=dacd1722-256b-48c5-91c1-af606234
0e

KM

Larry,

What link download you are reffering to?

KM