Will SP2 for XP Pro Solve "Windows could not start ...corrupt file..."?

W

W. Watson

If I try to move my ASUS A7S333 mbrd speed from 1.1Ghz to 1.5Ghz, I get the very
popular message "Windows could not start because of the missing or corrupt file
\winnt\...blah-blah. You can attempt to repair using ... setup cd-rom with 'r' ...
blah-blah". I'm using an AMD Athlon XP 1700+ cpu. When I installed XP Pro some 15
months ago, I had the same problem but settled for 1.1GHz, since that was plenty for
my system. I recently added a Sony DVD burner and Sony says I need to run at 1.6Ghz
to use the burner without any weirdness according to Sony.

I've been talking to ASUS today and they say the problem is in XP, and not their
board or the AMD cpu. They say to contact Microsoft about XP Pro. I told them it
costs about $350 for a service call where MS will completely solve a problem.
Shocking isn't it? It used to be $95 back in the days of NT 4.0 and early Win 2000
Pro. Not willing to part with $350 I ask if maybe this problem isn't solved with SP2?

If one looks on the web with Google for "Windows would not start becuase", one gets a
lot of hits. I haven't hit on one for my processor and cpu. Maybe it's out there. My
point though is that this message is found often enough that MS should know something
about it. So where's the XP solution?
--
Wayne T. Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA)
(121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time)
Obz Site: 39° 15' 7" N, 121° 2' 32" W, 2700 feet
(Formerly Homo habilis, erectus, heidelbergensis and now sapiens)

Sign in Programming Department: Mistakes made while you wait.

Web Page: <home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews>

W

W. Watson

Gus said:
Have you updated your bios to version 1002?
I believe it's 1004. See my other post, "Windows could not start because of the
following ..." ASUS A7S333 Motherboard", which updates progress on this difficulty.
The reason I started this somewhat similar thread is that when I talked to one of
ASUS tech support guys he was adamant that it was an XP problem. I told him if one
searches Google with "Windows could not ..." that you get so many hits that the
problem is almost rampant. None of them seems to implicate MS. That got me bumped to
a higher level of support techie and he gave me a potential solution. See the thread
for details. I should have an answer this morning. Nevertheless, I wondered if
someone had the problem and did solve by installing SP2, or if it was even addressed
in SP2. It would seem the problem is encountered often enough that MS would offer
some solace somewhere if it indeed their problem.

--
Wayne T. Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA)
(121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time)
Obz Site: 39° 15' 7" N, 121° 2' 32" W, 2700 feet
(Formerly Homo habilis, erectus, heidelbergensis and now sapiens)

Sign in Programming Department: Mistakes made while you wait.

Web Page: <home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews>

Ask a Question