will not recognize any cd/dvd drives

brucegriffith

My xp/sp2 system has dropped the internal cd and dvd so I bought an external
<usb> cd/dvd drive and hooked it up and during install got message error
occurred and device may not work correctly. This turned out to be true as
the system does not recognize the drive and there is the dreaded yellow
exclamation mark next to it <and the old internal drives>.
Any ideas? I tried uninstall and redo install and got same problem. The
drive works fine on other xp systems that I have on hand. HELP Please.

Claymore

My xp/sp2 system has dropped the internal cd and dvd so I bought an external
<usb> cd/dvd drive and hooked it up and during install got message error
occurred and device may not work correctly. This turned out to be true as
the system does not recognize the drive and there is the dreaded yellow
exclamation mark next to it <and the old internal drives>.
Any ideas? I tried uninstall and redo install and got same problem. The
drive works fine on other xp systems that I have on hand. HELP Please.

Hello Bruce,

Try this:

Fix for missing DVD/CD drives.

Go to Start => Run and type in regedit

Navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class
and select the key{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Go to File => Export
In the Export Registry File dialog box, select 'Selected Branch' under
Export Range; give the file a name, and 'Save' to save the file to the
Desktop.

Next ...

Copy the text below between the dotted lines, but not the dotted lines
themselves. Open Notepad and paste it in. Save the result in a
suitable location as drives.reg - making sure that the default .txt
extension doesn't appear in the file name (Save as type = All Files).
Double-click on the saved .reg file to merge the contents.
Restart.

----------------------- cut after this line
-----------------------------

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-
E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
"UpperFilters"=-
"LowerFilters"=-

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr]

------------------------cut before this line
-----------------------------

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Bruce,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, I agree with Claymore's opinion and please refer to his
suggestions.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: Claymore <[email protected]>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
| Subject: Re: will not recognize any cd/dvd drives
| Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2007 21:01:29 -0700
|
| On Aug 8, 11:18 pm, "brucegriffith" <[email protected]>
| wrote:
| > My xp/sp2 system has dropped the internal cd and dvd so I bought an
external
| > <usb> cd/dvd drive and hooked it up and during install got message error
| > occurred and device may not work correctly. This turned out to be true
as
| > the system does not recognize the drive and there is the dreaded yellow
| > exclamation mark next to it <and the old internal drives>.
| > Any ideas? I tried uninstall and redo install and got same problem. The
| > drive works fine on other xp systems that I have on hand. HELP Please.
|
| Hello Bruce,
|
| Try this:
|
| Fix for missing DVD/CD drives.
|
| Go to Start => Run and type in regedit
|
| Navigate to
| HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class
| and select the key{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
|
| Go to File => Export
| In the Export Registry File dialog box, select 'Selected Branch' under
| Export Range; give the file a name, and 'Save' to save the file to the
| Desktop.
|
| Next ...
|
| Copy the text below between the dotted lines, but not the dotted lines
| themselves. Open Notepad and paste it in. Save the result in a
| suitable location as drives.reg - making sure that the default .txt
| extension doesn't appear in the file name (Save as type = All Files).
| Double-click on the saved .reg file to merge the contents.
| Restart.
|
| ----------------------- cut after this line
| -----------------------------
|
| Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
|
| [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-
| E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
| "UpperFilters"=-
| "LowerFilters"=-
|
| [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K]
|
| [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k]
|
| [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf]
|
| [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr]
|
| ------------------------cut before this line
| -----------------------------

Ron Martell

brucegriffith said:
My xp/sp2 system has dropped the internal cd and dvd so I bought an external
<usb> cd/dvd drive and hooked it up and during install got message error
occurred and device may not work correctly. This turned out to be true as
the system does not recognize the drive and there is the dreaded yellow
exclamation mark next to it <and the old internal drives>.
Any ideas? I tried uninstall and redo install and got same problem. The
drive works fine on other xp systems that I have on hand. HELP Please.

If Claymore's suggestion does not resolve the issue then try using
CDGONE.

Dowload CDGONE.ZIP from http://aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip
Create a new manual System Restore point so you can recover from and
problems.
Extract the contents of CDGONE.ZIP, right-click on CDGONE.REG and
merge it into your registry.
Reboot the computer and your drives should be redetected.

Note that you may also have to reinstall any third party CD/DVD
burning software you have.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2008)
On-Line Help Computer Service

has never been in bed with a mosquito."

Jim Byrd

Hi Bruce - See here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];270008 It may not
sound like it applies but take the steps outlined there to delete the Upper
and Lower Filters.

You can also use this reg file to handle these deletes (it takes care of
deleting some other things which can cause problems as well):
http://www.aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip This is
pretty much the "standard" fix for this type of issue. Backup first so that
you can recover if there are problems (there aren't usually, BTW).

It's recommended by Compaq/HP that you run FilterFixer also when this occurs
to recreate the correct entries, here:
ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp27501-28000/sp27949.exe Instructions
here: ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp27501-28000/sp27949.txt

--
Regards, Jim Byrd,
My Blog, Defending Your Machine,

In brucegriffith <[email protected]> typed:
|| My xp/sp2 system has dropped the internal cd and dvd so I bought an
|| external <usb> cd/dvd drive and hooked it up and during install got
|| message error occurred and device may not work correctly. This
|| turned out to be true as the system does not recognize the drive and
|| there is the dreaded yellow exclamation mark next to it <and the old
|| internal drives>.
|| Any ideas? I tried uninstall and redo install and got same problem.
|| The drive works fine on other xp systems that I have on hand. HELP
|| Please.

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Thanks for all information sharing.