wifi shuts down

Reaction score
On laptop or notebook computers that use Intel PRO Wireless 3945ABG built-in Wi-Fi network adapter in Windows Vista, the WiFi radio signal may just suddenly turns off, shuts off or disable randomly, with the Internet or network cuts off. The wireless network connection may still appear as active and connected with Excellent signal strength in Network Center, but the network status will change to Limited Connectivity. If the system has LED indicator for Wi-Fi wireless radio signal status, the LED light also turns off (may also stays on) and Wi-Fi radio power cannot be toggled back on with Function hotkey (such as Dell QuickSet), even though the software detects the toggling or pressing of keys with WiFi and Bluetooth logo pop up. It looks like the Wireless adapter card loses its power and are completely shutdown and powered off.

Even when the problem happens, the network device appears working properly and normal in Device Manager. The IP address auto-discovered by DHCP may be lost or gone. And there is no way to recover the Wireless radio signal other than restart the system. But the problem will happen again. Even changing configuration settings of roaming aggressiveness, transmit power, wireless mode (between 892.11a/b/g) or power-saving mode does not permanently resolve the Wireless network adapter off problem.

Geo

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
have you tried updating the driver? i've had some really odd wireless issues before and updating the driver generally fixed them. the other one was down to a software conflict, there were 2 bits of software trying to control the wireless

does the router drop out or is it definitely the laptop causing the problem??

Reaction score
It is deffo the laptop causing the problem, because I am able to connect to the internet through my other computers and laptops in the house.

I will try updating the drivers and let you know, I have a weird feeling it is the windows update that does it! :s

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
did you let windows update your drivers too? Always a no no in my book. Let it update windows itself yes, but not the drivers etc....

Reaction score
Hey folks...my wifi has been acting up also...i was blaming the router cos as soon as i powered it off for 10 secs. and powered it back on the wifi came back on so i assumed the router needed to be reset....i'll bo a radar sync later on.

Cheers
Zzzzz

Ask a Question