Windows XP WiFi Issue - Losing connection

Reaction score
I'm working on my brothers computer and have encountered a strange issue: the WiFi is losing connection after approx. 10 minutes (with or without activity).

He was having some connectivity issues (could connect to a network but not browse the internet) and I disabled the LMHOST file use and that issue was solved.

Figuring something got in to his machine, I uninstalled Norton and installed BitDefender instead. It caught and cleaned a few questionable cookies and I deleted some files associated with a trojan (don't remember the specific name other than it seemed very generic).

I then noticed his WiFi would lose connection with my router after approx 10 minutes. After losing connection, I would be unable to reconnect until I reboot the computer. I setup a hotspot on my mobile and experienced the same issue. The hardwired LAN connection is working fine.

Trying to trace it back to a Windows or hardware issue, I booted into a live distribution of Linux and setup networking. The WiFi has worked fine for the last several hours and I've been able to manually disconnect and reconnect with no problems.

Figuring the radio is good and it's a Windows issue, I did some digging around and have updated his WiFi drivers (Broadcom) and disabled power-save mode for the radio. Still experiencing the same issue. As I write this, I have the computer (Compaq CT10 netbook) booted in Safe Mode now and... still having the same issue. I'm not quite sure where to go from here and would appreciate insight anyone could offer that has come across this type of issue before.

Reaction score
New Information: In looking at the event viewer I'm noticing an entry in the Security log. When the WiFi loses connectivity, an event with the category of 'Policy Change' and type 'Failure Audit' is generated. It shows the user being NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE and the description indicates that IP SEC Services failed to get the complete list of network interfaces on the machine.

Reaction score
I'd look for malware with updated Malwarebytes first. It did the same in safe mode as the same service was fully loaded.

I'm thinking of the Wireless Zero Configuration service as it's definitely software. Go to Start -> Run -> Services.msc, search for Wireless Zero Configuration, open the properties, go stop, apply and start, apply.

If this doesn't help disable the service for good and try connecting manually through the Wireless network properties by providing SSID etc.

If that fails try a different wireless network management programme.

Ask a Question