which speed?

Reaction score
Hi all, new to this forum. I am thinking about getting broadband would like to know if you think a half meg connection can handle online gaming, call of duty, unreal tournament etc. The isp would be Virgin as they dont have a 12 month contract and its only £17.99

http://www.virgin.net/internetaccess/signup/noscript.html

would appreciate any thoughts or comments or any suggestions for good value broadband

thanks

gazzaman

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
the 6GB cap is not enough for online gaming i have a tiscali 512K connection with 30GB cap a month for £15.99, even though i dont do any gaming im still using about 15GB of that limit

Reaction score
thanks for the quick reply, do you need to download stuff when playing on line? If so would i need a isp with unlimited downloads?
Gazzaman

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
gazzaman,

You posted the same message in two different sections on the forum, please refrain from doing so in future, it only adds to confusion.

I have deleted your second post identical to above in Off Topic section.

Thank you :)

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
when playing a game you are sending and recieving information, an unlimited connection is a good idea if you play games and download alot every month and you dont mind paying for it

Last edited:
Reaction score
thanks for the help, in case i play alot i better search out a bigger download, to give me an idea, how many hours do you play a week online for your 15gb amonth usage

Reaction score
15gb is lots and lots!!!!!

i dont even download 15gb in 6 months!!!
:)

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i listen to the radio all the time i send loads of emails and download loads of music, plus theres all of the internet browsing i do and then whatever the rest of my family do. from the 1 - 7 of this month we've done 4300mb of data and 60 hours online! thats with NO gaming

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
First, 512 is plenty bandwidth for online gaming.

I use Zen, 512, no limits at all, £25.00 pcm, no contract (subscribe for just one month, if you wish) and web space.

I'm very pleased with Zen, but they are twenty five quid.

But for the price and the reliability, I haven't found anybody else to match them, there always seem to be limits, drawbacks and clauses in the fine print with every other supplier.

Reaction score
hi, thanks again for the responses, so it seems that a 512k connection with unlimited downloads is what i should aim for. I know this may sound stupid but, when you are on line gaming does that use up ALOT of your download limit, hence thats why i need unlimited downloads???
cheers

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
First, 512 is plenty bandwidth for online gaming.

I use Zen, 512, no limits at all, £25.00 pcm, no contract (subscribe for just one month, if you wish) and web space.

i like the idea of a single monthly contract
i wasnt aware of zen offering this

im with bulldog at the minute going 8 months into a 12 month contract
i hate commitment in all aspects!!!:) and plus i cant afford a 12 month contract. unless bulldog offer me a really good offer im gona leave them.

so when this contract runs out i will be looking for a monthly broadband company i knew of Virgin but i now know of Zen

thanks

Ask a Question