Which? condemns Windows 10

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Consumer group Which? have conducted a survey of their members to get feedback on the Windows 10 operating system, and the results are far from pretty. According to their results, 12 per cent of members who installed Windows 10 reverted to an earlier operating system, and many users claim they actually didn't choose to install Windows 10 in the first place - it happened automatically without their permission.

“Many have complained about being ‘nagged’ by Microsoft alerts to install the new update and, despite declining notifications to install the software, they told Which? Windows 10 installed itself anyway,” according to Which?

Microsoft has previously denied that Windows 10 installs itself without permission, claiming that the installer offers the choice of accepting or declining the upgrade. Nevertheless, the firm has been aggressively pushing the new code during the year-long free upgrade period, making it a recommended download on Windows Update rather than an optional one, for example – before finally canning it in a blaze of almost no publicity at all.

You can read the full article at The Register.

Reaction score
Yep It tried to install on my PC automatically as I mentioned several months ago. My face was not a pretty sight

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
it happened automatically without their permission.

Yes, that happened to me. I have a crunching PC and one day when I checked it I found that Win10 had been downloaded and installed. Not so much as a by your leave, there it was. It wasn't much after I'd upgraded my main PC to Win 10 and, as I had no problem with that, I decided to leave it on.

Fortunately I've not had any problems with it but I did feel a bit aggrieved about not having the option to say "No". :mad:

Reaction score
Well as you all know I am a elderly home user and I converted to Linux Mint last December after Microcrap installed W10 on my PC and now I am a very happy bunny. To be honest the reasons were I found running a Microsoft PC was expensive as most of the apps you had to pay a annual fee, not all admitted but any of the decent ones. I also had reservations over their data collection etc (how dare they) as I had built my PC. I have found Linux Mint very easy to run the updates are not forced on you you have the option of not installing them if you so wish. No I will not be installing W10 any time soon.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I thought the title of this thread read ...

"Which 'Condoms' for Windows 10"

:user:

Subtle, Mr Mucks ;)

Considering all the computers Windows 10 has impregnated perhaps that would have been a good idea...

I realise Win 10 spies mercilessly, is dictatorial and gives users less choice than previous operating systems but I still quite like it and it has advantages, free Forza Motorsport 6 Apex for one.

I'm just thankful that if I want to visit iffy websites, play some less than lawful games and download some things that I perhaps should not, I still have Win 7, Mint 18 and even Win XP to use should I wish.

Last edited:

Ask a Question