Which Camera?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
No pix yet folks, the weather has been dull and I've been a little busy.

Got all me bits now, 2 spare batts, spare Sandisk Extreme 16Gb Memory card, case and I've printed the manual out on A5 paper and put it in ring binders. Promise some pix soon.

Considering adding a flash gun for the hot shoe and lens adaptor which takes wide angle & telephoto lenses and also filters. Not sure yet though.

Lots of experimenting to do, this thing has a multitude of options and it's hard to know where to start.

This pic taken with daughter's Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS7:

G15.jpg

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Check out Metz flashes they are great value. They haveare 60 percent of the world flash market.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
You can use the "I'm busy" excuse, but, "dull weather" is not an excuse ... I'd be very interested in how it handles exposers to this light. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Here we go then, I've left pix at full size cos resizing this lot would take an eternity and I'm trusting to forum software to reduce them for the thread.

All taken on bog standard auto point and click, flash not used at all, zoom and macro used a few times, these are just first impressions.

I went walkabout, it was a mostly dull overcast day with the sun breaking through occasionally.

IMG_0072.JPG

IMG_0073.JPG

IMG_0074.JPG

IMG_0082.JPG

IMG_0083.JPG

IMG_0084.JPG

IMG_0088.JPG

IMG_0089.JPG

IMG_0090.JPG

IMG_0091.JPG

IMG_0092.JPG

IMG_0093.JPG

IMG_0095.JPG

IMG_0099.JPG

IMG_0100.JPG

IMG_0102.JPG

IMG_0104.JPG

IMG_0105.JPG

IMG_0106.JPG

IMG_0109.JPG

IMG_0110.JPG

IMG_0111.JPG

IMG_0114.JPG

IMG_0117.JPG

IMG_0120.JPG

IMG_0125.JPG

IMG_0129.JPG

IMG_0132.JPG

IMG_0134.JPG

IMG_0136.JPG

IMG_0138.JPG

IMG_0139.JPG

IMG_0141.JPG

IMG_0142.JPG

IMG_0146.JPG

IMG_0149.JPG

IMG_0150.JPG

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Wow! You must be feeling pretty pleased with your new camera Flopps, those photos are super. We thoroughly enjoyed the 'virtual tour' of your home city... well a part of it anyway. :)

Some of those shops looked very interesting (I see you couldn't resist buying that wee boat and pillar box... they look great, nice choices. :thumb:) I rather liked the look of the magnifying glass and chunky shoe-horn in the window below (my OH uses both.)

The close-ups are excellent... in fact, did you notice that your variegated shrub has a touch of (what I believe to be) red-spider mite..? Can see little webs and some tell-tale browning (used to get it on our houseplants sometimes.)

The Cutty Sark is looking really good now, what an amazing restoration job! Who would have thought she could ever be brought back to her former glory after that fire? Very impressive.

Thanks for sharing your pics, hope you'll get oodles more enjoyment from your new camera :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks for reply TC, I'd wanted that pillar box for a few years now but balked at paying full whack for it, as soon as I saw it half price had to go for it, imo it fills it's allotted space perfectly - and it's a money box too, the front door opens. The boat was a tenner and again, fills that space nicely and goes with the two fishy things from Lyme Regis.

I know this thread takes an age to load and that pix can't be viewed as one but I made the pix posts for quickness. I may very well resize some and put them in a seperate thread.

All of my small-leaved plants and the tree plant suffer from some blight or another. Bug spray helps a little. I'm looking for one of those big pump-up bug spray devices for the Spring, the small trigger-squeeze containers are hard work and not very efficient.

Metz flashes eh Quad? Thanks, I'll have a look-see :)

The house with the 3 bay windows (the one nearest the red crane in the pic) after the pic of the Greenwich Tavern is my mate Peter's house, he lives there with his wife Alisa. They let out 2 floors and live on the other. Funny old world, I used to be Peter's boss and now he lives there, the property is worth a King's ransom. Mind you, it was Alisa's money that bought the place.... some folk fall on their feet eh?

The Greenwich Tavern was once known as the Gloucester and in the early seventies I sometimes went there cos they played rock music. Then for about 15 years it was a Gay pub and done a good trade, the lovely boys would line up outside clutching pints (pints of Babycham and Creme De Menthe that is) and pose away. Then it closed for a few years and is now open again concentrating primarily on selling food. Has survived about 5 years so far.

darcy

Enjoyin' the Breeze
Reaction score
congrats 'n' enjoy, flopps; ~ you always were one for fab pic-taking and descriptions : )

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Unfortunately most of the photos aren't showing for me, but I'm currently on my laptop rather than my computer which probably doesn't have enough grunt to cope with the image sizes. From the photos that have loaded it certainly looks like it was a worthy investment, I particularly like the photos of the Cutty Sark with the moody sky in the background, you can just imagine it on the high seas on a stormy day :)

I'll take a look at the photos when I'm back on my PC :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
TC has pointed out elsewhere that Google Picassa will resize a batch of pix. I didn't know that :confused: I've always used Photoshop and edited one pic at atime, a very time-consuming process.

Me will try Picassa later today and put resized pix in a new thread if it works ok.

TC & Darcy & Becky - thanks for comments :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I make a comment.

ok, I make a better comment ... nice snaps. :)

... actually, it looks like a very good camera, you got a range of pics there that do show off what it can do ... enjoy!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thank you Mr Grumps :)

Don't look now but your zimmer frame has a puncture....

Why am I reminded of the two gentlemen in the balcony box in The Muppets here...?

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Flopps - I've only just remembered this. Picsizer from: http://www.axiomx.com/picsizer.htm I've had it on my old PC for years and used it many times. It's very handy if you already have editing software that you're happy with and merely wish to re-size.

It will batch re-size whole folders or just a single pic. So might be better than Picasa for your needs(?) :)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
It took ages for me to finally respond to this thread, I attemted it at least 4-5 times in last two days since you posted the pics. :cry:

It would not allow me to post unless all the pictures were loaded and doing that I felt I was downloading a Linux distro :fool:

Anyway I looked at the pictures and they really look good. I will come back with more when I see something that I need to comment on.

I look forward to some pics after dark or in low light late in the evening just to see how it performs in that situation. No hurry but when you get a chance please do take a few shots and post them will ya?

Meanwhile enjoy your new toy! :thumb:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://www.faststone.org/

The Faststone Image Viewer has a built in batch pic resizer and is fast and easy to use. They also do a stand alone pic resizer which I guess will be as good , I have never used the latter.

Said it before. Why not use the Atpic site. It is free, allows posting pics at full res, folk can view at several different res's and download different res's aswell. Pics can be private or public. Pics are saved on their servers and can be accessed from anywhere.

Great pics Flops. On the pics taken with views across the river how far away are the buildings on the other side of the river ?

:D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
TC has pointed out elsewhere that Google Picassa will resize a batch of pix. I didn't know that :confused: I've always used Photoshop and edited one pic at atime, a very time-consuming process.

Me will try Picassa later today and put resized pix in a new thread if it works ok.

TC & Darcy & Becky - thanks for comments :)

http://digital-photography-school.com/how-to-batch-resize-in-photoshop :)

Failing that Irfanview will do it, its actually very easy, B is the keyboard short cut i believe. :thumb:

Great pics by the way Flops.

Ask a Question