When logged in as Admin, mapped drives aren't visible - only UNC P

When logged in as administrator and executing a program on a network drive
which outputs all available remote drives via (WNetOpenEnum,
WNetGetEnumResource), no drives are visible. When logged in as a "User",
running the same program shows the remote drives visible. Furthermore, when
logged in as administrator, programs such as installshield (during
installtion) and 2003 visual c++ programs don't see mapped drives - they only
get UNC Paths. When logged in as a "User", the mapped drives are available.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem? Our current application
requires that drive letters are visible (in both "user" and "Admin" modes).
I've also submitted a ticket to Macrovision (InstallShield) - they have
confirmed this problem.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
It happens because the drives are mapped in a different user context.
Is this RTM media? I thought this was addressed prior to RTM.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: =?Utf-8?B?RmlzZXJ2RGV2ZWxvcGVy?=
<[email protected]>
|>Subject: RE: When logged in as Admin, mapped drives aren't visible - only
UNC P
|>Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 10:03:02 -0800
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
|>
|>I forgot to mention that this happens when executing the program with the
|>"Run as Admin" option.
|>
|>"FiservDeveloper" wrote:
|>
|>> When logged in as administrator and executing a program on a network
drive
|>> which outputs all available remote drives via (WNetOpenEnum,
|>> WNetGetEnumResource), no drives are visible. When logged in as a
"User",
|>> running the same program shows the remote drives visible. Furthermore,
when
|>> logged in as administrator, programs such as installshield (during
|>> installtion) and 2003 visual c++ programs don't see mapped drives -
they only
|>> get UNC Paths. When logged in as a "User", the mapped drives are
available.

|>> Does anyone have a solution to this problem? Our current application
|>> requires that drive letters are visible (in both "user" and "Admin"
modes).
|>> I've also submitted a ticket to Macrovision (InstallShield) - they have
|>> confirmed this problem.

Yes, this is Vista RTM. The drives were mapped by the same Admin who is
executing the program - so, perhaps I don't understand the different user
context.

I understand running a program when logged in as Administrator no longer
guarantees the program to be running in Admin mode ( you have to "Run as
Administrator"), but I don't see why the drive mappings disappear.

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello,
It happens because the drives are mapped in a different user context.
Is this RTM media? I thought this was addressed prior to RTM.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: =?Utf-8?B?RmlzZXJ2RGV2ZWxvcGVy?=
<[email protected]>
|>Subject: RE: When logged in as Admin, mapped drives aren't visible - only
UNC P
|>Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 10:03:02 -0800
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
|>
|>I forgot to mention that this happens when executing the program with the
|>"Run as Admin" option.
|>
|>"FiservDeveloper" wrote:
|>
|>> When logged in as administrator and executing a program on a network
drive
|>> which outputs all available remote drives via (WNetOpenEnum,
|>> WNetGetEnumResource), no drives are visible. When logged in as a
"User",
|>> running the same program shows the remote drives visible. Furthermore,
when
|>> logged in as administrator, programs such as installshield (during
|>> installtion) and 2003 visual c++ programs don't see mapped drives -
they only
|>> get UNC Paths. When logged in as a "User", the mapped drives are
available.

|>> Does anyone have a solution to this problem? Our current application
|>> requires that drive letters are visible (in both "user" and "Admin"
modes).
|>> I've also submitted a ticket to Macrovision (InstallShield) - they have
|>> confirmed this problem.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
So even though you are running with the same user account, elevating is
using different LUID.
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/aa379261.aspx
I thought this was supposed to have been resolved in RTM.