What you need to keep Windows Safe-ish

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Well, nothing is 100% but if you stick to these programs, one should expect a good 75-80% protection.

This is just my personal recommendations;

Firewall
It is your first line of defence, even if you have one built into your Router, you should also have a software Firewall. Only use one software firewall.

ZoneAlarm, Kerio Personal & MS Windows' own built-in ... there are others.

Antivirus Program
There are hundreds of 'em, some well known brands & some Joe Hickies heap of junk. Use only one AV program, if you need a "second opinion" use an on-line scanner ... if you change AV's, make sure the old one is fully uninstalled.

Anti-Vir, Nod32, F-Secure ... there are others.

Anti-Spyware
This, by far, is the most catered for category, and, here is were people can get confused ... your AV program may not, indeed even leading AV vendors, may not detect the simplest of spyware. Also, be aware that there is hundreds of Anti-Spyware programs that are just Spyware Installers.

SpywareBlaster & IE-Spyad ... are what is turmed "blockers" that is, they just block any attempt to download or run anything on their list. This is not a foolproof method, but NO PC should be without one or the other installed. Yes, you can use both.

Ad-Aware, SpybotSearch & Destroy, MS Windows Defender, Webroot SpySweeper, Ewido & SuperAntiSpyware ... just to name some I have personally tested AND have a good reputation in their own right. Don't be fooled into downloading something 'new' there are far too many 'rip-offs' when it comes to Anti-Spyware.

Now, do not be complacent by Microsoft's Windows Defender, originally called Giant, it is very good and apart from SpySweeper, is one of the few that has a "real-time" scanner.

Trojans
This is a dark area, this should be a job for your AV program ... this sort of attack is overtaking spyware.

A Trojan is by it's nature hard to defend from ... so, Read This ... in a nutshell, if you download & run it, you only have yourself to blame.

If you're unsure if you have been infected, try one of the online scanners from a reputable company.

Worms
Oh heck, well there ain't no Anti-Worm programs, however, a true Worm is usually associated with MS Word & Excel infestations ... W32.Mydoom.AX@mm is an example of a worm.

Sundry Software
Firefox ... yeah, yeah ... but I tell you, it really is more secure than IE6, time will tell if IE7 is any improvement ... it ain't a fad, it is a fact, that FF can offer more protection from browsing websites.

Whatever browser you use, go get SiteAdvisor!!

How many "toolbars" have you installed ... you really do not need them ... you can live without them.

Anybody using Thunderbird ... :thumb:

There are some aspects I haven't covered ... P2P, AIM, MSN, Yahoo chat and a whole bunch of other crap ... I don't use them, and, for a good reason ... you are more likely to be a victim from any of these 'programs' than from anything else you do on the internet. Good luck to you, may your Guru go with you.

err, rant/advice/monthly plug over. ;)

If anybody wants 98% protection form all these "nasties" then see me about installing Linux.:p

Ask a Question