What security do i need for a new computer

Reaction score
I've just got a new computer with Windows vista

On my old computer xp i had
Zonealarm
Avira anti virus
spywareblaster
adaware

Are these the right things to use again on my new computer please.

Reaction score
Hi,

All looks fine to me, if you wanted to you could use SpuerAntiSpyware nad SpyBot they are both good Spyware programs.

Regards,

Wiz

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Along with the anti-spyware applications, you'll need a virus checker. Kaspersky is my personal choice, but there's Anti-Vir if you are after a free solution :)

Reaction score
Would that SuperAntiSpyware be instead of adaware,i think someone once said best not to have to many of these things as they can clash with each other,i have windows defender on xp should i get that aswell or is that one of those that might clash with something like Avira

Reaction score
DaveP2 said:
Would that SuperAntiSpyware be instead of adaware,i think someone once said best not to have to many of these things as they can clash with each other,i have windows defender on xp should i get that aswell or is that one of those that might clash with something like Avira

I agree and Super Anti Spyware is more than enough protection for Spyware and Adware. you can use Super Anti Spyware with windows defender and it should not clash with each other I have never had any problems with them:thumb: . I second what Ian says about KIS and Anti Vir I have used both in the past and they were all fine aswell.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Wiz

Reaction score
I went to zonealarm website and clicked on the download free firewall,it downloaded to my desktop but when i tryed to install from my desktop i got an error message,do you think it has something to do with vista already having a firewall on or should i download it again and have another try?

Reaction score
Hi,

Have you tried turning Vista Firewall of it should be ok once you have done that :)

If not then download it agin and try it.

Thanks,

Wiz

Reaction score
Hi

I switched windows firewall off and then downloaded Zonealarm.
Near the end of the install a message came up on the screen and said

Cannot install ZoneAlarm on this computer.This computer has a 64bit operating system and ZoneAlarm cannot install on this computer.

Reaction score
DaveP2 said:
Hi

I switched windows firewall off and then downloaded Zonealarm.
Near the end of the install a message came up on the screen and said

Cannot install ZoneAlarm on this computer.This computer has a 64bit operating system and ZoneAlarm cannot install on this computer.

Zonealarm haven't released anything for x64 Vista yet..There was a beta out, but that was stopped last year..

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Looks like you can't use Zone Alarm then as it's probably only suitable for 32 bit operating systems and you have Vista 64 bit.

No problem, use Kerio, it may work in a 64 bit system, but I'm not sure.

Personally, I think Vista's Firewall is adequate and don't use a third party firewall. But I also have a hardware firewall in my router.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Personally, I think Vista's Firewall is adequate and don't use a third party firewall. But I also have a hardware firewall in my router.

I second that...Kerio do , do a 64 bit version for Vista

Reaction score
Is Kerio any good as i haven't heard of it before.

Is It Free

I notice on there website it said in one part it said

Version 6.4.2 - January 24, 2008
+ Added support for Windows Server 2008 (32-bit and 64-bit)(February 13, 2008)

Reaction score
Kerio is brilliant in a corparate inviroment, and no it is not free...Honestly Windows Firewall is perfect...Why go changing something that MS have spent millions developing..?Leave it be I say..

Ask a Question