What is a socket protector on the motherboard?

Reaction score
I bought parts from Overclockers to have a custom built PC made for me.......after about 10 months the chip fan broke on the motherboard, soon after that the graphics card also overheated and died.

Overclockers have agreed that if I return all the faulty parts back to overclockers I will get replacements.

BUT they told me that they can only replace the motherboard if I replace the socket protector back onto the motherboard........I don't even know what a socket protector looks like, or if I even have it (since I'm not the one that built this PC)

Overclockers told me that the socket protector goes where the CPU is, but - even if I knew what a socket protector was - I can't remove the CPU, since the overheating problem has caused it to become permanently stuck onto the motherboard.

Overclockers have told me that until the socket protector is put back on, I can't claim a replacement!!

Any thoughts???

Reaction score
I've never even seen one on any of my M/B's

Not unless you wanan class a sticker placed over pin holes as one

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Someone at OC is taking the P ... will the "faulty" MB fall to pieces without it?

:confused:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
What, exactly, is stuck to the motherboard? The CPU or the graphics card?

If either of them is 'stuck' to the motherboard it must have been a spectacular meltdown.

When you contacted Overclockers, was it by phone, by any chance? And was it a verbal request for this socket protector?

Need more details here, something just ain't sitting right.

Reaction score
You have misread m8

The fan on motherboard is FUBAR he needs to change it

But they have old him he cant unless a CPU socket protector is in place when returned

Reaction score
To clarify.....

The 1st problem was that the chip fan on the m/b broke, causing some kind of meltdown...... Overclockers told me to return the m/b to them with the socket protector on (god knows what that is). To do this I need to remove the CPU as this isn't faulty. I can't remove the CPU off of the m/b because it is stuck (caused by the overheating problem). If I remove it I will break it......so I'm trying to claim back a replacement for both.

The graphics card is a separate issue - I'm not exactly sure what happened with it, but I think it also overheated because lines started occurring during gaming. It's an XFX GeForce X660 GT Extreme Gamers Edition.

I didn't overclock anything, so I'm not sure why such a disaster has occured to all three of these components after only 10 months of normal use!!!

In any case, I'm going to ask for a replacement of all 3 items from Overclockers, but they aren't making it easy for me as you can imagine. I have been contacting them through email and they have been very unhelpful :-(

I will persevere!!! This is over £300 worth of stuff!!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
TriplexDread said:
You have misread m8

The fan on motherboard is FUBAR he needs to change it

But they have old him he cant unless a CPU socket protector is in place when returned

I think maybe I did, I was actually thinking of the Northbridge fan packing up but it's actually the fan on the CPU cooler isn't it?

In which case OCUK are liable to replace motherboard/cpu/cpu cooler/graphics card a somewhat expensive RMA.

If I were the customer I'd tell whoever gave the request for socket protector to go forth and multiply and demand four RMA numbers.

And FWIW I've never seen a socket protector on a computer motherboard either.

muckshifter

Reaction score
Right, after some Googling I see what they are after ... it's an Inhell MB where the "pins" are on the MB and not the CPU ... LGA755 type ... stupid!!

So, whoever build the PC has this very important piece of plastic ... do they still have it?

Me stick with AMD. ;)

muckshifter

Reaction score
Here you go ...

Attachments

• P5AD2_lga775closed.jpg
    P5AD2_lga775closed.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 188

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Here you go ...

thats what i was talking about, that link wasn't exactly clear

if everythinkg still works and you only need a new north bridge fan you might as well buy one of the zalman passive heatsinks

Reaction score
Hi

Its an Asus A8N-SLi nForce SLi (Socket 939) PCI-Expr Motherboard. I'm not sure if this m/b has a socket protector??

And wouldn't I need to remove the CPU before I could put the socket protector back on? (CPU is stuck and impossible to remove without damaging both the m/b and the CPU)

P.S.The chip fan isn't the fan on the CPU, it's another small fan on the m/b.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Ah! - now we know what the Mobo is, it clarifies things a bit - the fan you are talking about is the chipset fan, and your right this mobo doesn't come with a socket protector.

Go back to OC's and tell them that you will be unable to remove the CPU due to the reasons you've stated - they will no doubt RMA both.

Reaction score
I don't think the CPU has been welded, but I do think that it might have got stuck, maybe from overheating.

If it is stuck then I don't think I am able to remove it without breaking something. I'm not experienced in handling computer components, and I am more than likely to damage something by short circuiting due to touching something I shouldn't.......I've damaged RAM in the past :-(

Ask a Question