What exactly causes this?

:

But then always having a full and complete backup of data is an essential
aspect of common sense computing. Data loss is an issue of when not if.

Very nicely said.

metro

db said:
If i were to guess i think that the
master file table (MFT) could not be
updated after your updates/downloads and
it simply needs to be syncronized to your file system
with the chkdsk utility- especially since it appears
you have never used it before!

What is your opinion of a corrupt bios? Prehaps an upgrade? if available.
Why would every thing work normal for a while and then go askew? twice?

Thanks,

metro

Og

Another possibly:
Although the occurrence is rare, data cables _do_ fail.
Try replacing the ribbon cable with a new one.
Steve

db

based on the information
you provided it could be
that the bios is askew.

the bios/cmos is like the
eyes of the system. And
if it does not see a hardware
connected, then you o.s.
is also blind.

in this case, if the cmos/bios may
not see the disk(s). you should
access your bios/cmos in accordance
to your computer manual or from
your pc's website and ensure the
bios/cmos acknowledges disk(s)
are connected.

if so then the hardware is ok.
the next step is to check the software
which would then be the file system on the
disks.

If the file system is askew, then
the programs, files, data, booting info
is askew too. So you need to get
all that chk'd and errors corrected; as mentioned
to you earlier.

you might ask why is it important
that the file system needs to be
maintained? And the answers can
be provide in a variety of analogies.
Like a car that needs regular tuneups
so does your computer which is also
a machine.

if cmos is ok, then go to recovery console
and run

chkdsk

fixboot

fixmbr

exit and reboot with your cd.

db said:
If i were to guess i think that the
master file table (MFT) could not be
updated after your updates/downloads and
it simply needs to be syncronized to your file system
with the chkdsk utility- especially since it appears
you have never used it before!

What is your opinion of a corrupt bios? Prehaps an upgrade? if available.
Why would every thing work normal for a while and then go askew? twice?

Thanks,

metro

db

should be read

"without cd"

db said:
If i were to guess i think that the
master file table (MFT) could not be
updated after your updates/downloads and
it simply needs to be syncronized to your file system
with the chkdsk utility- especially since it appears
you have never used it before!

What is your opinion of a corrupt bios? Prehaps an upgrade? if available.
Why would every thing work normal for a while and then go askew? twice?

Thanks,

metro

Spikey

"db" <databaseben.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
"db" <databaseben.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
based on the information
you provided it could be
that the bios is askew.

the bios/cmos is like the
eyes of the system.

Probably not an issue and a simplistic aproach - but have you changed the
battery on the mb? If the bios was starved of power momentarily would/could
that causes similar symptoms??

And back tracking did you update the bios when you put on XP - again I'm
assuming that it may not have started out with xp on it??

I do like to examine the simpler things first. I seem to remember someone
who had stripped the computer down to basics and buying a new power supply
before finding out the fuse in the plug had blown. lol!!

:blush:)