What are they talking about?

casey.o

I have a friend's computer here, which was not working right. The
problem was a fairly easy fix, apparently there was some a drive error
caused by a power failure. Chkdsk fixed it, and it's badly in need of a
defrag. But there is a farming program on it, which is missing a .DLL
file. The install package is on the HDD, but when I try to run it, it
says "Please make sure your CE Device or Pocket PC is connected before
continuing". HUH????? What the heck are they talking about? I dont
have a clue what this means.......

The owner of the computer knows nothing about computers, so they are of
no help. They just said the farm program dont work, and the computer
was acting weird. The "acting weird" part was probably because of the
disk errors, but I'm not sure what is needed to run the installer for
this farm program. What is a CE Device? and a Pocket PC????????

The program is a free progrram called Farm Works
http://www.farmworks.com

They are running an old version from 2002, but their computer is only
running XP SP1. The computer is a 2.0ghz but only has 384m ram. I
already suggested adding Ram and upgrading XP to SP3. I dont know if SP3
will even run on so little Ram.

Paul

[...]

The program in question, is for a mobile device.

http://farmworks.com/uk/forum/read.php?7,27876,27877

"...Farm Trac Mate and Farm Site Mate will work on any handheld device"

There is talk on the site, about using GPS. So if you're walking the
fields, apparently a portable computing device is part of the
planning/recording picture.

Maybe there is a second installer for the desktop ? I can see
some Office product downloads, on this page.

http://www.farmworks.com/support/downloads.php

The important thing is, to find the license keys
for the program(s). Or find a confirmation email,
as to what software was purchased (and whether the
license key is new enough to work with the software
released this year).

Paul

Ken Springer

What is a CE Device? and a Pocket PC????????

Basically, they are mini-computers, handheld, that existed before small
laptops of today. There were a lot of models from different companies,
some quite powerful for the day. Laptops back then were as thick as
books. LOL

I have one of the first smartphones out there, and it runs Windows
Mobile as the OS. Windows CE was just before that. These
mini-computers predate that or at the same time. I actually own one
from Atari, and it's based on DOS 2.11. I liked using it, but I have
the "fat finger" issue so that is always an issue.

http://oldcomputers.net/portfolio.html

There were some models that were basically a GPS handheld mapping device.

Go to Google Images and search on Pocket PC. That will give you an idea
of what they looked like.

--
Ken
Mac OS X 10.8.5

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Ken Springer said:
Basically, they are mini-computers, handheld, that existed before small
laptops of today. There were a lot of models from different companies,
some quite powerful for the day. Laptops back then were as thick as
books. LOL

Yes: Windows Compact Edition (there were actually several versions of
it). Sometimes in firmware. It always slightly amused me that nobody
inside Microsoft realised that it makes the word "wince". (Or even
better, someone _did_ realise but kept shtumm ...)
[]
Pocket PC was just another generic name for that type of device. (I
first came across them in a modified form, which was a GPS unit for the
blind: it had a sort of rubbery sleeve, with larger buttons, which
pushed onto the primitive touch screen the device had.)

Hot-Text

<[email protected]>
wrote in message
@4ax.com...
but their computer is only
running XP SP1.

Maybe IE 6 or 7
For the Auto Updates is off
Is why they do not for SP-3
and IE 8
The computer is a 2.0ghz
but only has 384m ram.
I already suggested adding Ram
and upgrading XP to SP3.
I dont know if SP3
will even run on so little Ram.

They Need a 120GB or more Hard Drive
For sp-3

128 Ram all you need for XP Sp-3 install

You have to have the install first SP-2
But you do have to update SP-2 at that time

But to install IE-8 next
then you have to go to IE-8
Internet Properties
And Delete all
Browsing history

Not to saved passwords

Then go Browsing history
Setting
go too
View Object
Delete All in that folder
Close All

Now in stall SP-3 Update

But Buyer Beware

? You know MCE 2006 XP Pro is
Not the same as XP Pro ?

It have it Own Rollup to Sp-2
Before you can can update to a SP-2 or a 3