What Are these Birds?

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Noticed these birds in the stream alongside lots of mallards but I just can't identify them. I've tried several bird books and there seem to be no matches, not even close.

attachment.php

This one is about the same size as the male mallards but the colours are a mystery. The bill was a very light green colour which doesn't show on this pic.

attachment.php

You can see on the pic that these two are quite a bit bigger than the female mallard in the foreground. Their size should mean that they a type of goose but again there is nothing remotely like them in the books, or on the net. :confused:

Are there any REAL ornithologists out there who can enlighten me?

Attachments

• DSCF2878AB.jpg
    DSCF2878AB.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 291
  • DSCF2879AB.jpg
    DSCF2879AB.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 296

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
A thousand thanks Mucks. :thumb:

Just the link I needed. I half suspected that the first one was a mallard because everything except the colours seemed so mallard-like. The bigger birds totally confused me but after reading your link it all fits into place. :)

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Yep after looking at your pics Niv I came to the conclusion they were just crossbreeds..Then Muck's link confirmed this..

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Thin pancakes an cucumber strips an the white of leek strips an plum sauce type of birds if you ask me.

:p(licking lips smiley)

Reaction score
nice birds they look lovely

good colours
where is that? N Yorkshire?

Ask a Question