Web Browser Grand Prix 2

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
"Once again, we find ourselves in a situation where multiple parties are claiming the speed crown. Obviously, all of these claims can't be true. The fact is, it's easy enough to produce favourable results supporting ANY browser. You can even do this for IE6 if you try hard enough. Simply pick a single benchmark or a group of potato-oriented tests and viola, there's the fastest browser ever! That is why we run all of them. If we find a valid benchmark that runs on every browser, we use it. While this is a follow-up to our original Web Browser Grand Prix, we have also included some standards compliance testing along with enhanced memory benchmarks. We feel that even though these tests do not directly affect speed, they are crucial to overall performance. But don't worry, we'll separate those benchmarks from our speed tests in the conclusion, so you'll still get to find out which Web browser is the fastest when judged purely on raw speed. Without further adieu, let's get to the testing!"

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/opera-10.60-internet-explorer-9-safari-5,2680.html

Still using Internet Explorer and claiming it is a good browser :Dread on and weep
laughingsmiley.gif

The above was posted using FF and Mandriva. (no command line was used in this exercise) ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've never said that IE8 (or any variation thereof) was any better than any of the other browsers, I use it simply because I like it. Tis true I was initially unimpressed by IE8 but I've got used to it and like it now.

And the fact that IE8 works well for me within three machines with XP, Vista and Win7 installed on them, with no problems at all and all web sites viewable, makes me stick with IE.

I've tried Firefox, as the horde recommended, and found it sucked large donkey balls, to coin a phrase.

That may not be true but it is my opinion and that's all that counts for me.

Let's look at the word 'Voila'. It's a french word and roughly translates as 'There you are!'. As in if a chef took a cake from an oven, laid it before the assembled throng with a pleased look on his boat he would proclaim 'Voila'.

So any writer of an article who confuses a french expression with a classical stringed instrument is obviously a complete numbnuts.

If FF is so great why am I constantly reading about bugs and crashes within it? Same goes for Chrome, so I hear, though I've never actually tried Chrome so can't really comment.

To clarify: I like Linux and it's whole philosophy; I think MS is owned and run by a bunch of devil spawn; I do like IE8; I don't like Firefox.

C'est La Vie, as Bewitched once warbled on Saturday morning television :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... but it's Chrome's excellent memory management and standards compliance scores (both non-speed tests) that keep Google the slight overall point leader.
I use Chrome. :D

I liked it ... now all we need is people to "fix" their websites/websoftware to comply with "standards" and we won't need to kill potatoes. ;)

:user:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I use FF cos I can funk it up easily and apparently it is a bit more secure than IE and cos vulnerabilities seem to get sorted quicker than in IE.

Ain't tried any of the other's mentioned.
user.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
FF is a bit more secure than IE is it?

Not what I read.

It was at one time but it's very popularity was possibly it's downfall as the scum of the earth (otherwise known as virus writers) turned their attention to the Foxy one.

Lemme see, average of 4 computers here, between them running four flavours of Windows, all using IE, 7 years, one virus (which was sent inadvertently by a friend who'd been hijacked).

Seems secure enough to me ;)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
FF is a bit more secure than IE is it?

Not what I read.

It was at one time but it's very popularity was possibly it's downfall as the scum of the earth (otherwise known as virus writers) turned their attention to the Foxy one.

Lemme see, average of 4 computers here, between them running four flavours of Windows, all using IE, 7 years, one virus (which was sent inadvertently by a friend who'd been hijacked).

Seems secure enough to me ;)

Yeah but if you only use those pc's to order Guinnes on-line and connect to Steam then they are hardly going to get a virus now are they.
laughingsmiley.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Yeah but if you only use those pc's to order Guinnes on-line and connect to Steam then they are hardly going to get a virus now are they.
laughingsmiley.gif

Guinness online? never thought of that let alone done it :confused: nah, I buy in bulk from whoever's cheapest out of Sainsburys; Tescos; Asdas and Makros. It's usually Asdas.

And I can assure you oh barbaric and unshaven one, I do sometimes browse in territories sometimes that perhaps should be avoided :D

The reason I don't get nasties is because I always use a.... oops, wrong subject. Um, I don't pick up viruses or malware cos I'm a little more savvy than most I suppose. And Antivir stops a lot of things in a live situation.

Now if I was a spotty 13-year-old with an online name like 'I love you but I am me innit' frequenting MSN and Facebook and Limewire I would probably be stricken once a week.

Let's put it this way, from what I read a person is just as liable to catch a virus through Firefox exploits as they are through Microsoft's offering.

And I will come back to my original reasoning. I don't like Microsoft; I do like Linux; I don't like Firefox; I do like IE. And I don't flag wave or have any product loyalty at all. Price and quality are the only two criteria for my choices.

Ask a Question