Way-hey! Adsl finally connected, but...

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hi guys, well after a bit of hair tearing yesterday (adsl activation day) all due.... or so it turned out, to needing a driver update for the Nvidia Network Controller.....(via Microsoft update) things are again up and running... phew! :lol:

Having successfully set up Vista, using the Netgear CD provided, etc., I have the Router Login symbol on the Vista desktop and all seems to be well. I then connected the XP Pro PC to the router, and before I could put the CD in, it had already connected to the internet and had seemingly sorted itself out without me having to do anything.

Thing is, should I run the CD anyway, just to get the same control on XP? And could that, do you suppose, be why I am not able to receive/send email via XP (although I can from Vista.) Slight conundrum and not sure how to proceed.

Thank you for looking :thumb:

Finding adsl very speedy, by the way, it is wonderful!! :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Good news that ADSL is up and running :D

No need to use the CD if it works already, unless there is anything you are missing (I guess it is just a link to the router login page?).

I don't think that should be why you can't use your e-mail on the XP machine, do you get an error at all?

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply Ian, yes it is mainly the router login page that I'm missing :nod:

Regarding the email prob - yes I am getting the "Unable to logon to the server using Secure Password Authentication" (I have tried un-ticking that particular box, but no joy. The other error message says "The host could not be found, please verify that server name etc., correctly entered. No, Socket Error: 11004, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D"

Probably something simple that I'm missing.... I seem to find that easy :lol:

Ooh - must update my details in here too, just remembered :rolleyes:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Are you trying to use your old e-mail account on your new ISP's connection by chance?

If not, how did you set up the connection? :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Are you trying to use your old e-mail account on your new ISP's connection by chance?

If not, how did you set up the connection? :)

No, I have deleted the old details and set up the new one, as per the instructions which came with the new ISP's activation e-mail. The details worked just fine on Vista, but strangely, XP seems a tad fussed.

The "incoming" and "outgoing" mailservers have an identical setting for each, i.e. server.mail.bloggs.ispname.co.uk

muckshifter said:
NO!!

Do not use their CD, unless, it is for drivers for the modem/router.

That is what I was meaning... whether Netgear needed to install that router-login icon on XP, because if Vista is ever in "dry-dock" I wonder whether I shall be able to access the router properly...... if you see what I mean?
:)

Thank you both for replying:D

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Taffycat said:
Hi guys, well after a bit of hair tearing yesterday (adsl activation day) things are again up and running... phew!

Finding adsl very speedy, by the way, it is wonderful!! :D

Congrats TC. :thumb: :thumb: Hope to be following you in the next few weeks. Still having problems with dial up crunching but soon be a thing of the past. :wave:

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
you shouldnt need the CD, i dont remember getting one with my router!?

i plugged it all in gave it a min and it just worked

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Oh great news Niv, you'll not regret it - worth all the wee hiccups to get a nice speedy connection, so good luck with yours :D

Wee update......I now have e-mail in XP... yay! :D I hadn't completely cancelled out part of my old dial-up settings ... duh! Think I felt so very chuffed at finally getting it up and running, that I got a bit carried away. Sorry about that, but thank you again for your help Ian and Mucks - you too ME__2001 :thumb: :D

Last edited:

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
One thing I've found is that Vista & XP do not like to talk to each other & sometimes find that if the XP machine is running then Vista can be a bit slow finding the internet. Apparently, from the searching I did, little fiddly problems of this type are not uncommon if you have both systems running off the same connection. Most of the time they run just fine... :rolleyes:
Is so good to hear you've got adsl :) It makes so much difference :nod: Even at the extra cost (& in NZ that is exorbitant) I still couldn't go back to dial-up. I just wish NZ would get it's speeds up to match the rest of the world. Down here they call 2G 'High speed' & that's as high as you can go!

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Aww thank you Ciri :D so far, the PCs are connecting without any bother, my biggest problem is shutting down again!! I know that there will be howls of "leave them on woman!!" ;) but as I have said previously, I generally prefer to close down overnight - or occasionally if we are not here during the day.

I used the Netgear's control panel and found the Status window. Using the "Disconnect" option it appeared to disconnect things on screen, but the modem-router's lights all still shone green and XP refused to close (had to use the button in the end, which wasn't good.) Vista, I just left on, because that too, will just not get any further than "Windows is shutting down" screen .... where it just hangs... and hangs...etc., until I again need to use that darned front button (which Vista really does not like - and who could blame it.) So please, if any of the Netgear DG834 hard-wired users could throw any light upon this, I would be soooo grateful :nod:

Thank you in advance :D

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
what do you mean by disconnect ? the only one i can think of is the adsl connection ? if its that you are talking about, you shouldn't be doing that especially not in the first week of being connected!

once the router is set up you should just leave it to do its thing in peace, when you turn off your computers leave the router alone

why your systems are hanging i really dont know

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply ME__2001 :) I am happy to leave the router alone .... but as I said, for some reason, the PCs won't shut down whilst it is running, so that is why I was looking for a solution and thought that it might be to tell it to "disconnect" from the internet.

Before the router was connected, they shut-down in the normal way, but now, they "refuse" to get past the shutting-down screen. I suppose it must be because they detect that a programme (only in this instance, the router) is still working, so they are waiting for it to stop :confused: Just guessing of course. Just wondered if there was some kind of way around it.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That is very strange TC, how long have you left them on the shut down screen for? If you pull the network cable from the back of the PC does it shut down properly?

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
That is very strange TC, how long have you left them on the shut down screen for? If you pull the network cable from the back of the PC does it shut down properly?

Thanks for your reply Ian :) ...I have waited for about 10-15 minutes, (normally, it would take about 30 seconds) and if I remove the cable...... it still continues to hang there. Very odd, as you say. As it was working fine previously, I don't think that it can be anything other than the Router that is causing the prob - particularly as it is happening in XP Pro too.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If you start up the PC without the cable, and then shutdown does it still do the same? I'm googling to see if I can find anything, but I bet that Mucks knows what this is off the top of his head :lol:

It sounds like some sort of problem releasing the network connection. I'll keep having a look and report back if I find something :thumb:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Yes, if I start up without the cable the PCs just revert to their "normal" obliging state :) (I actually had to do this on the day that I was setting things up, because as I was having problems connecting, I reverted to dial-up, so I pulled the cables so that I didn't cause a conflict.......that was my theory at least.)

It is very kind of you to bother Ian - I too have been Googling and even went to the Netgear website, but couldn't find the specific problem mentioned there. Looks like I will have to contact them directly.

It puzzles me a bit, that in the PDF manual which came with the Router, it keeps referring to "switch off the Router" before doing various things... however, there is no mention (that I have found) of how do do this (short of pulling the plug from the socket - which again, I am not keen on doing.) They make it sound as if there is an actual switch, which of course, there isn't. :(

Just as an aside... it says that the connection is 6624 mbps down stream and 448 mbps up stream, I know that BT will probably still be fiddling for a while yet, but it is making such a big difference :thumb: :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'd go with Me_2001's advice and not turn the router off for at least a week, just to let BT have a play :) Chris Imrie posted something a while back about how they tinker with the connection to test to see which is the most stable (and fast).

It might be worth leaving one of the PCs on for up to an hour and see if it does turn itself off at all - they should have a forced terminate timeout which kicks in and kills any processes still running that prevent shutdown. It might be that it has to shutdown properly once to work, although that is just a shot in the dark as I can't find anything online that might be applicable.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Well that sounds like a very fair shot to me Ian :thumb: thank you. It did occur to me that perhaps it would take a lot longer to "power down" of it's own accord... if at all...

I see that others are asking similar questions to me (various "Googles") and there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer, other than "switch off at plug, pull plug!" However, I want to give the BT guys chance to do their stuff too, so for the time being, will just try to leave everything on. (Not being stingy about electricity or anything... just tending to worry that I'm wearing out the PCs lol)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... wearing out the PCs
that "debate" will go on for a long time, but my take is ... on-n-off causes more wear-n-tare ... :D

Can't help directly on the wont shutdown problem ... it was actually quite common for some PCs to "hang on shutdown" when connected to Ethernet.

One of the best place to visit for shutdown problems is ...

http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.php

:user:

Ask a Question