New Broadband Set-up Needed

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I am moving house at the end of the month and will need to set up broadband there.

Currently I have Telewest cable which has been fantastically reliable, but unfortunately the new house is unable to receive cable :(

The previous occupiers had PlusNet ADSL via a Netgear Wireless ADSL Router connected to the master phone socket in the hallway and say it worked fine and seemed reliable.

Due to the number of machines I have I obviously don't want them in the hallway and would rather have them wired for better reliability - so my intention is to have them installed in one of the upstairs bedrooms.

I have never used ADSL broadband before so I need a bit of advice.

First Issue: If I use a high quality twisted pair RJ11 to RJ11 extention cable such as THIS from the hallway socket to a modem upstairs in the bedroom - will this be OK, or is it likely to cause signal quality problems? or am I better off having the master socket moved completely into the bedroom?

Second Issue: Do I use PlusNet as the previous occupiers have had, or do I change and go say with BT so that both line and broadband is under one roof?

Third Issue: What Wireless ADSL Broadband Router would folks recommend? - PlusNet&BT both supply BT Voyagers - are they OK? I currently use a Belkin Wireless Cable Router and it has been fantastically reliable, but I have seen some negative posts regarding the wireless range on their standard ADSL routers - what about Netgear/Linksys, and anyone here use a 3-Com router and can tell me their experience?

I think thats enough for folks to chew over for now - all help much appreciated :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You could use that cable without problems, it would basically be the same as moving the socket :) I have my router tucked away next to the master socket and all PCs just use wireless cards to connect (been really reliable now, no disconnections at all) - its about £10 per wireless card if you do go for that option. I used to use a 10m extension cable to use the router in wired mode next to my PC, but swtiched when I upgraded routers.

The previous people should have cancelled PlusNet ADSL and you are now free to use any ADSL service you want - I'd go with whichever gives you the best deal (I'm loving Demon.net at the moment, but there is another big thread somewhere with some other good ones).

The wireless modem/router most companies include should be fine - I've got a 3-com router now as a replacement for my old Belkin that kept disconnecting. The web interface is identical, as is the build of the unit so I suspect 3-com are rebadged Belkins (or vise versa). This particular 3-com unit has been great and was only £30 at a Staples sale.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Well now ... another advert for BT here. ;)

Yes ... RJ11 'extension' cable works sweet as a nut, that is a nice price for that 'twisted' cable in your link ... I got mine from Asda, £4.99 15M not-twisted in a 'wind-up' spool. I didn't know how long 15mtrs was. :rolleyes:

I have an eight-port Hub, all PCs connect to it, I use one of the ports as the up-link to the ADSL modem, the Modem BT supplied is very good indeed, Free if ordered on-line, and has the capability to have 10 Wireless connected PCs ... I do not use wireless. The 'Hub Manger' is easy to use, no need for any of their other software, install it if you like, easy to uninstall any of it ... I just use the hub manager.

My particular Modem has the "BT Fusion" bits-n-bobs included, that allows me to use my BT Mobile phone @ home using the Modem, I also have an 050 #, free ... you can also use your house phone via the Modem, but, you cannot make 0800 or 0845 calls, bit stupid, but I just use the ordinary line anyway for that. In effect, I have three phone lines, three phones, Free evening & weekend calls up-to 1 hour, just hang up @ 55mins and redial, free. :thumb:

Have a serious look at BT, they have some very keen packages, yes they may be a little dearer, but hell, you get what you pay for. I talked my brother into "going back to BT" and he is also very pleased ... :p

Ask if you need any more info ... choose who you like, but you will still pay BT for the line, one way or another. :D

user.gif

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Thanks Ian/Mucks for the advice :thumb: , I shall look into your various recomendations ;)

I will probably go for a combined ADSL wireless router rather than the BT thingy Mucks even if I go with BT as I'm not interested in all those extra bits and bobs - I will then attach my extra 4 port hub to it to give me the required ports for my machines.

PS. Anyone interested in having my Motorola Surfboard Cable Modem (Telewest) and Belkin Cable Wireless Router when I move - both have given me over 2 years unblemished service :thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I will probably go for a combined ADSL wireless router rather than the BT thingy Mucks even if I go with BT as I'm not interested in all those extra bits and bobs
Actually, the Modem has all these bit-n-bobs ready if needed ... it is a Router/Modem, forgot to say that, and it passes every security check I could throw at it, and some ... total stealth. :thumb:

You only get two Ethernet ports & one USB (a std thing with most ADSL routers) ... hence the reason to use a Hub as I don't do wireless.

Still, for me, I am pleased how easy it all works. :D

Oh, it ain't one of them Voyager thingies, it's that nice white box thing. ;)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Ok thanks I will look into that as well Mucks - and also Zen Internet as that always seems to get recommended (Flops ;) )

user.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I don't have a great deal of experience in this field, my current setup is the one I've always used for Broadband, before that I was on dial-up.

This setup works well for me and hasn't let me down in 3.5 years.

BT Phone line, ISP: Zen.co.uk

Zen = £25.00 per month; up to 8mb download speed; 2Gb web space; 20Gb bandwidth allowance a month (I've never used more than 9Gb); very good helpline (I've actually only used it once); monthly contract.

Main BT socket in hall; two sockets hardwired from that to living room and bedroom.

Netgear DG834 V2 ADSL Modem/Router connected to bedroom BT socket, also hands free Panasonic phone via splitter/filter.

Two computers in bedroom (currently) hardwired to router/modem; living room computer hardwired to router/modem.

Belkin two way KVM, Monitor/keyboard/mouse/audio used for the two bedroom computers.

Telephone/fax/answering machine connected via splitter/filter to living room BT socket.

A link to my router/modem: DG384 (that's actually the wireless version, mine is wired, but same model). My ISP recommends this one, although I didn't know that when I bought it.

Ok, that's more than you need to know, but that's what works well for me :)

EDIT:A link to Zen's site, showing wired version of my modem/router, the Netgear DG384, it costs £49.00

PS: All cabling done by myself, all network cables made by myself, to length required.

Reaction score
Right, read your post Ady, first off that ADSLNation RJ11 is great cable, so thumbs up to that, if your going to neatly wire it up then it should be fine, otherwise just get BT in to wire a second extension up, that way you have a guarantee over it should anything happen.

Regarding ADSL Routers, Billion, Netgear, Draytek are the way to go at the moment, all of which provide great throughput speeds and have the best reliability.

As for providers, i wouldn't base your ISP on the previous occupier, i would recommend Nildram to be honest for a great ADSL supplier, their the best at getting you settled in, customer service and all that, they will take great care of you.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
another user of the netgear DG834 series here, i have the DG834GT which has 108Mbps wireless as well, top piece of kit it practically set it self up and has given no problems, built in firewall has yet to fail any tests and is easy to configure, wireless covers the entire house and some of the drive and back garden

extending the phone line with that RJ11 wont affect the line quality much if at all, my set up is using the phone point furthest from the master which was wired in about 20 yrs ago and isn't exactly a short run but still gives me a 5.5Mbps connection, that then supplies my 2 PC's via cat 5 and the laptop, my mobile and PDA wirelessly

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Thanks everyone - lots to research here, I will let you know which way I jump :D

PS. Away 'till Monday evening :thumb:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
And the winner is............

Ok folks, here is my decision, after much ringing of the various recommended ISP customer services to sound them out, and extensive research on the net - I can announce the winner is..................................

Zen Internet on their Active 8000 service!!
nod.gif
(with a Netgear DG834G Wireless router)

I was very impressed with their speed in connecting to their customer service and also their manner and efficiency - the big disappointment was BT to be honest, after having to press a multitude of options to try to speak to a human, on one occasion I ended up being put through to an Indian answerphone message in urdu
wallbash.gif

Zen were not the cheapest, in fact they were probably the most expensive - but I am prepared to pay for a quality service - and they seem to have a very good reputation around the net.

Should have it up and running by next Wednesday, subject to BT getting their act together and doing their bit at the exchange :rolleyes:

user.gif

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've only heard good about Zen, Ady - so I'm sure you'll be pleased with them :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
At last, at last, another person who apreciates quality for a just a few quid extra.

I mean, c'mon, what's a few quid? It's just that drunken moment on a Friday evening when you brazenly utter those words 'It's my round'.

And then think, as you survey the seven mates around you 'Oh poop' :eek:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Good luck with BT getting there act together Ady....

Mate has done the same thing just moved and is having a hell of a job getting the tag removed from his BT line (don't know what a tag is) Neither did I...But it is something BT put on your line so as other internet providers cannot use it without BT first taking it off....Put there so you take there service and not another providers...

This my mate tells me is just about nigh on impossible to actually get bl**dy done, without first being put on hold for an hour at a time whilst BT pushes you around in an endless loop and then cuts you off, only for you to ring back and get the same treatment again...I was there I heard the bl**dy phone calls, It was a joke..And when he finally did get to speak to someone they told him that it was down to the provider to remove the tag, he then phoned his provider with that information and was told that only BT could remove it and it went on and on and on...

Until 3 weeks later it was finally removed and his provider was able to give him internet access...

BT = Bl**dy Twats...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I agree that BT are the pits but when I signed up to Zen I had no probs at all, I was online in about two days as I recall.

And I've been online ever since.

Mind you, that was in March 2003.

But, recently, two days ago, I upgraded my old Zen plan - 512K download, unlimited bandwidth - to their new plan - up to 8Mb download, realistically 4Mb most of the time (they told me that) and 20Gb a month bandwidth - and it was activated in 12 hours from placing the order. I was told it could take between 5 to 7 days.

The refreshing thing about Zen is they don't b******t you, they tell you what you get, they tell you how much it costs, then they don't mess you about.

They are a Rolls Royce dealer amongst a sea of Ford salesmen ;)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Nice analogy Flops - but as I've never bought a round I wouldn't know :D

Yep, quality of service and reliability are far more important to me than saving a few quid - I've already had 3 emails today from Zen giving me updates and account information/settings to get me up and running when the time comes, and I only ordered it this afternoon :cool:

As regards BT, I'm aware of the tag situation - its normally there as a indication of the line having previously/currently had an ADSL connection with an ISP. In my case the previous suplier was PlusNet, and I have spoken to them and they have confirmed they have cancelled the connection so there shouldn't be a problem.

Zen have assured me they will be doing all the harassing of BT on my behalf to get me up and running ASAP, its something they are used to doing by all accounts.

They have been honest and told me that even though its an 'up to 8mb' service, in reality I will get somewhere between 4 and 5Mb - there staff were extremely polite and helpful and even spent time after taking the order to answer my questions clearly and explaining exactly how to set up their email accounts/aliases/settings etc even though their site has it all there.

Overall I am very impressed so far - I will let you know how it goes from here :thumb:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Fair play Ady, I must say when i was migrating away from AOL, Zen and Nilly were top of the list for me. But when i was looking into them i found Zen LLU was not available on my exchange, so they were not an option. However Zen and Be Unlimited have been included this month.

Quality is also the biggest thing for me , if it dont work whats the point?
Now that my line has settled down after the first 10 day period, i hae been given a stable speed of 4.2MB, not bad at all. (AOL said i cant get more than 1meg on their max service!!)
laughingsmiley.gif
:rolleyes:

I know i must sound like i is banging on about it, but Nildram have been very good, emails to update me just as Zen have with you Ady.
I dont think i could pick between them, the only difference i can see is the download limits.

Anyway bottom line is, if your happy with it, then thats the main thing. :)

Ask a Question