Warning about FreeByte

Chakolate

I dl'd the zip utility from FreeByte to test yesterday. Now my antivirus
is giving me warnings (no virus, just peculiarities) on all the files I
opened with FBZ. Also, I can now no longer open those files with other zip
programs.

Chakolate

Mel

I dl'd the zip utility from FreeByte to test yesterday. Now my antivirus
is giving me warnings (no virus, just peculiarities) on all the files I
opened with FBZ. Also, I can now no longer open those files with other zip
programs.
Freebyte Zip grabbed the file associations for the .zip extension.

Susan Bugher

Chakolate said:
I dl'd the zip utility from FreeByte to test yesterday. Now my antivirus
is giving me warnings (no virus, just peculiarities) on all the files I
opened with FBZ. Also, I can now no longer open those files with other zip
programs.

Hi Chakolate,

Could you furnish a little more information please. Is this the app you
downloaded:

Program: Freebyte Zip
Author: Freebyte
Ware: (Freeware)
http://www.freebyte.com/

http://www.freebyte.com/fbzip/

Current version: 2.3
http://www.freebyte.com/download/fbzpack.exe
(342 KB)

What anti-virus app are you using (name, version)? What's your operating
system?

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://google.ca/advanced_group_search?q=+group:alt.comp.freeware

Chakolate

Freebyte Zip grabbed the file associations for the .zip extension.

But when I put it back, I still couldn't open the test files with
anything but FBZ. And unfortunately I tested it on my firefox setup
file, so to fix it I'd have to dl firefox all over again. :p

Chak

DW

Chakolate said:
But when I put it back, I still couldn't open the test files with
anything but FBZ. And unfortunately I tested it on my firefox setup
file, so to fix it I'd have to dl firefox all over again. :p

Chak
right-click on the file and use 'open with' option to select your
previous zip utility. There are registry edits that you can do to get
rid of these sorts of associations ... but not pleasant to do.

Chakolate

Author: Freebyte
Ware: (Freeware)
http://www.freebyte.com/

http://www.freebyte.com/fbzip/

Current version: 2.3
http://www.freebyte.com/download/fbzpack.exe
(342 KB)

What anti-virus app are you using (name, version)? What's your
operating system?

Susan

Yes, that's the version. I'm using Win2KPro on a dell machine, with
AntiVir 6.30.00.17. I successfully opened the Firefox setup file with
it, but AntiVir gave me 'warnings' that the files were corrupted. When I
changed the file associations, all the .zip files I hadn't opened with
FBZ worked fine, but when I tried to open the file with my regular zip
utility (7-zip) it told me it wasn't able to open the file.

Chak

Susan Bugher

Yes, that's the version. I'm using Win2KPro on a dell machine, with
AntiVir 6.30.00.17. I successfully opened the Firefox setup file with
it, but AntiVir gave me 'warnings' that the files were corrupted. When I
changed the file associations, all the .zip files I hadn't opened with
FBZ worked fine, but when I tried to open the file with my regular zip
utility (7-zip) it told me it wasn't able to open the file.

There are usually several possible causes for a problem - the trick is
to identify the culprit. In this case it sounds as if you may have had a
corrupt download.

I tried Freebyte Zip by Henk Hagedoorn. The app asks before writing to
the registry (there's an option to add an entry). It does not hijack
file extensions. (It has an option in the menu to associate files.) I
used InCtrl to monitor my system - no registry entries were added.

Based on my rather short acquaintance with it this seems like a good
useful app. IMO the warning you posted was unwarranted - you don't
really know what caused your problem.

Please don't bite the hand that feeds ACF - IOW - please don't post
warnings about Freeware sites and Freeware apps without *proof* of bad
behavior. IMO it's far better to post about a problem without
fingerpointing. . .

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://google.ca/advanced_group_search?q=+group:alt.comp.freeware

Chakolate

right-click on the file and use 'open with' option to select your
previous zip utility. There are registry edits that you can do to get
rid of these sorts of associations ... but not pleasant to do.

Let me restate: I *did* change the file association; when 7-zip tried to
unzip it, 7-zip declared that the file was not openable with 7-zip.

Chak

Chakolate

Based on my rather short acquaintance with it this seems like a good
useful app. IMO the warning you posted was unwarranted - you don't
really know what caused your problem.

Please don't bite the hand that feeds ACF - IOW - please don't post
warnings about Freeware sites and Freeware apps without *proof* of bad
behavior. IMO it's far better to post about a problem without
fingerpointing. . .

Did my original post indicate bad behavior by Freebyte? I don't think
so. I brought up a problem with it. Others who have the same problems
with it will want to know about it. That's what acf is for.

Whether the problem was from malicious intent, poor programming, or just
a corrupted download, the data point that I offered was there. Anyone is
free to ignore it if they choose.

And you are free to disagree if you choose. This is an unmoderated
usenet newsgroup, after all.

Chakolate

Susan Bugher

Chakolate said:
@newsfeed.slurp.net:
Did my original post indicate bad behavior by Freebyte? I don't think
so. I brought up a problem with it. Others who have the same problems
with it will want to know about it. That's what acf is for.

IMO "Warning about" *is* fingerpointing ("problem with" is not). YMMV. . .
Whether the problem was from malicious intent, poor programming, or just
a corrupted download, the data point that I offered was there. Anyone is
free to ignore it if they choose.

re data points. . .

Henk Hagedoorn wrote Freebyte Zip. Freebyte is one of his sites. His
Treepad program has been on the PL ever since it was started (PL2005
PL2004 PL2003 PL2002 PL2001 PL2000).
And you are free to disagree if you choose. This is an unmoderated
usenet newsgroup, after all.

Yup. You can post whatever you like. I'm requesting that you please try
to be a little "kinder" in your choice of language. You're free to
ignore my request.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware